Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    That sort of depends on the situation. If the tech is smart enough to recognize that you're trying to join a raid, and your shard already has an opposing raid, then it would make sense for the friendly raid to come to you. Not because you decided to join, but because that's where the opposing raid was.
    You are making a solution based on one specific scenario. You cannot do that when you are looking at the general problem as a whole. If you scenario, other people would be transported to the other players. They then can have complaints about shards bouncing, which in general is a bad thing.

Do I have a solution? It would be a general solution. Let the user decided. Have virtual servers that shows the current balance of the PvP ratio and they can choose which one to join and be transport to those servers.

I'm not a fan of sharding at all. Or phasing, for that matter.

It's one of my main dislikes amongst other MMO's as well. It's frustrating, and a creates a huge break when it comes to immersion. Immersion being why I want to play a MMO in the first place - to escape reality and enter a strange unbelievable world, all the while unnoticeably slipping into a perfectly believable place, with rules that suddenly make sense.

I'd rather have lag. I think it's why I remember old WoW / EQ so fondly. Seeing hundreds of players around me is a memory that can't be unmade.

Sharding should be removed.. period

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post

You don't need to be a mathematician or a programmer to know that the more variables you add into an equation, the more complex the equation becomes.
    Bit that exactly what we're discussing here: Can the tech be smart enough to fairly manage different wpvp situations?

Right now things are not ideal. But if it can be improved enough, I think sharding could be good in the long run.

Regardless, simply throwing everything out without trying to make it better seems like a waste. It's not at the point of Azerite gear yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Bit that exactly what we're discussing here: Can the tech be smart enough to fairly manage different wpvp situations?

Right now things are not ideal. But if it can be improved enough, I think sharding could be good in the long run.

Regardless, simply throwing everything out without trying to make it better seems like a waste. It's not at the point of Azerite gear yet.
    The issue here isn't if it can or cannot do those calculations. It definitely can.

The real issue is how to do that without causing other problems, like the ones I mentioned earlier. A group gains or loses teammates, and it is moved into another shard that is more "balanced" to the group's size, perhaps even during the middle of a fight, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    The issue here isn't if it can or cannot do those calculations. It definitely can.

The real issue is how to do that without causing other problems, like the ones I mentioned earlier. A group gains or loses teammates, and it is moved into another shard that is more "balanced" to the group's size, perhaps even during the middle of a fight, for example.
    These are the types of challenges the design team needs to tackle, and exactly why threads discussing possible pros amd cons are important. Which leads back to one of my original points: Simply telling people to /bug and not play is a bad answer.

I know you didn't say that, but it's a common response to amy complaint or criticism of WoW.