Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Rather, the court summons in your case was in an envelope that screamed "this is junk mail, trash it". The court summons would have had "You're a winner" in bright stickers on the envelope. The Email looked like any other phishing email I have ever got. It had a link going to a domain that was neither MMO-Champion, nor Fandom. It told me to click the link, or risk losing access to my account. By all means, it is not unfair to assume that it was either destroyed by a spam filter in an email inbox or manually deleted unread for many users of this site.
    If you want to stay with the court summons analogy, you could as well claim that just like a court summons, the e-mail was signed to be from Curse via it being signed with their certificate the same way a court summons would have a seal of some kind. Any spam filter or person that ignores that isn't doing a great job. It is visible in GMail and hopefully in other popular mail clients and is probably something the regular joe should learn to look at to distinguish important e-mails from spam.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoc63f095c738 View Post
    Do i need to do something? I've been away on travels for 4 weeks and just got back and saw the email. Also noticed my username is fucked up.
    Wait until they make it possible to recover your account.
    Last edited by Marlamin; 2019-01-12 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    all personal data was removed because you didn't agree with the transfer, including your username, email, signature, personal info.
    wait the tranfer already happened? i didn't agree anything and i'm still here

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    wait the tranfer already happened? i didn't agree anything and i'm still here
    If you are in the EU and are still here you probably consented and forgot (clicking away the consent pop-up by agreeing or something), if you still want your account removed, just click the Contact Us button on the top right and ask.

If you are outside of the EU, there's no such laws in other regions (yet) that require companies to do this kind of thing. You might still be able to ask for your account to be removed, but I'm not sure they're legally required to do so.

It’s broken!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoc2bb030b3a5 View Post
    Yeah what gives? The email sent to me (multiple times to which i declined consent every time) didn't explain why or what the deal was and why should i care? Am i going to lose my account? Why???
    I can guarantee to you 100% that it DID explain everything, you just didn't read it, because I did and I knew what was happening...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Rather, the court summons in your case was in an envelope that screamed "this is junk mail, trash it". The court summons would have had "You're a winner" in bright stickers on the envelope. The Email looked like any other phishing email I have ever got. It had a link going to a domain that was neither MMO-Champion, nor Fandom. It told me to click the link, or risk losing access to my account. By all means, it is not unfair to assume that it was either destroyed by a spam filter in an email inbox or manually deleted unread for many users of this site.

The link in the email went to "curseinc.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u={UUID}"

If you got an email telling you to click a button and go to amazon.us13.list-manage.com and log into your Amazon account to make sure it didn't get closed, would you do it? I know I wouldn't. So why would I do so for anything else?

I would not have seen the pop-up due to security measures I take with my browser to minimize the risk of infection through malicious actors injecting self-executing code into javascript pop-ups and advertisements. I get many Emails saying "click on this link unless you want your account with {service name here} to be cancelled" every day, and they are ALL considered spam. Until I saw a thread on MMO-Champion which confirmed that the email was real and I should be seeing a pop-up I assumed it was a phishing attempt.
    The analogy wasn't supposed to highlight whether the message was clearly seen; after all it is an analogy for the spam folder or adblocker which hides first with zero indication of it's content to the user unless they intentionally go looking for it.

The point is that the argument that "I didn't see it" used when it wasn't seen because it was arbitrarily tossed out without looking at it whilst being factually correct is not an acceptable excuse.

With regards to the email specifically you speak from a stand point of having seen it and being cautious regarding it whereas the poster I was discussing this with, and other posters I refer to, are those who didn't even see it to begin with. You raise valid points but not in response to the point we were discussing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoc11767104c3 View Post
    look at the other thread and view the multiple reasons there, listed by all the ppl that have problems.

wether ppl trust emails from an unknown subtile email adress, or moved to spam or was on an old mail account, etc.

mmoc ppl argumented that there was a banner too on top of the site, .... that nearly no one saw, bc most of us use a adblocker, since mmoc regulalry is hurted by dns attacks that forwards you to extrenal ad sites, which is extremely annoying.

tldr: all ppl with adblockers and a useful security mind when it comes down to phishing are fucked up now. no, boy, it was not executed as best as possible.

a small advice here for future and stupid ppl: when i drastically change something on my platform, i would use THIS platform as email sender and content to inform ppl, so ppl trust that, instead some nobodyknows fandom shit they confuse with spam or phishing...
    All I see there are excuses for being an irresponsible person. If this was something important I would love to see you try to justify that stuff.

I also have an ad block, the email was not from an "unknown" address it was from a curse address which is normal coming from mmo-champion, and checking the spam folder is something everyone should do. Literally no spam filter is perfect and non-spam emails get in there.

I'd still like to know who or what fandom is???

it's quite litterally MMO-C holding your username hostage if you refuse to let fandom sell your personnal data

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocd3a4bd50bb View Post
    it's quite litterally MMO-C holding your username hostage if you refuse to let fandom sell your personnal data
    Well, no. That's a ludicrous assertion.

