Page 1 of 2
LastLast

UK: Scrap prison sentences of less than six months

Jail sentences of six months or less should be scrapped, according to the prisons minister.

Rory Stewart has said the move would ease pressure on prisons and be better for offenders.

In comments reported by The Daily Telegraph, he said that "very short" jail terms were "long enough to damage you and not long enough to heal you".

He added: "You bring somebody in for three or four weeks, they lose their house, their job, their family, their reputation.

https://news.sky.com/story/minister-...onths-11605258

There is a line that Judges cross when they sentence someone to prison for six months. Was the crime severe enough? If the crime was severe, then jail, if not, probation.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Harmless crimes, sure... violent ones, such as by delinquents, need to be harsher. Too often minor white collar crimes get punished harshly where as violent delinquents, as in teens, get a slap on the wrist... especially if they are of a certain "under-privileged" background.

Crimes of people that have accumulated 50+ convictions running around? Beyond a joke...
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-01-12 at 03:29 PM.

Sure, you could release thieves and others who broke minor laws, but if they somehow break a law again within 5 years, they should be sentenced to ten years of prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaorc View Post
    Sure, you could release thieves and others who broke minor laws, but if they somehow break a law again within 5 years, they should be sentenced to ten years of prison.
    The USA has laws like that. To say they are dumb is an understatement.

So no, go post stupid shit somewhere else please.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    The USA has laws like that. To say they are dumb is an understatement.

So no, go post stupid shit somewhere else please.
    Five-star argument right there.

Five-star argument right there.
    My bad, I didn't expect to have to explain the bleeding obvious to you.

Are you one of those people who claims grass is blue and then claims victory when the other person doesn't prove it isnt?

10+ Year Old Account
    The alternative to prison is community service and that unfortunately has no sense of punishment, all they do is put the vest on and slack for few hours. So, unless they come up with good alternative, prison is the only way to deal with scum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    My bad, I didn't expect to have to explain the bleeding obvious to you.

Are you one of those people who claims grass is blue and then claims victory when the other person doesn't prove it isnt?
    I guess ill make it more humane: Those who are sentenced to prison should have a chance to be released, but they have to write their signature that they wont break a law that results in prison once again within a time period, or they will be punished again for the maximum duration.

USA just proves that criminals never changes, despite being at risk of being sentenced to life, criminal people keep breaking the law over and over again.

Sweden usually have criminals getting released much earlier, and its not really that rare to see criminals under the age of 30 with a list of laws being broken being longer than the essays i wrote for my school.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Makes sense, if there’s no rehabilitation benefits to it.

- - - Updated - - -

That wouldn’t benefit any one it would just turn minor offenders into more of a problem after spending years and years in jail and coming out with nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess ill make it more humane: Those who are sentenced to prison should have a chance to be released, but they have to write their signature that they wont break a law that results in prison once again within a time period, or they will be punished again for the maximum duration.

USA just proves that criminals never changes, despite being at risk of being sentenced to life, criminal people keep breaking the law over and over again.

Sweden usually have criminals getting released much earlier, and its not really that rare to see criminals under the age of 30 with a list of laws being broken being longer than the essays i wrote for my school.
    This is a joke right? The us isn’t a standard for prisons as it’s not and never has been about rehabilitation it might as well be a 3rd world country in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Harmless crimes, sure... violent ones, such as by delinquents, need to be harsher. Too often minor white collar crimes get punished harshly where as violent delinquents, as in teens, get a slap on the wrist... especially if they are of a certain "under-privileged" background.

Crimes of people that have accumulated 50+ convictions running around? Beyond a joke...
    You have literally just described the perfect inverse of the American justice system. What's it like living wherever you live?

Quote Originally Posted by zebreck View Post
    You have literally just described the perfect inverse of the American justice system. What's it like living wherever you live?
    Ireland. Justice system here is a bloody joke. Murder someone? 4 years, less on good behaviour...

UK already has something like that, but like...functional. Suspended sentences exist.

No idea about the justice system in UK, but here in Germany the overwhelming majority of prison sentences with one year or less are for probation or house arrest.
    There are practically only youth sentences with such short times (in specialized prisons) and people who failed their probation.

Around 30,000 offenders a year including some burglars and most shoplifters could be spared jail under the proposals.
    That's preposterous, burglars should be given extremely harsh sentences, not spared jail time. The UK really can't seem to make a single sensible decision as of late.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zebreck View Post
    Similar in Finland as well. Rape or kill someone and you get a slap on your wrist. Commit a fraud or some other crime involving money - sit in prison for 10+ years and be in debt for the rest of your life.

It's a god damn joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Ireland. Justice system here is a bloody joke. Murder someone? 4 years, less on good behaviour...
    WTF? xD Here you can receive death penalty for murder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Similar in Finland as well. Rape or kill someone and you get a slap on your wrist. Commit a fraud or some other crime involving money - sit in prison for 10+ years and be in debt for the rest of your life.

It's a god damn joke.
    You should have possibility for death penalty for murder.

Don't people get longer sentances for repeat crimes?
    RETH

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Don't people get longer sentances for repeat crimes?
    Here you can actually get repeat discounts.

True story.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    WTF? xD Here you can receive death penalty for murder.
    European justice systems in general are a joke. Rapists generally get free passes even when found guilty or they serve tiny sentences. Murders on the same end, a few years tops.
    Brevik gets to live in almost luxury conditions for doing what he did....

Great first step to scrapping prisons.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.