What's the point of the 'Starter Edition'?

So I want to try this game and went on Steam. There's a Starter Edition for $20. Is there any reason to not just do the Free Trial through the website?

10+ Year Old Account
    Try the free trial on the website. It's free for an unlimited time but stops your leveling progress at level 35. You could level each job to 35 before buying the game if you wished to. There are some social restrictions while you're on the trial. You can't get mail, talk in whispers, or join a guild...I'm not entirely sure if there are more than that. You can still use the dungeon finder and work on the MSQ and such.

If you decide to buy the game, I'd suggest buying from the website over steam. It's the same price as far as I know but I've seen it mentioned that if steam were down you wouldn't be able to play the game then either until it was back up. Base game to 50 is $20, if you buy the collection it's $60 and includes all the expansions. Then subscription. It automatically gives you 30 days subscription when you buy the game, plus 14 days for reaching level 30.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    So I want to try this game and went on Steam. There's a Starter Edition for $20. Is there any reason to not just do the Free Trial through the website?
    The only thing is that the Steam version is "technically" different from the PC version. If you buy the Steam version, you have to buy expansions through Steam. If you buy the PC version, you cannot buy expansions through Steam. You cannot mix and match. You still play with all the PC, Steam, and PS4 players.

I think the Free Trial is available through Steam, but they call it a "Demo" or similar. Just remember, if you start with Steam, you must always use Steam. If you start with the website, you cannot use Steam anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    Try the free trial on the website. It's free for an unlimited time but stops your leveling progress at level 35. You could level each job to 35 before buying the game if you wished to. There are some social restrictions while you're on the trial. You can't get mail, talk in whispers, or join a guild...I'm not entirely sure if there are more than that. You can still use the dungeon finder and work on the MSQ and such.

If you decide to buy the game, I'd suggest buying from the website over steam. It's the same price as far as I know but I've seen it mentioned that if steam were down you wouldn't be able to play the game then either until it was back up. Base game to 50 is $20, if you buy the collection it's $60 and includes all the expansions. Then subscription. It automatically gives you 30 days subscription when you buy the game, plus 14 days for reaching level 30.
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    The only thing is that the Steam version is "technically" different from the PC version. If you buy the Steam version, you have to buy expansions through Steam. If you buy the PC version, you cannot buy expansions through Steam. You cannot mix and match. You still play with all the PC, Steam, and PS4 players.

I think the Free Trial is available through Steam, but they call it a "Demo" or similar. Just remember, if you start with Steam, you must always use Steam. If you start with the website, you cannot use Steam anymore.
    Thanks for the info. Will be doing the free trial through the website then, and buy on website.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Thanks for the info. Will be doing the free trial through the website then, and buy on website.
    The stater pack is just the original game with no expacs. Lets you do more than the free trial

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    The stater pack is just the original game with no expacs. Lets you do more than the free trial
    Right...he said he wants to TRY the game though, so I assume he wants to see if he likes it without having to pay for anything. Starter pack is $20.

I started with free trial as well, and aside from what I mentioned I think the only other thing I couldn't enjoy was Au'ra until I bought the expansions. Anyone rolling on a preferred server (with road to 60 buff) will probably be 35 on a job within like two days anyways.

FWIW, non-Steam version of the game tends to go on sale more often than it's Steam counterpart, for whatever reason.