Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Real question is it worth moving WoW to an SSD?

For those who actually have WoW installed to an SSD drive is it worth it? Are load times cut down majorly? Or is it hardly noticeable?

I've got a 240gb SSD so I wonder if its worth moving WoW to it.

had it on my old -> lags and immense loading times for isntances
    ssd -> much much smoother and faster loading

I haven't posted in years but I had to in this case. Yes, move WoW to your SSD, you'll thank yourself for it.
    Mages suck.

I have seen no other game where putting the game on as SSD had so much impact than WoW.

Deleted
    If your ssd has no space problem, yes.

It very much is.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Well, just yesterday I had to move my WoW folder to a mechanical hard disk (a fast, newer one) from my small SSD to download the 16 giga 8.1 patch. When I logged in, I was really surprised (and annoyed) from how slow was everything to load. So yes, absolutely put WoW on an SSD if you can, is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane-Thunder-God View Post
    For those who actually have WoW installed to an SSD drive is it worth it? Are load times cut down majorly? Or is it hardly noticeable?

In the time it took you to post this you could have moved WOW to your SSD and see the amazing results for yourself!

yes yes and....YES

Much faster.

I really noticed the difference when I was doing the Beta, which isn't on my SSD. The loading times were suddenly extreme, compared to what I had gotten used to.

If you can put WoW on a SSD hard drive, you totally should. It's a really good decision.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, since vanilla it's been the biggest improvement I have seen from any single component upgrade.

To put it in perspective, back before the CRZs/phasing bullshit was implemented I managed to open the gate of Kharazhan on my main then relog to an alt who didn't have the key and walk in before the gate closed /likeaboss.

I'm convinced WoW hasn't been optimized for HDD for 2 expacs now. Put it on a SSD, Blizzard could as well stop listing HDD in the supported hardware configurations.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is improved so much on an SSD. Also make sure you do some network todying up to improve connectivity.

Wowww thanks guys! I was not expecting such positive responses to WoW on the SSD cause i thought the loading may be server side and not have much of an impact on what disk drive you use....

Really shocked by all your responses, gonna do this when i get home from work!

The server only tells the client what to load. All the graphical assets are clientside. And with over 50gb, that's a lot.

WoW would have ridiculous bandwidth consumption otherwise.

Insane difference, yes.

Before I got an SSD, I really didn't think there could be much of a difference... but I swear by that shit now. My load times are normally around 10-15 seconds at most. In legion I would try to avoid to activities that require me to go to a different continent other than broken shore because of the 2-3 minute load times I was getting at the time. Hands down, no brainer, just do it, get an SSD and laugh at how fast you load in, change toons, etc.

Not even a question.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, you should install all your games on SSD - except for small indie pixel games and oldschool games maybe. If you don't have enough space get a 500GB or 1TB SSD. They are not expensive anymore.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

I have an old computer, so load times were crazy. As an example, my load times were so long during legion that, when I tried to go to dalaran (new), my character would be /afk by the time game loaded. This is not a joke, I would see the "You are now afk" message after the loading screen.

With ssd, and with countless new add-ons, I get loading screens like 30 seconds tops (Still an old PC so...)