Page 1 of 2
LastLast

We need a true successor to Mass Effect 1!

Andromeda is not nearly as bad as something like Ride to Hell Retribution. Check out Angry Joe's review of it! It is hilarious!

Back on topic the original Mass Effect introduced us to a galaxy with multiple alien races with each having their own unique history and geopolitical situation as well as two ancient races, the Protheans and the Reapers. Compare that to Andromeda where we only get two alien races including an ancient race that disappeared and some death robots. Mass Effect Andromeda also lacks memorable moral choices and has only one ending compared to the multiple endings of the first Mass Effect. I fondly remembered the moral choices in the first Mass Effect while I find the moral choices of Andromeda forgettable. Also in ME1 at least two party members can die based on your decisions. With Andromeda they played it safe.

The Nexus also lacks the beautiful music of the Citadel.

I thought all of the crew except Liam and Peebee were okay. I would prefer mature scientists and security officers instead of naive college students.

I want a true successor to Mass Effect 1. Who here agrees?

Why did they play it safe? Was it the backlash to ME3's ending?
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2019-01-13 at 04:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 and 3 were true successors to 1. Are you just suggesting a new successor to the entire franchise?

To be honest, after saving the galaxy from the Reapers (or, destroying it), there isn't much more you can do in the storyline after. Anything else will probably be something set before or during the events of the original series.

Aren't Bioware claiming Anthem is the spiritual successor?

7+ Year Old Account
    2 and 3 were better then 1.

IMO it went ME 2 > ME 1 > ME 3. 2 was already far better than 1. 3 was a step down, but still enjoyable. Andromeda, meh.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    2 and 3 were true successors to 1. Are you just suggesting a new successor to the entire franchise?

To be honest, after saving the galaxy from the Reapers (or, destroying it), there isn't much more you can do in the storyline after. Anything else will probably be something set before or during the events of the original series.
    Andromeda was a good attempt in terms of the direction but overall I felt like it just lacked.

You really can't have a ME 4, that would be like having a 4th lord of the rings book/movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    I sure hope not. Mass Effect had scores of cool aliens to meet, fight, and recruit. It was a good space opera. Anthem is humans in mech suits blowing up everything. It looks like sci-fi Monster Hunter.

Mass effect 1 was western babby's first dating sim wrapped around an atrocious shooter riding ideas from a dozen sci-fi novels from the 70's zoomers who want us all to know about their garus or tali erotic fiction never heard of. There is no more over rated game in its console generation. There is nothing it does its own sequels don't do better.

god, you are obsessed.

1. andromeda was supposed to be a first in a trilogy. they have found out with ME3 especially just how messed up it is to try to write a game where so many of your critical follower characters can die, it creates a situation where if you don't make them important to the rest of the story - fans are upset, but if you do make them important to the story, how in a heck do you adjust the story to their absence? in ME3 we basically got place holder characters and it didn't work well at all.

2. important characters in Andromeda can and do die due to your decisions. they just happen to be characters that are not your followers. this is bioware trying to learn from all the issues they had with ME3 and planning long term.

ME1 is my fave game of the trilogy. and even then, in ME 2, thanks to those deaths, we had storytelling issues. 2 very different characters merge into a singular character that acts like neither of them, I mean we have Kaidan using only his weapons, despite being a VERY powerful biotic, becasue they only had enough budget to do one cutscene, and they made it for Ashley, and then inserted Kaidan into it. they both behave not only out of character for their starting point in ME1, but even more so for their end point in ME1.. you know where through conversations with them, you could actualy influence their outlook and responses. Garrus, whom you could skip recruiting all together, still acts like your best friend in ME2, because there is only so much they can adjust there. Wreave on Tuchanka is even worse as a substitute for Wrex, and doesn't make much sense. they did add some pretty interesting story differences into ME2 based on whether you have Wrex or Wreave in your game, but in ME2, its... not that great. and all that happened becasue they did not plan ahead the trilogy, but rather created a stand alone game that became so popular, it got sequels. and it was a mess to write

so yeah, they kept specific characters alive, becasue they were planning ahead. for once. and the sad irony is.. in the game where they actualy planned ahead? they don't even get to finish it.

