Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    You should vote based on the polticans position not whether they visted you or not. Trump has done nothing about the opioid crisis or healthcare.
    Sure, but showing you care is also a step to gain votes, if you ignore some don't be surprised they are ignoring you back. It's mainly dems arrogance that led to their own downfal... at least in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Incorrect I said that during the passing of the Electoral College neither women could vote and African Americans were considered 3/5th a person and also could not vote. To a modern day Conservative of either to support such a system because it gave them their last two Presidents is to support a system that when implemented did not count them as real people.

You're the one who brought up political parties. Once again I said Conservative not Republican.
    I hear the distinct sounds of shifting goal posts.

So now supporting something is supporting the system as it was... then damn, guess that means supporting democracy is supporting every negative action associated during the course of it's existence.

Maybe you didn't get the memo about why the 2016 election went the way it did, but you're choice of argument falls inline with one of the very reasons that made the democratic party look utterly atrocious. For a cheap shot at making a demographic look bad, or lesser, you sully yourself further.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Sure, but showing you care is also a step to gain votes, if you ignore some don't be surprised they are ignoring you back. It's mainly dems arrogance that led to their own downfal... at least in my eyes.
    Nah vote for the guy who can help you and has a good track record. They voting for a guy with a spotty one and now those problems go unaddressed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post

So now supporting something is supporting the system as it was... then damn, guess that means supporting democracy is supporting every negative action associated during the course of it's existence.

Maybe you didn't get the memo about why the 2016 election went the way it did, but you're choice of argument falls inline with one of the very reasons that made the democratic party look utterly atrocious. For a cheap shot at making a demographic look bad, or lesser, you sully yourself further.
    Nah Trump also got a ton of outside help through cambrige analytical(Israeal) and the Russian. The republicans also potentially leaked the second investigation into Hillary. While Trying to suppress Trumps. He got a ton of help and didn't come close to winning on his own.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    Neither. But you’ve shown which you are. You stand with the Bigots. Why defend bigotry?
    Ah. So ignorant. Been smoking the right-wing caricature of what "Liberals" believe?

I'm a straight white male. Many of my favorite left-wing commentators are straight white males. I don't feel under assault. And in any case, most of that is dumb culture war shit that has little to nothing to do with the actual policies of either parties.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Because he is tremendous. Can't wait for vote for him again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans: Let's pass a budget with funding for The Wall.
    Democrats: NO NOT THE WALL! ORANGE MAN BAD!
    Republicans: Well... OK Then...
    Democrats: Let's pass a budget with funding for (i don't even know what Democrats are trying to push now) and no wall.
    Republicans: NO ANYTHING BUT THAT! WE NEED THE WALL!!!!
    Democrats: Well... OK Then...
    Republicans: Let's pass a budget with funding for The Wall and not (whatever the fuck)
    Democrats: NO NOT THE WALL! WE NEED (whatever the fuck)!
    Republicans: WALL!
    Democrats: NO WALL!

That's why we have the shutdown. Democrats are saying the sky is Magenta, Republicans are arguing that its actually Pink.

Neither side wants to give. Period.
    Last edited by SinR; 2019-01-20 at 11:09 PM. Reason: M a g e n t a
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Because it is a democracy and enough people voted for him.
    You mean gerrymandering gave the victory to a person who was not favoured by the majority?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Democrats: Let's pass a budget with funding for (i don't even know what Democrats are trying to push now) and no wall.
    Republicans: Let's pass a budget with funding for The Wall and not (whatever the fuck)

That's why we have the shutdown. Democrats are saying the sky is Magenta, Republicans are arguing that its actually Pink.

I saw your edit.

The democrats and republicans passed a budget with massive support from both sides. The problem is Trump not budging. He's trying to undermine the house that people voted for which is to bad for him. He had two years to make the wall happen and he choice not to.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Not that the shit show would've been any lesser with a woman at the helm though.
    Big yikes.

I imagine a lot of people agree with this sentiment and it makes me sick.

10+ Year Old Account

You're really going to die on that hill?

The Electoral College has never been about giving a fair voice to every member of the population. When it was introduced in 1787 neither women nor blacks had a right to vote. However they were counted as a part of the population to the smaller states which were big on the slave trade to give them a louder voice in government. Today the Electoral College still stymies the voice of those who would vote Republican in a state such as California or Democrat in a state like Texas. So yes they're still supporting a system that does not give them a voice whether it's 1787 or 2019.

