View Poll Results: How often do you try new foods, or experiment?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never (Meat and Potatoes)

5 8.77%
  • Not all the time but Often.

11 19.30%
  • Once in a while.

21 36.84%
  • I always try for something new.

20 35.09%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by brianflowler View Post
    I want to try dishes of Korean cuisine, but I'm a little afraid of street food unsanitary Share your experience if you tried Korean cuisine, please.
    Well, street food is generally safe in Korea, I'm guessing. Here's a hint when dealing with street food in any country--go to where the lines are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Hehe
    Take a relatively healthy chicken, mix it with cheese, fry it in oil and then dip it in mayo.
    Meanwhile people are posting threads "why is America fat"
    Yeah lifestyle is just as impactful as what we eat. Americans tend to be more sedentary. We eat shit food like fast food because we work too much and don't have time to cook our own food for dinner. We eat processed crap because it's readily available. I love California and all, but I do love the European approach to food and work-life balance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    On-topic I actually tried authentic Russian food the other say and have to say it was pretty good. Pelmeni(sp?) was delicious. The Kotlety was very similar to Arab Kofta which i am used too.
    *puts on nerd glasses* Kofta is very widespread throughout the world. A lot of countries have something very similar and is called something similar as well. Though "kofta" is an Arabic word, its origin is Persian. Probably initially "created" by Persians and then spread by Arab traders.
    Last edited by Dwarfhamster; 2019-01-15 at 01:09 AM.

Warchief
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Being American, I don't have much advice for trying new British/German cuisine. At the moment I'm really interested in trying haggish or black pudding tho

I still have tons of foods I want to try and recently I made Tikka masala It was good! I'd love to eat it at a professional level though
    As someone who's eaten several haggis-es(haggi? haggusususes? fuck it I tried.) The hardest part is actually the texture for me. also if you eat bad haggis you'll feel like you're dying for a day or three. but truly good haggis is one of the best things I've ever eaten.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Nah, he's not entirely wrong. One of the major factors in the difference between medieval and modern European cuisine was a shift away from the heavy use of spices after they become more widely available during the Renaissance - thus European 'haute cuisine' and Western food by extension tends to be much more lightly seasoned than equivalents you'd find in places like India or China.

As for what internationally is perceived as "American" cuisine, this is a function of the US having a very high population of northern European immigrants and, as is well known, the further north in Europe you go the progressively more awful the food gets. There are regional cuisines that don't fit this mold, however - Southern cuisine tends to be much more flavorful.

Go figure, we invaded the world for spices and hardly ever use them. Lol.
    Spice was at first used to cover the actual taste of meat. Since food conservation was difficult at that time, we needed to cover up the stench and bad taste of cured or even rotten meat. Since we now have refrigerators, we can at last savour the actual taste of the food we eat without burning our tongues with a mountain of spices and salt.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

A burrito at Qdoba's is about as adventurous as I get.

Thanks for the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Love food work with food and travel from time to time, always love to try new things and not afraid to test new stuff. So yeah a shit ton of different food.
    I wonder what kind of food did you like most?

I really wanna try Korean BBQ. Have heard so much good about it, but there's nowhere to get it where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    That's a good thing. Overspiced food is fucking heresy.

Spice is supposed to give a slight flavour, not completely overpower the actual taste of the food you are eating.
    this, as a cook you use as you need.
    the more you need, the more you bury the flavor of the food itself instead leading to it tasting like a cheap mix consisting of powdered garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I really wanna try Korean BBQ. Have heard so much good about it, but there's nowhere to get it where I live.
    Ugh Korean BBQ--one of the most heavenly things in the world to put in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    I have a friend that occasionally makes too much food and gives me extra. That happened today with some mansaf:

Pretty damn tasty with some ghost pepper sauce (I always carry this, jalapeno mustard, and some sriracha in my bag) and pita bread!

Since you brought up hotdogs/sausages, I'm very fond of Koegels viennas for my chili dogs! I even went on two tours there back in 1993 and 1998 for fun!
    Holy fucking crap that looks amazing. Doesn't help that I'm hungry at the moment.

On Topic - If you're American and coming to the UK, I'd definitely suggest trying some of our fish and chips - it's not French fine dining levels of a delicacy, but I think we do it differently/better to a lot of the world. The UK doesn't really have it's 'own' cuisine (apart from various claims that chicken Tikka Masala is our national dish).

In terms of German food, anything i've ever eaten in a beer hall has been incredible, but particularly pork knuckle served with sauerkraut and potato salad.

I've been lucky to travel a lot for work in the last year or so, some highlights for me have been:

BBQ restaurants in the US, particularly 'Hill Country BBQ in NYC', although I know that people from the south will say that liking NYC BBQ is sacrilege

Tacos Al Pastor in Mexico - local specialty, they are dirt cheap and really really tasty.

Bhut Jolokia chicken in India - I managed to eat 2 bites because it blew my face off (I'm not *bad* at spice but this was nuclear). The rest of the food I ate there was fantastic too. As someone who really likes meat, I think the way the indians cook is the only place in the world where I think being a vegetarian would be remotely palatable.
    Last edited by Loosecannon; 2019-01-15 at 06:04 PM.

My current diet is rather boring, fast food, some home cooking, microwave meals and the occasional ribeye steak. Given the chance though, I would like to sample cuisine from all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    If you ever get the chance, go have it at a Korean steakhouse with the grill in the center of each table, so you can cook it to your desired level. You won't regret it.
    #Beto2020 #LegalizeCannabis #CannabisForVets
    Two cannabis bills are currently filed in congress for the current legislative session, each numbered H.R.420 and S.420!

Quote Originally Posted by brianflowler View Post
    Thanks for the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what kind of food did you like most?
    Im a sucker foor indian and asian food. Though gotta admit i tried indian food in spain but felt like the real deal, indian people serving and making the food and the whole table was full of different food, loved it and i have no plans on visit india anytime soon so that will have to do.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-01-16 at 01:18 PM.

I've heard really good things about falafel.

And shwarma.

Not sold around my parts, unfortunately.