Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    We have housing programs too, but that is all taken care of by the departments in charge of it and it is usually just a % rent reduction and you still have to pay the rest. UBI is the way to go to fix a lot of these issues anyhow, getting rid of all these extra programs and shit and implementing UBI would go a lot further. The real thing they should teach people through government assistance is how to budget and not overspend.
    While I agree a UBI is inevitable, traditional welfare will still need to exist in some form with a UBI (and in my opinion they should be FAR more heavy handed with it at that point).

Because some people will inevitably squander their UBI for whatever reason, and unless we are ok with them being left to starve in the street at that point, they will still need to be provided for.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    While I agree a UBI is inevitable, traditional welfare will still need to exist in some form with a UBI (and in my opinion they should be FAR more heavy handed with it at that point).

Because some people will inevitably squander their UBI for whatever reason, and unless we are ok with them being left to starve in the street at that point, they will still need to be provided for.
    Anyone who is still on the streets after UBI is implemented have severe mental problems and no amount of money will fix it so that will need to be addresses in another manner.

Not a very nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Cashier sounds a lot like a waitress that once refused to let me pay for a couple's dinner after their card was declined.

There's some really shitty people in the world.
    How the hell does that work? She refused your direct money? What if you gave it to the couple?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

i wonder if this story belongs to the 100000000 fake stories that roam Facebook everyday or the 100 true stories that show up from time to time if this is true then i hope that cashier is currently without a job

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    How the hell does that work? She refused your direct money? What if you gave it to the couple?
    I was sitting behind the couple, having dinner with my wife. The couple paid with a card and the waitress a little too loudly said that the card had been declined. They gave her a second card, and when she walked past me I stopped her and said I'd like to pay for their meal. She told me she couldn't do that and walked away, charged the couple their meal on the second card, and that was the end of it....

Until I posted a Yelp Review about it and got to speak with the store owner face to face about a week later.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who is still on the streets after UBI is implemented have severe mental problems and no amount of money will fix it so that will need to be addresses in another manner.
    I am referring more to people who would waste the money... They might take all to Vegas, put it all on red, and hope to double it, but lose it all instead... They might be a drug addict who blows it all on drugs... They might just be really irresponsible and spend it all on unnecessary things and then have nothing left to provide for themselves... Etc.

Well unless society just says "we gave you money and you wasted it, fuck off and die", which I doubt will happen, those people will still need to be provided for after wasting their UBI.

That's why I said I supported a more 'heavy handed' approach to welfare at that point, as in the government has way more control over the spending, if not all of the control, since the people in such situations will have demonstrated they are incapable of handling the money responsibly themselves.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2019-01-16 at 08:19 PM.

I was sitting behind the couple, having dinner with my wife. The couple paid with a card and the waitress a little too loudly said that the card had been declined. They gave her a second card, and when she walked past me I stopped her and said I'd like to pay for their meal. She told me she couldn't do that and walked away, charged the couple their meal on the second card, and that was the end of it....

Until I posted a Yelp Review about it and got to speak with the store owner face to face about a week later.
    Yeah that is a weird way to react. I've paid for groceries for people a handful of times when they came up short. Majority of the time the Cashier is just as relieved as the customer since it ends what is a pretty awkward situation for everyone involved.

I've used a state card for unemployment benefits. You do get strange looks from the cashier.

I don't care, I paid into unemployment so that I could collect benefits should I become employed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

5+ Year Old Account
    Cashier sounds a lot like a waitress that once refused to let me pay for a couple's dinner after their card was declined.
    How is this even possible?
    I'd record every second while calling the police and their manager at the same time

As for the OP - situations like this need to be recorded before being made public, unless there are multiple witnesses...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadriker View Post
    Yeah that is a weird way to react. I've paid for groceries for people a handful of times when they came up short. Majority of the time the Cashier is just as relieved as the customer since it ends what is a pretty awkward situation for everyone involved.
    Agreed. I think it was just an instance where the waitress was having a bad day and instead of taking it out on whomever caused it she took it out on the customers. Completely unprofessional but for some reason probably made her feel better for a brief second?

Quote Originally Posted by Adapter View Post
    How is this even possible?
    I'd record every second while calling the police and their manager at the same time

As for the OP - situations like this need to be recorded before being made public, unless there are multiple witnesses...
    Not quite sure what the police would do in this situation. There's no actual crimes being committed.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I am referring more to people who would waste the money... They might take all to Vegas, put it all on red, and hope to double it, but lose it all instead... They might be a drug addict who blows it all on drugs... They might just be really irresponsible and spend it all on unnecessary things and then have nothing left to provide for themselves... Etc.

Well unless society just says "we gave you money and you wasted it, fuck off and die", which I doubt will happen, those people will still need to be provided for after wasting their UBI.

That's why I said I supported a more 'heavy handed' approach to welfare at that point, as in the government has way more control over the spending, if not all of the control, since the people in such situations will have demonstrated they are incapable of handling the money responsibly themselves.
    Everything you described is severe mental illness, all addiction is mental illness and stems from trauma. Government needs to take mental illness more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I've used a state card for unemployment benefits. You do get strange looks from the cashier.

I don't care, I paid into unemployment so that I could collect benefits should I become employed.
    Yeah i hate that. When I was a young father we used government benefits like WIC, SNAP, etc. It allowed me and my wife to finish school and in turn able to eventually out earn the need for it. Something that may have not been possible or at the very least taken a lot longer if the assistance wasn't available.

There is no shame in needing help.

5+ Year Old Account
    Not quite sure what the police would do in this situation. There's no actual crimes being committed.
    I'd call them so the couple could leave without any issues with a credible witness to the situation present.

Rude. I've been on food stamps before; the swipe card is convenient but it is a little embarrassing. Better than starving or being malnutritioned, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anonymous facebook viral post, sounds like real news to me!
    /s

The smart way to do it is direct deposit into your account like in Canada then no one knows any of your business, why would they still use an archaic system like that? How far behind the rest of the world is the US?
    I'm on SSI (like disability) and this is how it's done. As far as I know I have no restrictions, the money is mine to do as I please, but for specific things like food stamps which are meant to be used on food/groceries, I can see why it would be this way.

OT: Fuck this dick, hope he gets fired. You don't treat customers (especially not asshole ones) like this.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I'm on SSI (like disability) and this is how it's done. As far as I know I have no restrictions, the money is mine to do as I please, but for specific things like food stamps which are meant to be used on food/groceries, I can see why it would be this way.

OT: Fuck this dick, hope he gets fired. You don't treat customers (especially not asshole ones) like this.
    Ya all in all it is a dick thing to do regardless, I think they should have to apologize and take some anger management training.

7+ Year Old Account
    I worked at a grocery store for 10 years and government assistance programs are heavily abused. 1st week of the month was always crazy, people buying way more than they need just because its free.

Still, you never know someones real situation so dont be an asshole.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are many americans that work 2 jobs and still need to rely on Food Stamps to feed their family. Groceries are expensive. The healthy stuff costs more than junk food!