Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'm actually a pretty big fan of the NRS fighting engine (MK9+/Injustice+). I just find it clean to execute and doesn't require obscene links like SF/BB required of me (as I've gotten older I'm a bit slower). The animations were always pretty average, and certainly a weak spot in the genre.

That said, I do have to give credit. MK is usually pretty solid on innovating within itself. I look at SF4/5 and it's the same game with the same animations and same abilities. Same thing within BB. Even Tekken feels like the same game with no real changes for years.
    SFIV and SFV are not even close to being the same game lol. Also if you have trouble doing links in modern GG or SF the problem isn't you being slow, literally everything is buffered in those games now. BB execution is still sort of hard, but wouldn't expect it to be once team blue stops reusing their old ass sprites and actually makes a new game. No game team red has made recently has hard execution. SFV doesn't have hard execution(which a few exceptions like Menat), Tekken 7 execution is literally a flow chart and how good of a Tekken player you are will be determined by how good your movement is, not if you can do combos or not.

But yea dude comparing SF4 and 5 as "the same game" makes it hard to take you serious. One of them is super defensive, super hard execution with 1F links and an OS party and the other is super offensive, super easy execution with everything being behind a 3F buffer, and a game where most of the cast plays for come back robberies with VT. They aren't in any universe similar outside of their names and characters. MK11 literally looks like a dlc pack to MK10 compared to how different SF4 and 5 are as games.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-04-29 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    Calling MK12 roster now (wishful thinking incoming, also not a complete roster!):

- Scorpion and Sub Zero (still buddies, and not including them is an insult to fans).
    I don't think a Mortal Kombat game without Scorpion and Sub-Zero is possible - not as long as Ed Boon has anything to say about it, anyway. Scorpion is his favorite character, after all.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thoughts about the Game:

1. I liked the new Kitana/Jade looks. I get why people are upset that they're clothed (no really, I do). I think the best solution is to give players both. Want to be a realistic Asian ninja? Sure. Want to be nude? Can do that too. It's weird how some people bitch and moan about animated tittes instead of excessive gore and violence, but meh.

2. Love how Fatal blows can only happen once a fight now. Can't count the number of times when someone did an X-Ray on wakeup to steal a round or match from me. Minimizing this shit is a good thing in my book.

3. That Jax Arcade ending was the cringiest most forced bullshit I've ever seen. Fans have a right to be mad. They won't get any more Jsx for what, 6-7 years..and they're left with that shit?

If you want to get that shit taste out your mouth, I recommend Jacqui's ending. You're welcome.

I'm on Ps4. Tag is Bigzoman893. Kitana is my bae. Come get bodied.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2019-04-30 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    SFIV and SFV are not even close to being the same game lol. Also if you have trouble doing links in modern GG or SF the problem isn't you being slow, literally everything is buffered in those games now. BB execution is still sort of hard, but wouldn't expect it to be once team blue stops reusing their old ass sprites and actually makes a new game. No game team red has made recently has hard execution. SFV doesn't have hard execution(which a few exceptions like Menat), Tekken 7 execution is literally a flow chart and how good of a Tekken player you are will be determined by how good your movement is, not if you can do combos or not.

But yea dude comparing SF4 and 5 as "the same game" makes it hard to take you serious. One of them is super defensive, super hard execution with 1F links and an OS party and the other is super offensive, super easy execution with everything being behind a 3F buffer, and a game where most of the cast plays for come back robberies with VT. They aren't in any universe similar outside of their names and characters. MK11 literally looks like a dlc pack to MK10 compared to how different SF4 and 5 are as games.
    Tekken's always been about movement. No argument there. You also mentioned BB execution so no comment there (note: I haven't played BBCTAG, so if it's changed there I wouldn't know).

Now I know you're an SF fanboy. We've had these discussions in the past. I will never disrespect SF's clout in the FGC or its pedigree, but for a casual player, it does have tough execution if you want to land BNBs. SFV is definitely easier than SF4, but it's still very similar. VT really isn't any different mechanically than Ultra's were. You still don't get them until towards the end of the match although VT's defensive options are better than Ultra's non-existent option.

