Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[8.1] Prot m+/raid "viable"?

Hey there,

as far as i know Prot warrior gets a Vanguard buff, inore Pain off the GCD and some more abilities should be blockable in 8.1 (looking at you tol dagor).

Result seems to be a buff for prot warriors. So far so good.

Recently i heard in various videos/from friends/other guilds that "a lot of top guilds are gearing thier prot warriors for 8.1".

Is this true? Is it a super buff? Did i miss something? Are there other reasons why prot suddenly is cool?
    Or is it maybe just because of the new raid? Or can i expect to have a better time in m+?

I have the feeling that i missed some news.

Edited

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Define "viable" first. Because all tanks are viable already to a certain degree.
    Viable in terms of "Will this class be picked over someone else?" - Because right now i can tell: i read alot titles like "m+x run intime need tank NO WARRIS" or things like that. I doubt that the prot will be as powerful as a bdk or monk, but does this change make him so powerful that these headlines might disappear? (Content +1-10; general Mythic raiding)
    Last edited by swatsonqt; 2018-12-04 at 12:35 PM.

For me the IP change means a lot,it was something the warrior community asked since beta and even though we got ignored and that was a real pain (LUL) we get our wish

Define "viable" first. Because all tanks are viable already to a certain degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    For me the IP change means a lot,it was something the warrior community asked since beta and even though we got ignored and that was a real pain (LUL) we get our wish
    I also welcome that change feels good on the ptr...at least against the dummies xD

But does it make the warrior that more powerful? I mean ok...i have more global gcds to generate rage because the ones for using ip are now open but how much rage does that change bring? Can anyone with more knowledge do the math on this?
    I would somewhat say that for example in huge pulls i was already flooded with rage...so does that change make the warrior so much stronger?
    that's a question for prots who did some serious m+ or raids i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by swatsonqt View Post
    I also welcome that change feels good on the ptr...at least against the dummies xD

But does it make the warrior that more powerful? I mean ok...i have more global gcds to generate rage because the ones for using ip are now open but how much rage does that change bring? Can anyone with more knowledge do the math on this?
    I would somewhat say that for example in huge pulls i was already flooded with rage...so does that change make the warrior so much stronger?
    Losing 750 haste for not being in Uldir diminishes the Ignore Pain change in raids, but it's still pretty amazing in M+.

It won't make you capable of doing anything you couldn't before, but it'll make what you can do a lot better.

Also, they've basically completely abandoned the azerite system with 8.1 by putting every good trait that exists on either the fouth or fifth rings, so expect to be quite a bit stronger because of that. They've also removed the cap on Deafening Crash duration stacking, so 20% dmg reduction and 15% dmg done is within everyone's grasp.

Opening a GCD slot every few seconds is "almost" a big deal for a class that is GCD locked (read: have something to press every single GCD). It lets you to squeeze more abilities and in general feels much smoother. But it's a still more quality of life change than anything.

Warriors also get -2 seconds off Shield Block CD and armor/stam 5% boost on top of that IP change.

Will it bring warriors to Death Knights level? Of course not, they still require a lot of healing and susceptible to damage spikes if played sloppy. But you should never be in a position where having prot warrior is a downside compared to DK/BRM/Pal/DH unless you're in a top 100 guild.

- - - Updated - - -

i read alot titles like "m+x run intime need tank NO WARRIS" or things like that
    You will never change mentality of these people. Unless Blizzard would break another spec to be OP, all fotm whiners will be the same.

Honestly, you can be thankful to them as I would rather not run any m+ dungeons with people like that. It's a double win for both parties involved. You're just dodging a bullet not being invited there.

Quote Originally Posted by stross01 View Post
    Also, they've basically completely abandoned the azerite system with 8.1 by putting every good trait that exists on either the fouth or fifth rings, so expect to be quite a bit stronger because of that. They've also removed the cap on Deafening Crash duration stacking, so 20% dmg reduction and 15% dmg done is within everyone's grasp.
    They are not going forward with Deafening Crash hange? I double checked wowhead list of changes and it's no longer there! Gosh following PTR change is hard...
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

Deleted
    Hey there,

as far as i know Prot warrior gets a Vanguard buff, inore Pain off the GCD and some more abilities should be blockable in 8.1 (looking at you tol dagor).

Recently i heard in various videos/from friends/other guilds that "a lot of top guilds are gearing thier prot warriors for 8.1".

Is this true? Is it a super buff? Did i miss something? Are there other reasons why prot suddenly is cool?
    Or is it maybe just because of the new raid? Or can i expect to have a better time in m+?

