Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Trump on debt crisis: "I won't be here" when it blows up

Trump shrugs off future debt crisis: ‘I won’t be here’

President Trump is dismissing the importance of paying down the national debt, saying he won’t be in office to take blame for the nation's fiscal crisis when it becomes even more unsustainable, according to a report Wednesday.

The national debt sits at $21 trillion and counting. As a candidate, when the national debt was $19 trillion, Trump promised to erase the entire debt “over a period of eight years.”

Senior administration officials showed Trump charts and graphics in early 2017 that illustrated a “hockey stick” spike in the debt in the coming years. Trump said the data showed the national debt would only become untenable after he left office, the Daily Beast reported.

“Yeah, but I won’t be here,” Trump said.

People close to the president told the news outlet that the national debt never actually bothered Trump, despite his public comments about it.

“I never once heard him talk about the debt,” one former White House official said.

White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said it’s also the responsibility of Congress to cut back on spending.

“While the president has and will continue to do everything in his power to rein in Washington’s out-of-control spending, the Constitution gives Congress the power of the purse, and it’s time for them to work with this president to reduce the debt,” he said.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...i-wont-be-here

Party of fiscal responsibility everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

That's the stance of most politicians... and honestly, most Americans. It's selfish as can be, and exactly why fiscal conservatism is dead in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

They never were. Nor were they ever really about family values, or being compassionate conservatives, nor about small government, nor about getting government out of peoples daily lives. Just a bunch of shit people projecting and trying to control women and minorities since the 60s. Yet people ignore the facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's the stance of most politicians... and honestly, most Americans. It's selfish as can be, and exactly why fiscal conservatism is dead in this country.
    Since modern time it has never really been a thing. The GOP has always run up greater deficits than the Dems with a couple of exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    They never were. Nor were they ever really about family values, or being compassionate conservatives, nor about small government, nor about getting government out of peoples daily lives. Just a bunch of shit people projecting and trying to control women and minorities since the 60s. Yet people ignore the facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Since modern time it has never really been a thing. The GOP has always run up greater deficits than the Dems with a couple of exceptions.
    Oh, I'm very well aware, it's a selfish mentality to have. People think they are being generous when they push for things like Social Security and health care for all,, but forcing future generations to pay for it is fucking vile.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's the stance of most politicians... and honestly, most Americans.
    I mean, usually they at least try to lie.

I mean, usually they at least try to lie.
    Sadly, most Republicans and Democrats are only lying to themselves. They are selfish assholes when it comes to such things.

So basically his official position is basically to set everything up to really hurt America starting as soon as he is out of office. I guess this would make him look good in comparison?

It's the next (likely Democrat) president's fault! We need another Republican president to take office after the Democrat fixes the economy so that he can take credit for it.

The old man is running out of fucks to give and stops pretending. Good.

Won't stop his cult, but watching them knot themselves into pretzels "What me meant was" could be entertaining...

Too bad they too have stopped trying and we're only getting low-effort content from them right now.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Too bad they too have stopped trying and we're only getting low-effort content from them right now.
    Most of them have reverted to screaming about women and posting their murder fantasies aimed at their political opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    So basically his official position is basically to set everything up to really hurt America starting as soon as he is out of office. I guess this would make him look good in comparison?
    Basically, blow up public debt by cutting taxes but not spending, then leave office and blame the Democrats for it when it explodes. That way they either have to cut programs and not deliver their campaign promises or continue to balloon the deficit, either of which they can exploit. And block their funding once they have enough seats. And then pretend they're fiscally responsible libertarians lol.

It's been their strategy for a while, but most of them aren't retarded enough to say it out loud. See, this is the problem when one party uses the system entirely in bad faith. You can't vote people into government that don't believe in government. It's like making Guy Fawkes King.

The only difference with Trump is that it doesn't even have a long term partisan component in his case. He just literally gives no shits what happens to the country (or the Republican Party) once he's out. We all know he'll just lie whatever happens anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what I haven't heard Republicans say in a long time? Anything about wanting to elect someone who ran a business and how awesome they'd be at running the government.

I wonder if we'll ever hear that again?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    At least Trump realizes he's being removed in the next few months, if he's acknowledging he won't be here when the debt crisis blows up.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    You know what I haven't heard Republicans say in a long time? Anything about wanting to elect someone who ran a business and how awesome they'd be at running the government.

I wonder if we'll ever hear that again?
    Memory of a pregnant goldfish. Bush was barely out of office when they started calling Democrats warmongers. They'll bring all their old talking points back after the next factory reset on their brains.

15+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that the American way?

Republican president fuck up the deficit and debt
    Democratic president takes office and deal with it as best they can.
    Republican president takes over the office cos of the "pitifull" fiscal responsibility of the previos democratic president.
    *tax cuts for the "common man"*, throw in a war or two
    Democratic president takes office and deal with it as best they can.
    Republican president takes over the office cos of the "pitifull" fiscal responsibility of the previos democratic president.
    *tax cuts for the "common man"*

Last edited by Bakis; 2018-12-06 at 03:12 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Isn't that the American way?
    Well... it's the Trump way. It's how he's treated more or less all of his failed business ventures. If you want to hold Trump up as an example of Americanism I wont stop you, but we're not all like that.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    "White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said it’s also the responsibility of Congress to cut back on spending."
    Too bad Trump ran on the promise of balancing the budget. That sounds like admission that Trump made an unkeepable promise. Oh, and of course, he still signed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    It's the next (likely Democrat) president's fault! We need another Republican president to take office after the Democrat fixes the economy so that he can take credit for it.
    Seems like that's destined to be the cycle for the foreseeable future... Republican administrations screw up the economy, and then use the fact that the Democratic administration can't miraculously clean up their mess fast enough to help propel themselves back to power 8 years later. It's fucking ridiculous.

I'm detecting a pattern