MK11 fighting engine wise I agree, hasn't really changed much, my innovation comment was more directed towards their tech improvements rather than actual gameplay improvements. I could have clarified that better.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Supernova View Post
    So apparently this game is now banned and no longer playable in Ukraine, according to my Ukrainian friend who pre-ordered months ago and was playing on release and for some reason can no longer access it, Said something about a certain skin causing controversy that led to the game being pulled from Ukraine stores.
    What skin is causing controversy?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    3. That Jax Arcade ending was the cringiest most forced bullshit I've ever seen. Fans have a right to be mad. They won't get any more Jsx for what, 6-7 years..and they're left with that shit?

If you want to get that shit taste out your mouth, I recommend Jacqui's ending. You're welcome.
    To be fair X ended with him being shot and killed by a nobody like black so him going full waknda is a step up. Though for the first time ever it’s seeming like there are no canon endings while most of the time some are plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    1. I liked the new Kitana/Jade looks. I get why people are upset that they're clothed (no really, I do). I think the best solution is to give players both. Want to be a realistic Asian ninja? Sure. Want to be nude? Can do that too. It's weird how some people bitch and moan about animated tittes instead of excessive gore and violence, but meh.
    People bitch because of the insane amount of hypocrisy over this from Ed Boon, he is perfectly fine with his female characters being torn apart violently and having their guts splashed all over the screen, but showing skin? oh god no we can't have that, that's so in the past and we are a "realistic" and a "mature" company now.
    And for some reason that doesn't count for the male characters.

They are bending the knee to people who would have put the franchise on a chopping block in the past, and still will.
    MK have been through this rodeo before, shitheads with political goals would see the games censored and banned, and now they are bending the knee to them instead of having some balls like they used to.

The monetization in the game is also a huge problem, and the game media is trying to sweep the complaints about that under the rug using the "lol stop caring bout ur anime tiddies xD" horseshit.
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2019-04-30 at 05:40 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    People bitch because of the insane amount of hypocrisy over this from Ed Boon, he is perfectly fine with his female characters being torn apart violently and having their guts splashed all over the screen, but showing skin? oh god no we can't have that, that's so in the past and we are a "realistic" and a "mature" company now.

They are bending the knee to people who would have put the franchise on a chopping block in the past, and still will.
    MK have been through this rodeo before, of shitheads with political goals in their head would see the games censored and banned, and now they are bending to the knee to them instead of having some balls.

The monetization in the game is also a huge problem, and the game media is trying to sweep the complaints about that under the rug using the "lol stop caring bout ur anime tiddies xD" horseshit.
    It’s unlikly they are bending a knee to any one and rather just want a change. They are clearly willing to show skin as they do it with cetreon the Kano ending and even some npcs in game. Why they didn’t return any old customs is up in the air but they haven’t ruled out all skimpy outfits.

As far as monetization goes its a pretty big non issue after actually playing. The shop has next to nothing in it with a limit of 6 items and you can’t buy coins or gear or most things. The grind is an issue but will hopefully get fixed and the whole 8k to get every thing is nonsense with how the shop functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It’s unlikly they are bending a knee to any one and rather just want a change.
    Yes, I'm sure the amazingly progressive company known as NRS throwing 100 hour work weeks on their employees, not letting females into creative meetings, and heads of studio that leave at dinner while their staff is forced to work is just covering up the females because they're good guys with the best intentions

The reality is, they like a lot of western companies in all of media thinks they can make money by earning brownie points from the "woke" crowd. Only they aren't even close to being good at it, and it just comes away looking like a shit product and no one is buying their company as good guys anyways(because their company is ran by a bunch of ass holes, so obviously)

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

MK have been through this rodeo before, shitheads with political goals would see the games censored and banned, and now they are bending the knee to them instead of having some balls like they used to.

I agree with you.

That last part wasn’t directed at fans.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I'm sure the amazingly progressive company known as NRS throwing 100 hour work weeks on their employees, not letting females into creative meetings, and heads of studio that leave at dinner while their staff is forced to work is just covering up the females because they're good guys with the best intentions

The reality is, they like a lot of western companies in all of media thinks they can make money by earning brownie points from the "woke" crowd. Only they aren't even close to being good at it, and it just comes away looking like a shit product and no one is buying their company as good guys anyways(because their company is ran by a bunch of ass holes, so obviously)
    If your gonna cut up my post to build strawmen I can’t say I’m really interested. They already have characters showing skin as I pointed out and you edited out.