Edited

Viable in terms of "Will this class be picked over someone else?" - Because right now i can tell: i read alot titles like "m+x run intime need tank NO WARRIS" or things like that. I doubt that the prot will be as powerful as a bdk or monk, but does this change make him so powerful that these headlines might disappear? (Content +1-10; general Mythic raiding)
    Top guilds always gear Classes that where announced to get buffed to be on the safe side and just because they can. Maybe there is something in the 8.1 raid where warriors can shine (Blockable tank buster abilitys are actually a joke for warriors).

But so far there isn't enough changes to make prot top of the line. If you want to pick up a tank play DK or Monk to be on the save side. Tanks for top guilds usally have 4-5 different classes to pick the best for a job. They are probabbly equipping there dk, monk, druid and DH too....

can we get confirmation on the deafening crash cap being gone?

that's massive news imo

nvm: fuckin amazing nice.

Quote Originally Posted by stross01 View Post
    Losing 750 haste for not being in Uldir diminishes the Ignore Pain change in raids, but it's still pretty amazing in M+.

It won't make you capable of doing anything you couldn't before, but it'll make what you can do a lot better.

They have not removed the cap on DC extension, wtf are you talking about

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    They are not going forward with Deafening Crash hange? I double checked wowhead list of changes and it's no longer there! Gosh following PTR change is hard...
    They are. It's still there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by regularspecial View Post
    can we get confirmation on the deafening crash cap being gone?

that's massive news imo

nvm: fuckin amazing nice.
    It's not gone. Still 6 seconds max extension.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there,

Edited

Prot is already the highest physical mitigation tank on live. The changes are making it significantly more forgiving to play, significantly less clunky, and mitigate absolutely insane amounts of physical damage. Right now, on ptr, a 416 prot warrior has ~12k armor, which is 66% reduction, and ~365k hp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also curious about their viability in 8.1. I've seen lots of high end guilds start leveling up their Prot Wars and gearing them up which means they think they ~might~ have some usefulness in the new raid.

Warrior was my OG character that I've had since vanilla, would be cool if I can level him up again so I can tank without guildies laughing at me.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Also curious about their viability in 8.1. I've seen lots of high end guilds start leveling up their Prot Wars and gearing them up which means they think they ~might~ have some usefulness in the new raid.

Warrior was my OG character that I've had since vanilla, would be cool if I can level him up again so I can tank without guildies laughing at me.
    Every spec in the game is viable beyond ~top 50 world prog. That said, obviously yes. Prot is looking very strong as a raid tank in 8.1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deciticus View Post
    Every spec in the game is viable beyond ~top 50 world prog. That said, obviously yes. Prot is looking very strong as a raid tank in 8.1
    By 'viable' 99% of the time, we are referring to world first level of viable. Of course every spec in the game is viable.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

By 'viable' 99% of the time, we are referring to world first level of viable. Of course every spec in the game is viable.
    well, since the newest blood nerfs over the weekend, ive been hearing more monk/prot talk for next tier. but who knows. 6 weeks before that goes live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    well, since the newest blood nerfs over the weekend, ive been hearing more monk/prot talk for next tier. but who knows. 6 weeks before that goes live.
    BrMs also got more nerfs to stagger, think it's now 6% instead of 3%. Probably still no enough to dethrone them though.

I mean, the monk nerf is largely going to be due to how stagger scales with agi in BFA, and (very slightly) to punish bad play more. The dk nerf, on the other hand, is just a hard nerf to armor, roughly 18% ehp to physical damage.

BrMs also got more nerfs to stagger, think it's now 6% instead of 3%. Probably still no enough to dethrone them though.
    consesnsus from the monk discord is "nobody cares". so im guessing you are right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deciticus View Post
    I mean, the monk nerf is largely going to be due to how stagger scales with agi in BFA, and (very slightly) to punish bad play more. The dk nerf, on the other hand, is just a hard nerf to armor, roughly 18% ehp to physical damage.
    you can go onto the ptr and grab all 415 gear from vendors. at that gear level ive been told stagger is pretty much back to where it is now. havent checked myself yet though.

10+ Year Old Account
    If by viable you mean "can force to make work" then yes. Ignore Pain changes and even the new Avatar azerite trait seem very nice. However, it seems like Blizzard is holding off making any real changes because once Prot Warriors are back to 30% and beyond haste we'll start scaling very well, which means Prot Wars are going to get benched until the last tier.

If by viable you mean "work in any situation" then no. Hell to the fuck no. DH and DK are still kings. Paladin, Druid, and Monk have useful raid utility. Prot Warrior is dead last in utility and self-healing.

Prot warrior is still not good for competitive-anything. You can just force it to work by having the entire group compensate/carry its faults.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

that 16gb of patch you downloaded won't be enough to fix prot warrior. And guess what they buffed blood dk even more.

The patch doesn't really change much other than quality of life issues. Yes, Prot got some small buffs but is still very good at what it was good at before and still very weak at what it was weak at before.

IP change makes it way smoother to play tho so I'm excited.