There was actually this whole "dark matter" plotline that was barely touched on during ME 2 that would have been the logical next step, but they kinda just shoved it under a rug as of ME 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Meh. I didn't like ME1, I had to force myself through it when playing the trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 was better in every single way and it didn't have that fucking Mako thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we need an true successor to original trilogy.

I replaying now ME3 with mods, it is hell a fun but... Mostly game still remain same... Yeah there is mods like adds Dragoons to N7 missions associated with Cerberus, or making new quests like Expanded Galaxy Mod.

But still these mods could be actually as original content to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Meh. I didn't like ME1, I had to force myself through it when playing the trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 was better in every single way and it didn't have that fucking Mako thing.
    I agree. Although for me it has as lot to do with the cluckyness of the controls and skills compared to 2 and 3 that made it butter smooth. Stoy wise its great in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather developers try out new ideas instead of rehashing what's been done in the past, stop with the reboots, the remakes, and actually be creative.
    Blizzard's cutting corners again? Yare Yare Daze...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    I can't recall ever hearing that... They said it will be their next "Mass Effect like IP" which just means, likely, it will be a large science fiction "universe" with many games set in it.

@ the OP: The Bioware that made ME1 doesn't exist anymore, stop fanboying all over them, they don't deserve it, and they will never make games like the old team did, because they are entirely different people with a different agenda... And the company they are beholden to (Electronic Arts) has gotten significantly worse since then, which has degraded their products even further.

They only thing we truly need on any topic concerning EA is for everyone to stop buying EA games and let the company die in a fire, the gaming industry would be better for it.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2019-01-14 at 06:53 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

frostbite sucks for rpgs

10+ Year Old Account
    We need a Mass Effect 4, where Shepherd tries to bone everything that moves.

10+ Year Old Account
    i loved the mako in mass effect 1 wish they would have bought it back in mass effect 2 & 3.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Hm ? There is so much that could happen after that. It doesn't even have to be the next alien menace to the galaxy, even among the MW races so much stuff could happen.
    How will the Krogan act after the genophage has ended? What will the Rachni do? Will the council still hold after decades/centuries? How will the humans be treated as newcomers in an already colonized galaxy? Is there enough space for all?

Then there are also countless old civilisations burried in the milky way, civilisations that the reapers destroyed in earlier cycles. What secrets did they have? Did really all of them die off or did one manage to flee or hide itself sucessfully from the reapers and is now super advanced but also super paranoid of all alien races?

There is so much stuff that they could have done, they just had to man up and declare a canon ending. Instead they came up with this andromeda nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Hm ? There is so much that could happen after that. It doesn't even have to be the next alien menace to the galaxy, even among the MW races so much stuff could happen.
    How will the Krogan act after the genophage has ended? What will the Rachni do? Will the council still hold after decades/centuries? How will the humans be treated as newcomers in an already colonized galaxy? Is there enough space for all?

Then there are also countless old civilisations burried in the milky way, civilisations that the reapers destroyed in earlier cycles. What secrets did they have? Did really all of them die off or did one manage to flee or hide itself sucessfully from the reapers and is now super advanced but also super paranoid of all alien races?

There is so much stuff that they could have done, they just had to man up and declare a canon ending. Instead they came up with this andromeda nonsense.
    and how could they do that when destroying the relays meant that they pretty much killed most of the population in the galaxy.
    the council is dead.
    the citadel is for all intensive purposes purged.
    the other races are all trapped in the solar system fighting to the death for resources.
    this is true in all three endings.
    in a galaxy with no way to fast travel around anymore btw.
    there is a reason they came up with it it's because they wrote themselves into a corner they couldn't get out of.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.