7+ Year Old Account

How is this for the present and future?

My aging system is as follows

4790k (not oc yet)
    8gb ddr3 Kingston ram
    1060 6gb

At the moment I am gaming on a 60hz screen and don't have much trouble staying around 60 fps in any game I play. However in the coming months I would really like to upgrade to a 144hz 1080p screen and 1070 (maybe ti) if my system can still squeeze itself for a couple more years and hit 144 fps or as close as possible over 100. If not it's going to be a whole new system upgrade. CPU, mobo, ram and possibly PSU.

I don't have the money to do both upgrades at once. I'm more learning towards the system upgrade than monitor and gpu but I have never played on anything higher than 60hz really want to see how nice it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    For higher frequencies you might need to upgrade your CPU as well.

You could go 1440p and wait for a 2060, that would take stress off your CPU. You're probably not going to find a1070 or a 1070ti for a decent price anymore, better to wait for a few months

7+ Year Old Account
    Well I was also thinking of ignoring the video card upgrade. With a 2600 ryzen and 1060 could I comfortably be at or near 144 fps at 1080p? Especially considering g sync on the monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Well I was also thinking of ignoring the video card upgrade. With a 2600 ryzen and 1060 could I comfortably be at or near 144 fps at 1080p? Especially considering g sync on the monitor.
    If you're willing to drop to low/med settings you could probably get to 100-ish in AAA titles. If you're more into casual games, or esport titles, you could probably get 144+

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If you're willing to drop to low/med settings you could probably get to 100-ish in AAA titles. If you're more into casual games, or esport titles, you could probably get 144+
    Fair enough, but my main concern is if the 4790k CPU becomes a bottleneck now and later considering I'm going to upgrade to 144hz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Fair enough, but my main concern is if the 4790k CPU becomes a bottleneck now and later considering I'm going to upgrade to 144hz.
    It shouldn't. It's still a fairly competent CPU.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It shouldn't. It's still a fairly competent CPU.
    Awesome. If that is the case then I'll chuck a water cooler in there and see how far I can oc.