Poll: Does a politics-based RPG interest you?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
    Getting my friends and family to play any kind of group board games lately has been difficult. No one wants to pay attention to learning something new. Over 10 years we've played maybe 5 games of Carcassonne.
    We play D&D on a fairly regular basis, but there just isn't much interest in the group (or people in the area) in a more cloak-and-dagger game. Most folks are just obnoxious murder hobos who get pissy when "kill it!" isn't the right answer.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Sounds about right. Not sure who we could get to DM though, I'm not really that experienced and I'm already eyeing a character concept, but I'm sure we could theoretically find someone.
    Well if we could find 2 more players, I could DM. I haven't DMed Eclipse Phase before, but I've done around 10 campaigns of DMing in Pathfinder and 5e.

I'd like it if a game like X4 included politics, that I could influence on a global scale or potentially lose too, due to bad maneuvering / bad argumentation.

Unfortunately it would probably be designed as make X choice with X argument to win game consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Well if we could find 2 more players, I could DM. I haven't DMed Eclipse Phase before, but I've done around 10 campaigns of DMing in Pathfinder and 5e.
    We could always try to run @Skroe and @Prabog through the basics if they have the time to do so. @Dr Braxton also might be interested since this seems right up his alley. Maybe @Yvaelle or @Theodarzna?

There already exist one...

Came out maybe 5 years ago. It's a very popular game.

Democracy 3

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I greatly enjoy tabletop rpgs, but if there's one thing this world needs right now, it's less politics.
    It wouldn't neccesarily be inserting modern politics into the game itself, but more or less exploring the politics of EP with a politically/ideologically diverse group of players.

10+ Year Old Account
    You’ve always had interesting ideas worth paying attention to @Techno-Druid. It be a Yes for me.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    We could always try to run @Skroe and @Prabog through the basics if they have the time to do so. @Dr Braxton also might be interested since this seems right up his alley. Maybe @Yvaelle or @Theodarzna?
    I've played D&D, but eh, I kinda don't like that much politics in my fantasy settings unless its like clashing noble houses and religious movements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I've played D&D, but eh, I kinda don't like that much politics in my fantasy settings unless its like clashing noble houses and religious movements.
    There's definitely a lot of political clashing and you also have the hypercorporations. In terms of religious movements, there are a few in EP:

The Fall sparked the birth of new beliefs, essentially embracing both transhumanity’s technological achievements as well as the devastating cataclysm of the Fall as evidence for the existence of a greater cosmic power.

Neo-Buddhism
    The only pre-Fall religious philosophy that enjoys a steady popularity. Neo-buddhists assert that transhumanist technologies are decreasing suffering and increasing happiness, and that they will also allow the continual progression of transhumanity’s understanding of the universe through successive lives.

Techno-Creationists
    Techno-Creationists believe that the destruction of Earth was a sign from God, showing transhumanity the error of its ways. They believe that through technological advancement and social engineering, transhumanity will achieve co-existence with its diverse self as well as with extra terrestrial intelligences, thereby finding new purpose and eventually, enlightenment. Attracted by the similarities to the Brahman of Hinduism, the highest cosmic spiritual being, Techno-Creationists enjoy a steady influx of converted Hindus.

Xenodeism
    Another new—though relatively minor—ideology that begins to show religious attributes. Xenodeists worship the Factors and Iktomi as emissaries or prophets of a great godlike race that laid the seeds of creation throughout the universe millions of years ago and therefore are the ultimate creators of transhumanity.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Braxton View Post
    You’ve always had interesting ideas worth paying attention to @Techno-Druid. It be a Yes for me.
    Great! I linked some PDFs a while back on species, morphs (basically the bodies—biological, biomechanical and entirely synthetic—that you can sleeve into), factions and locations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Politics and intrigue are always fun, and it would be interesting to do something outside a fantasy setting for once.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Suikoden on PSX was pretty political.

I feel like people who play it should really be able to understand the difference between roleplay and real life. I can just imagine a youtuber or streamer doing it, and roleplaying an evil character, perhaps advocating for genocide or some other shit like that, and the media will start reporting about how they are the next incarnation of hitler. But from a personal perspective, I think it would be fun to do with a couple of friends, and I think it could actually be a valuable experience to roleplay from a point of view that you in no way agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    We don't have to broadcast every thing we do on social media. I know, radical idea these days. . .
    Hence I said why it could be fun to do with friends in a closed setting. I got into board games mainly by watching streamers and youtube videos, and I was just imagining how fun it would be if they played a game like this, but then thought about how people would without a doubt misrepresent it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I feel like people who play it should really be able to understand the difference between roleplay and real life. I can just imagine a youtuber or streamer doing it, and roleplaying an evil character, perhaps advocating for genocide or some other shit like that, and the media will start reporting about how they are the next incarnation of hitler. But from a personal perspective, I think it would be fun to do with a couple of friends, and I think it could actually be a valuable experience to roleplay from a point of view that you in no way agree with.
    Yeah, that could be a problem, but I feel like this could be remedied to an extent with a good DM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn’t this what you want in principle:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_Online
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi