Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Cool Random Thought - Can we Expect Playable Faction rework?

two faction seems to be outdated. but there doesnot seem to be anything that can change that (adding third faction, or splitting existing faction into two more seems too hard for MMO gameplay)

what if choices, that we are making, will make us choose between two brand new Playable faction?

imagine, that while questing we will have to choose between them. let's say, arm of the light and Forces of Old Gods
    what if all of our characters will make decisions and we will play next expansion(s) as members of new factions, where both current faction playerbases will be split between these new ones (something similar to Pandaren player choice to go from neutral To A or H)
    these new factions might wok similar to Order Halls. but instead of 12 Orders, there will be 2.
    and most important - both Horde and Ally players will be interact with each other

some Orcs choose to worship Light, other Kaldorei choose joining Old Gods forces

would you like something like that?
    technically it can give "end" to existing factions
    and also make all players able to play together. and it will give more opportunities for storytelling

If they go with light vs void, probably it's gonna be similar to the system of Shattran city with Aldors and Scryers but with the flavor of playing with people of any race in pve content and new bgs and arenas to "impress the gods for their favor"

This totally could happen to break the formula but that expansion probably won't happen for a long while, we are still 2 or 3 before the void lords and who knows what else are in the others planes

The Light vs Dark thing is cool idea but I dont see the Horde / Alliance system ever changing. Maybe when WoW is on its last legs they'll allow both factions to group together. Otherwise, nah. I don't think so.

And if there was ever a faction merge I'd peace out forever.

Your idea is flawed, and here's why.

I am a Void Elf main. The Light would never accept my character for obvious reasons. The Old Gods would never accept my character because the entire gimmick of the Void Elves is that they are the only mortals to have successfully defied the shadows' whispers. So to fall to the temptation of the Old Gods and join their forces would pretty much demolish the entire fantasy of the race. So which choice would I have?
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2019-01-14 at 06:13 AM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Blizzard can hardly handle two factions for their own story. We would likeley merge factions before we splinter them even further.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleria Windrunner View Post

I am a Void Elf main. The Light would never accept my character for obvious reasons. The Old Gods would never accept my character because the entire gimmick of the Vodi Elves is that they are the only mortals to have successfully defied the shadows' whispers. So to fall to the temptation of the Old Gods and join their forces would pretty much demolish the entire fantasy of the race. So which choice would I have?
    Saint Anduin welcomes everybody. Run towards the Light, my son.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's quite possible. Given the fact that alliance/horde imbalance makes it hard for players to play alliance, so even more players would switch faction just for gameplay reasons, Blizzard will do something about it and allowing everyone to play together is a pretty logical move when plot will allow it (end of war, truce pact, etc). They applied a similar solution with cross-server, so cross-faction will not be unexpected move. And after that it'll be possible to further develop the story with more interesting factions and races.

A merge is more likely... or something like a permanent peace lifting guilds and raids above the faction so players can play together faction independently.
    Horde and Alliance will probably never go... its part of the Warcraft DNA... but... it gets really old

I am a Void Elf main. The Light would never accept my character for obvious reasons. The Old Gods would never accept my character because the entire gimmick of the Void Elves is that they are the only mortals to have successfully defied the shadows' whispers. So to fall to the temptation of the Old Gods and join their forces would pretty much demolish the entire fantasy of the race. So which choice would I have?
    while I agree with you, there might be some other explanations too.
    even Forsaken Priests (part of them) manage to have Holy Light based powers lorewise. Holy light is vs Undeath. but their faith is so strong,t hat they manage wield it, despite that it burns them and is painful, they still can heal themselves and others

also, Forsaken priests are exclusively Shadow Priests lorewise. Cult of Forgotten Shadows was created/rebuilt because they no longer could use Light without consequences. meanwhile ingame we still have Forsaken Holy Priests.
    Tauren Pallys and Priests lorewise are both same class. Sunwalkers which is Sun druid (druids of Tauren and NE are "moon druids" and use moon based powers), they use Sun power instead of Moon but for gameplay they are considered to be Paladins and Priests.
    NE Priests are arcane based Elune worshipers, but for gameplay they are used similar as all other races, aka as Holy or Shadow Priests
    and list goes on and on and on (Gnome priests are more like Field medics who use Holy light like mages use arcane/frost/fire schools, not like Spiritual believers, Blood elves are some sort of Holy powered plate-geared mages. even Rexxar the Beastmaster, Vareesa the Ranger, Sylvanas the Dark Ranger, all are counted as Hunter class)

so to go back to topic, as far as Anduin welcomes both Lightforged Draenei and Void elves in Alliance (and these two forces are probably most distinct of all races ideologicaly), they still manage to be in same team. even your Void Elves can be Holy light spec.
    we can assume that Rendorei who go for Old God forces, have ideology, that Light is short-sighted and Old Gods have better ideas how world should be
    and Rendorei who go for Army of the light, decide that Old GOds are too dangeriOUS FORCE
    while Old Gods think that Undeath is enemy of all, they have Forsaken Minions in Twilight Hammer Cult since Vanilla
    Old God Forces might decide that anything is usable against light or whatever they want to do
    and While for Naaur both Demon and Undead and Void forces are evil, we alredy saw that they can "purify" or Lightforge almost anyone - Demons - Lothraxion. Human - Tyralion, Draenei - whole race, Orc/Ogre - Mag'har Storyline, where they are called Lightsworn, even they can make Undead - Calia. half-demon - Illidan.

also lots of Naaru army leaders are non-light wielders. back in TBC Khadgar was assumed to be their ally. and it was him who summoned Naaru to Outland. while Khadgar does not seem to be much a believer and is an Arcane wielding mage. and for some light worshipers mages are heretics.
    so these Generals might recruit any race to stop whatever they try to.

event here might be some other forces at play instead of Holy and Void armies.
    if we assume that both Light and Void are bad (and we have seen that absolute light and absolute void are both very bad), alliance and horde leaders might decide to join forces with some other forces.

let's say, remnants of Burning Legion are reforged into new army, and instead to destroy planets and life, decide to go and join Illidari and mortals to keep universe safe from both Light and from Void. (there is Shivarra leader in Illidari, who deflected BL, because she decided wiping out all existence didnot suit her)
    also some other force who is behind Sylvanas or Undeath might resurface as another Faction, even a LK will be good for that, as leader of Undeath Faction, which is assumed to be enemy of both death and life. and their forces decide embrace undeath to stop greater threat

there are lots of other possibilities and explanations that might happen

sorry for bad English and too big Post

my question is again, what if existing Factions will turn into two new factions, which can become two different factions. and these new ones can have any race in their ranks

any player and race can decide which side to join
    this way, we can still have Two factions, and it won't ruin game balance of 15 years, which is based on two factions
    while it will also allow cross-faction groups to exist

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Any idea that further homogenizes the game should be wholey and utterly rejected, but I think it could happen because bad decisions seem to be a common occurrence in Blizzard right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Any idea that further homogenizes the game should be wholey and utterly rejected, but I think it could happen because bad decisions seem to be a common occurrence in Blizzard right now.
    The outdated faction system has caused more homogenizing than anything in this game's history. It's the reason why the Alliance gets to be the humans, purple humans, short humans, shorter humans, fuzzy humans, and Draenei. If they split the factions, it'd allow all players to actually play with each other and let each race move forward without being human/orc washed.

The whole "HvA is the basis of Warcraft" argument is tired and factually wrong. The game and story would be better off leaving that behind and moving forward.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

10+ Year Old Account

You act like Blizzard cares about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Not happening. Blizzard have said they don't want any more factions as it'd split the playerbase. They're more likely to merge them (Which is just as bad imo).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    The outdated faction system has caused more homogenizing than anything in this game's history. It's the reason why the Alliance gets to be the humans, purple humans, short humans, shorter humans, fuzzy humans, and Draenei. If they split the factions, it'd allow all players to actually play with each other and let each race move forward without being human/orc washed.

The whole "HvA is the basis of Warcraft" argument is tired and factually wrong. The game and story would be better off leaving that behind and moving forward.
    All that'd happen is that the Horde races would become more humanised. The faction split is the only reason Horde races get any attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    All that'd happen is that the Horde races would become more humanised. The faction split is the only reason Horde races get any attention.
    They're just getting lumped in with the Lich Queen right now, which is heading toward its inevitable "our leader made us do it and she's gone now so everything's fine and let's all be friends again" conclusion just like MoP. I don't see how losing the faction system could make that any worse.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    They're just getting lumped in with the Lich Queen right now, which is heading toward its inevitable "our leader made us do it and she's gone now so everything's fine and let's all be friends again" conclusion just like MoP. I don't see how losing the faction system could make that any worse.
    Because as shit as it is, I prefer it over being Alliance.

7+ Year Old Account
    i rather have a completely evil third faction than this boring and cliche light vs void thing.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2019-05-07 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    If they go with light vs void, probably it's gonna be similar to the system of Shattran city with Aldors and Scryers but with the flavor of playing with people of any race in pve content and new bgs and arenas to "impress the gods for their favor"

This totally could happen to break the formula but that expansion probably won't happen for a long while, we are still 2 or 3 before the void lords and who knows what else are in the others planes
    Current WoW has the road mapped to 2024 as the final expansion, and with dwindling subs it is looking more and more to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Current WoW has the road mapped to 2024 as the final expansion, and with dwindling subs it is looking more and more to be the case.
    Sauce of that statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Sauce of that statement?
    https://www.polygon.com/2014/10/30/7...around-in-2024

A bunch of sites reported on it but this is the one that popped up first. Not necessarily the final one but I assume depending on how the game does going forward it could end sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    https://www.polygon.com/2014/10/30/7...around-in-2024

A bunch of sites reported on it but this is the one that popped up first. Not necessarily the final one but I assume depending on how the game does going forward it could end sooner or later.
    Well considerig EQ still has expansions, I expect this game will still launch new content after 2024 but probably there are more expansions to come and chronicles introduced another 3 realms like the arcane, light and void also there are a lot of arcs to close