What actually happened is that MMO-C was going under new ownership. Your data either needed to be their data, or deleted, before the changeover. You were given multiple opportunities to "opt in" to the data transfer, but MMO-C defaulted to assuming you didn't want your private information handed over.

You're complaining because MMO-C's staff protected your personal information. That is your entire complaint. Would you have preferred they just handed it all to Fandom without asking you? Because that's the only real alternative.

Also, this only hit EU citizens (IIRC). I didn't get any e-mails or any pop-ups, as a Canadian, because transferring my data to Fandom doesn't trigger any Canadian laws in the first place. I knew it was happening, and would've consented regardless (made sure I checked my spam filters just in case), but they didn't ask, because they had no legal obligation to do so, here.

This was MMO-C constantly asking if they could give your info (including username) to Fandom, and you either refusing to answer or insisting "no", so they didn't. Nobody's holding that username for "ransom". That's insane.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-01-12 at 09:19 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Also, this only hit EU citizens (IIRC). I didn't get any e-mails or any pop-ups, as a Canadian, because transferring my data to Fandom doesn't trigger any Canadian laws in the first place.
    I'm kind of curious how do they define who is an EU citizen and who isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I'm kind of curious how do they define who is an EU citizen and who isn't.
    IP addresses, almost certainly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    Here is who they say they are. Take it for what it's worth.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    IP addresses, almost certainly.
    But that's the thing... which IP address? The one used to create the account? Can they still track where it came from after all these years? Or the IP address used to access the account the last time? What about people who access the account from different parts of the world?

*showermmocaccountthoughts*
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    the email was not from an "unknown" address it was from a curse address which is normal coming from mmo-champion
    I get loads of emails from "known" places like Paypal and Apple and so on too. I guess I'm irresponsible for not getting fished by those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocfaf2869885 View Post
    I get loads of emails from "known" places like Paypal and Apple and so on too. I guess I'm irresponsible for not getting fished by those.
    You do understand that you FAILED to identify the email as valid and are trying to brag about your amazing ability to identify fishing emails? lol man just lol

I imagine if it had explained that "You will lose your account and/or have the name forcibly changed to something horribly generic if you don't accept our terms" might have helped. Fortunately I accepted it, though I don't recall doing so.

Deleted
    Is it rude to ask who or what they are selling the information to?

Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    Just ask on the boards and plenty of people will be happy to tell you... they have a terrible reputation that is well-earned. That they've taken over MMO-champion is incredibly disturbing, but in the end, if they extend too far, people will quit and move on. It happened before, it will happen again. That said, seeing a website like MMO-champion become abandoned en masse would be a lot more earth-shaking than creating a new WoW wiki.

Maybe Fandom has learned their lesson regarding that, but most likely, they'll just try the same tactics again. Make empty, false promises that they won't change things too heavily, and then start putting in so many adds that the website breaks, and keep pushing content like this until people get fed up and leave, killing the website in question. There are alternatives to MMO-champion, though I'm very comfortable and happy with this website's forum community (we're like a big, deranged family at this point ) and I'd much prefer not needing to do so.

This would be otherwise offtopic to this thread, but the fact that they are willing to push changes like this for not accepting terms is... well, disturbing. I'm surprised they are playing their hand in such a dramatic way so early. It does not bode well for the future.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to add that I would like to see where we can view the terms of this agreement, as well.

I must have missed it and I'd like to go over it. I recall Oath taking over Yahoo and making dramatic terms... ones that for the first time ever I decided to not accept and ended up deleting all of my thousands of emails. Unlike Yahoo, though, my personal information is at far less risk on this website than there, but I still want to know the details here. I may have taken it too lightly...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this only hit EU citizens (IIRC). I didn't get any e-mails or any pop-ups, as a Canadian, because transferring my data to Fandom doesn't trigger any Canadian laws in the first place. I knew it was happening, and would've consented regardless (made sure I checked my spam filters just in case), but they didn't ask, because they had no legal obligation to do so, here.
    I'm not Canadian; I don't recall seeing this particular pop-up, either (I live in USA). Maybe it did, maybe it did not... but I don't recall it. And I usually pay attention to these sorts of things. Either way, this would explain why I don't recall seeing it, perhaps.

This was MMO-C constantly asking if they could give your info (including username) to Fandom, and you either refusing to answer or insisting "no", so they didn't. Nobody's holding that username for "ransom". That's insane.
    While this is certainly true, it doesn't make the change any less dramatic. They should have made it clear what was going to happen if they did not; i.e., their account was effectively going to be deleted. I doubt anyone expected this. I highly doubt even 1% of the community has any 'personal information' in their username, so changing that much at the very least could have largely been avoided.

I believe it hit everyone, but I could be wrong. I got the pop-ups on my end, but never got an email. I accepted it and was fine. I am on the east coast of US. It did not appear on my ad-blocked browser, but when I used incognito mode it appeared.

EDIT: It could have been a cookie popup now that I think about it. /shrug. It really isn't a big deal as far as I'm concerned. People are making mountains out of molehills from this.