If your gonna cut up my post to build strawmen I can’t say I’m really interested. They already have characters showing skin as I pointed out and you edited out.
    You where interested enough to reply, and it's a fallacy to claim they are doing anything to be progressive when their company is anything but progressive. You can't just brush off facts as "lul it's a strawman!".

The reality is they design their characters and game off what their research says will make the most $, let's stop acting like NRS of all people have creative direction. They are literally the opposite of creative.

This is a direct quote from Ed Boon.

Well, it made a little more sense to have them dressed, especially if they're going to be in combat. I don't know how many people wear a bikini to a fight. And also with technology, especially with Mortal Kombat 11, we're able to display our characters with more fidelity, detail and realism than we ever have, and that includes materials, like we can suddenly do something that really looks like leather, like steel, like cloth, like suede, like velvet, you know? All of those things we didn't have the ability to do before, and so that lets us make much more interesting, realistic costumes, and so we really just kind of gravitated in that direction.
    Yeah nah, he is a lying piece of shit, full of hypocrisy.

What skin is causing controversy?

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair X ended with him being shot and killed by a nobody like black so him going full waknda is a step up. Though for the first time ever it’s seeming like there are no canon endings while most of the time some are plausible.
    I believe it's the Russian exclusive skin, cold war or something. Which the Ukrainian government have a problem with.

Tekken's always been about movement. No argument there. You also mentioned BB execution so no comment there (note: I haven't played BBCTAG, so if it's changed there I wouldn't know).

Now I know you're an SF fanboy. We've had these discussions in the past. I will never disrespect SF's clout in the FGC or its pedigree, but for a casual player, it does have tough execution if you want to land BNBs. SFV is definitely easier than SF4, but it's still very similar. VT really isn't any different mechanically than Ultra's were. You still don't get them until towards the end of the match although VT's defensive options are better than Ultra's non-existent option.

MK11 fighting engine wise I agree, hasn't really changed much, my innovation comment was more directed towards their tech improvements rather than actual gameplay improvements. I could have clarified that better.
    SF4 and SF5 are literally nothing a like btw... has nothing to do with being a fan. There is a reason SF5 is extremely polarizing with people that came into the scene with SF4, because SF5 plays closer to being a sequel to 3rd strike then it does to SF4.

And yea, execution in SF5 outside of a handful of combos on 3 total characters in the game is very easy. Optimal combos are very easy. Everything is eaten in a 3f buffer you don't need to properly time shit anymore, just mash out the fucking combo lmao. The only people SF5 combos would be hard to is people that can't even handle doing a DP motion. SF4 combos where brutal and would take eeons of time to practice, in SF5 you should be able to handle BNBs after an hour in training mode with a character.

Like, I'm not even sure how you make SF5 easier without flat out taking away traditional fighting game inputs and giving everyone optimal auto combos. It's already a pretty damn easy game, the skill in SF5 comes mostly from reading your opponent and/or knowing matchups it's not a very technical game at all.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-04-30 at 08:01 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    You where interested enough to reply, and it's a fallacy to claim they are doing anything to be progressive when their company is anything but progressive. You can't just brush off facts as "lul it's a strawman!".

The reality is they design their characters and game off what their research says will make the most $, let's stop acting like NRS of all people have creative direction. They are literally the opposite of creative.
    I haven’t claimed they are doing any thing to be progressive as I don’t think they are. I already pointed out a few things that wouldn’t make sense if they were going for progressive.

There is also a ton of creative direction in Mortal Kombat and injustice between things like the intros the story’s the clashes ect ect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Supernova View Post
    I believe it's the Russian exclusive skin, cold war or something. Which the Ukrainian government have a problem with.

Ah i remember that one.

There is also a ton of creative direction in Mortal Kombat
    Nothing says creative direction like using a large part of your budget on getting Ronda Rousey who can't act worth a shit to play one of your characters for you. Their games are as shallow as a kiddy pool, creatively or otherwise.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is a direct quote from Ed Boon.

Yeah nah, he is a lying piece of shit, full of hypocrisy.
    https://i.gyazo.com/e55fc64b185477f1...a469493d2c.png
    Even if true none of that points to neatherrealm giving into any one as they are willing to show skin like the examples I gave you before.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing says creative direction like using a large part of your budget on getting Ronda Rousey who can't act worth a shit to play one of your characters for you. Their games are as shallow as a kiddy pool, creatively or otherwise.

