Laptop for casual WoW/HS

I'm not a laptop guy. I've never owned one as I always build my own PCs and keep them high end for many years to play all the games I want. I raid WoW on my PC, however, I want a laptop to play WoW casually when I'm not home. I'm very lost where to start and very much appreciate any help!

To convince my wife this is a "good" idea, I want to go as cheap as possible without hindering my entire purpose. I want to be able to do WQ, level, etc. To help with suggestions and I guess cooling purposes, I expect to to do this 1-2 hours at a time, but very unlikely for full binge sessions. I assume if it runs WoW it will run Hearthstone fine so that's just a side benefit.

Thanks again for any and all suggestions/help!

15+ Year Old Account
    What is your budget. I ask as with the tasks you want to do in wow and play HS you can use integrated graphics on a Ryzen laptop. Any Ryzen 5 2200U laptop range from $300 to $500 based on your needs, how much Ram, SSD or HDD so without a budget to go by its hard to recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    What is your budget. I ask as with the tasks you want to do in wow and play HS you can use integrated graphics on a Ryzen laptop. Any Ryzen 5 2200U laptop range from $300 to $500 based on your needs, how much Ram, SSD or HDD so without a budget to go by its hard to recommend.
    Sure! 300 to 500 is incredible. I didn't expect that to be an acceptable range, but I'd be willing to sit closer to 500 if it drastically helps.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Bump for any suggestions?

I would just search on amazon for a decent one. You can get a pretty good MSI laptop for around 600-700 with an older gtx 1050. That is plenty powerful enough to do everything you want to do without having to pay for a later generation GPU. This a pretty decent one. I'm sure you could look around and tweak one the way you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't care about resolution (of the game) or graphics. you can run wow on a toaster.

My roomie borrowed my old lappy with an integrated 520 Intel HD graphics and he was able to raid in a 25-man raid on 10-20 fps
    by setting the ingame resolution to 1024 x 768 and graphics setting to 2.

This was back in Uldir. And before Multi-core optimization.

this should easily do the job.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-i5575-A2...gateway&sr=8-8
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2019-04-11 at 09:31 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dottdog View Post
    Sure! 300 to 500 is incredible. I didn't expect that to be an acceptable range, but I'd be willing to sit closer to 500 if it drastically helps.

Bump for any suggestions?
    I dont usually make suggestions on Laptops and the like as its all preference. That being said i bought one for traveling that I use when in a hotel.

This is mine, I have had no issues, however I did do a fresh windows 10 install to get rid of all the bloatware.

it plays wow on preset 5 and starcraft2 on medium settings with no issues.

I've been thinking the same, but I'm waiting for the new Ryzen 3000 series laptops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    I've been thinking the same, but I'm waiting for the new Ryzen 3000 series laptops.
    You're gonna be waiting a while. Laptop CPUs usually take 2-3 months after the desktop version launch.

Or, if you're Intel 9000 series, 6+ months

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoMilos View Post
    New predator
    Way out of budget for what he'd want

Either wait for Ryzen 3000 or go with Intel. WoW doesn't care about cores, only IPC. Avoid integrated video like the plague. A 1060gtx would be good, but a 1050ti should be your minimum. $600-700 on sale should be your target. A lot of people seem to think WoW will run well on anything, but it won't. When you're out questing, maybe. But a raid? Get a CPU with the highest IPC possible, or expect a dozen frames per second.

Personally I wouldn't want to spend more than 700 or so on a travel gaming laptop. I would however want it to at least play most games at a decent enough frame rate.