Page 1 of 2
LastLast

J J Abrams making remake of (Your name)

So he is developing a remake live action version of the anime hit (Your name) with Paramount pictures. Anyone else think this would be bad?

I don:t think anyone asked for this!
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

What's your name, OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    What's your name, OP?
    It:s a pretty cool and very popular anime movie about a high school boy in Tokyo and a girl that lives in the countryside that exchange bodies.
    If you:re into anime, you would probably know about it already.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

I don't get it
    hit & run posting lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Why are American movie makers obsessed with remaking bad anime in live action?
    Just saying, “Your Name” is a Gods damned masterpiece and one of the best animated films in YEARS.

And yeah, Abrams has been saying he was going to remake this since the original came out, it’s not going to happen. Same as the live action Akita, or so many other adaptions that never saw the light of day.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I mean at least they don't ruin the classics I guess
    I have no idea what this is, but aren't bad properties what you'd actually want to be remade? What's the point in remaking something that's already been done well, and in a similar medium, no less? (I'm looking at you The Last Airbender)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Just saying, “Your Name” is a Gods damned masterpiece and one of the best animated films in YEARS.

And yeah, Abrams has been saying he was going to remake this since the original came out, it’s not going to happen. Same as the live action Akita, or so many other adaptions that never saw the light of day.
    It's in the works, dude. From a western point of view, no less.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see a purpose honestly. But hey, i'm going to watch it, just so I can complain or gush over it.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

#i can see it now, he's from New York and she's from Iowa........

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    What's your name, OP?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Name it's a great movie.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2019-01-14 at 01:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess he gets a pay cheque if it actually gets released
    Sad, but probably true. Shit, even if the film BOMBS he still gets paid, guess it’s a win/win... for him. It’s pretty much a guareted loss for the viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    It's in the works, dude. From a western point of view, no less.
    It’s been “in the works” for ages. Development hell is real. Especially if the reaction online etc is bad enough, the studios know it’ll be a loss and thus don’t want to back it.

That said, IF they’re remaking it, there’s no point trying to make a carbon copy. If an American studio is making a live action, I see no reason NOT to set it in America. The film is going to be garbage regardless, might as well shoot for the moon.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

I always wonder why there has to be an american remake of everthing there is. Is the american audience unable to understand anything that isn't predigested for them? Not that i'm an anime fan (i'm not), but it sure wouldn't hurt to have a look at different cultures every once in a while.

I hope Paramount and Bad Robot paid a decent amount for the rights to the remake. Hopefully enough to bankroll some more Makoto Shinkai movies.

But for the actual remake I can't wait to see the social justice hell that will be raised over the remake. We already got enough people making a stink about Taki sexually assaulting Mitsuha when he's in her body in the original... I can just picture the shit storm of "JJ Abrams commands teenage female actress to grope her own breasts"...

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think that scene won’t get cut/modified, you’re not paying enough attention to modern Hollywood.

I’m guessing we’ll get the usual FakeWoke nonsense of “ERMAGERD! This film was an anime, which means it has to have an Asian cast! Even if the anime wasn’t set in Japan! Because anime is Japanese and that means any anime movie must have a Japanese cast!”

Even though that’s as racist, if not more so, than supposed “whitewashing” of anime movies.

But honestly, I’m still hoping this film doesn’t happen.

Go watch it. it is beautiful.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    So he is developing a remake live action version of the anime hit (Your name) with Paramount pictures. Anyone else think this would be bad?

I don:t think anyone asked for this!
    If movie makers only made what people asked for, hollywood would have died decades ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Isn’t there a movie or show on Netflix about this story? I think it may be two Japanese girls instead, idk.
    You might be thinking of Erased. That got a netflix show. Not watched it myself but it looks as though people enjoyed it.

Because American film makers have gone from making original-ish stuff to making stuff that was already made but doing it worse.
    Oh, this meaningless complaint. Remakes have been a thing since movies existed.

But you didn't answer the question: If things are going to be remade (which they are, get over it) why wouldn't you want things that are bad/obscure to be remade instead of things that are already good? At least then there's a chance that it will be an improvement, or at the very least expose the property to a new audience.

I mean at least they don't ruin the classics I guess
    James Cameron: Hold my beer!

OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

No. Don't. Please. Don't ruin my favorite fucking Anime movie. Why?!

Oh god, you damn fool. Why the fuck would you...?!

Ugh...

JJ Abrams...just...just...

GO!

- - - Updated - - -

At least DBS: Broly's doing well...