Again don’t care about your starwmen. If you want to talk about the stuff I actually posted about let me know.

BB execution is still sort of hard, but wouldn't expect it to be once team blue stops reusing their old ass sprites and actually makes a new game.
    BlazBlue has some of the hardest execution characters I've ever played. Special shout out to Naoto, who has a 1 frame micro dash into a forwards command normal in a couple of his combos. It's no wonder the guy's hand is always red, it's freaking bleeding from having to play as himself all the time! On the other hand, BlazBlue also has some of the easiest execution characters in the genre, yes even easier than Ed and Falke in SFV. Mai can get upwards of 3k damage by mashing a single button, Noel can push out crazy damage with her Drive chains and Celica has solid auto combo damage that heals her when it's over.

Optimal combos are very easy. Everything is eaten in a 3f buffer you don't need to properly time shit anymore, just mash out the fucking combo lmao. The only people SF5 combos would be hard to is people that can't even handle doing a DP motion.
    In general, Shoryuken motions aren't that hard to get the hang of. They'll require more practice than a quarter circle, but less than a 360.

The combos that really require good execution are ones where you need to abuse the buffer to get enough charge for the special at the end. Like Chun-Li's cr.lp > st.mp > cr.mk > m.SBK combo and it's variations. You've got less than 3 frames for that one, and you need to start charging while your attacks are buffering to build up enough for the SBK. It's not quite a 1f link, but it's close.

It'll take a ton of practice to get it down consistently, and you need to be able to do it at the drop of a hat in a real match. It's your only reliable none-metered option for a knockdown combo too, so it's one you absolutely must learn if you hope to play Chun-Li. It's not just a handful of her combos either, you want to end every single one you can with an SBK if you confirm it, or a kikoken if not depending on range.

Guile, Necalli, Blanka, Urien, Balrog and M.Bison can all take advantage of the same mechanic too, though not all of their requirements are as strict timing wise as Chun-Li's is. It's not just limited to 3 characters, difficult combo's are spread across the entire cast.

Execution isn't the only variable that goes into being successful though. I've seen lots of Bronze players who can pull off optimal combos all day long, but they're still stuck in Bronze because they've got other gaping holes in their play. Usually like blocking ever. On the other hand, I've seen Ryu's who've gotten as far as gold by using just his Medium Kicks (All variations), Hadouken, Shoryuken, cr.HP and target combo because they've got better movement, stronger tactics and a well practiced game plan.

I will never disrespect SF's clout in the FGC or its pedigree, but for a casual player, it does have tough execution if you want to land BNBs. SFV is definitely easier than SF4, but it's still very similar.
    The important distinction to be made, I feel, is that a core player who's already invested into the franchise is going to be happy to sit in the training room and just drill out combos with their main until they've mastered them.

A casual player is likely to play a cross section of the cast and to move onto new characters if they get bored or have difficulty with one. Which is where points like this come in. For me, confirming a light hit into a special is routene. For someone who's new to a character being able to put in a new set of inputs fast enough is going to be a challenge by itself. Being able to learn for example, Cammy's Jab into Spiral Arrow combo is going to take a casual player a lot of time and effort. They can do the jab, they can do the Spiral Arrow, but doing them together takes practice. Perhaps more than they'd be willing to put in.

Don't be deluded into thinking that BNB combo's are just medium/heavy starters from a blocked DP - Light hit confirms to start your offence are just as important. Your Crush Counter Combos are important and need both strict timing and fast reaction times. Your V trigger combos are important, and so are your safe block string combos and so on. All of those fall under the umbrella of "BNB". They're the basic building blocks of your game plan.

Learning all of those and practicing them to the point you can perform them on demand is asking too much for those who might just want to log on after work and play a few rounds.

7+ Year Old Account

nightwolf sindel and spawn, neat!

oh man there is just so much to love about the MK11 Shang Tsung.

The fact he's based on Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in the MK movie is just the start. He's using the sega version of the MK character outfits and special moves when he transforms. Then theres frikkin Kintaro!
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2019-06-01 at 08:44 AM.