The 2016 Election went the same was as the 2000 Election. A system that goes all or nothing in whomever wins a state instead of every person having a distinct voice in the electoral process. A voice that by now should have clearly stated that the vast majority of Americans do not support Republican Presidents as noted by the inability to win the popular vote.

You can call it a cheap shot all you want. It's pretty obvious that to defend the Electoral College at this point is to admit that hiding behind it means your party is terrible at gaining the votes it needs to rule by the voice of its people.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

You can write a book on the reasons why but here was my take on that election

1. A bad line up of Republican candidates
    2. Trump for his faults does have name recognition
    3. The press and the TV news gave him billions of dollars worth of free advertisment cause it was like 'Trump is now doing a rally lets go live there' they did that knowing that man is gonna say something stupid and controversal and that equals ratings.
    4. Bernie Sanders
    5. Hilary Clinton was seen as too establishment and alot of Bernie fans saw her nomination as a stich up of Bernie Sanders.
    6. Fake News from Russia and other nefarious sources.
    7. Trump promised the moon while Hilary seemed to flip flop and didnt inspire people.
    8. Internet trolling and the meme wars
    9. Electoral college - Now the problem is the USA is actually more left than what people realise but the problem is they all live in the cities and its the rural areas that are more conservative who seem to hold all the power.

I could go on and many people have but that was just my take seeing 2016 unfold.

Although you missed the part where the Senate GoP already passed a budget without a wall and then Trump decided to throw a tantrum.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Eight years of Obama during which the income/wealth gap continued to grow and the middle class continued to shrink. Bailing out the banks and Wall Street instead of saving the poor folks who lost their savings and pensions. No effort to control increasing healthcare costs, chaos in the Middle East, the refugee crisis. She was smack dab in the middle of all that and Americans wanted a change.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because like many others I know, the Democrats holding up Hillary didnt give us much choice

Quote Originally Posted by EliWallach View Post
    Eight years of Obama during which the income/wealth gap continued to grow and the middle class continued to shrink. Bailing out the banks and Wall Street instead of saving the poor folks who lost their savings and pensions. No effort to control increasing healthcare costs, chaos in the Middle East, the refugee crisis. She was smack dab in the middle of all that and Americans wanted a change.
    You keep believing that. Every actual study of people that voted for President Smoothbrains has shown it pretty much boils down to racism, not wanting a woman in office, and "to trigger da libs~".

Because the other choice was so unlikable that the orange headed silly man prevailed.

Any other candidate from the democrats would have won but hilary is just repulsive.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Man oh man.

How can this be so hard to comprehend for modern leftists? The wall insta-clicked with me, I understood its purpose immediately.

It is SYMBOLIC.

It symbolizes resisting CHANGE. It symbolizes resisting immigration in the strongest visual way possible, by walling up and saying "this is MY TURF, YOU out there! NOT effing welcome. Go away.".

People understand it might not be super-effective. They understand it costs a lot of money.

But so what? It's a show of force. "We, the US citizens, have had enough immigration. WE will put a stop to it the best way we can. WE will build a barrier between US, and them.".

The wall is the most extreme they can get while keeping a chance at building it. Trust me, if it was truly for these people that voted Trump to choose, they would electrify the wall and get drones with Hellfire missiles watching over, but they know that won't happen - hell, a simple wall might not happen.

It is reactionary and a manifestation of deep disillusionment with modern society and rapidly changing societal norms and expectations. Do not expect reasonable, rational explanations. It is us and them, and there's a war, and they're soldiers in it.

We dont want a wall....we'd rather have a 100ft zone with autofiring machine guns to stop INVADERS. Immigrants come in through a legal process and legal Ports of Entry and are welcomed.

You're really going to die on that hill?
    I'm on stable ground. You want to double down on you're end

The Electoral College has never been about giving a fair voice to every member of the population. When it was introduced in 1787 neither women nor blacks had a right to vote. However they were counted as a part of the population to the smaller states which were big on the slave trade to give them a louder voice in government. Today the Electoral College still stymies the voice of those who would vote Republican in a state such as California or Democrat in a state like Texas. So yes they're still supporting a system that does not give them a voice whether it's 1787 or 2019.
    So you want to use the fact that support of a system that in the past was used to enforce racist views is support of of a racist system... mind you that the voting system was also used to such an end itself so it's a pointless discussion to bring up dirt like this but go ahead and double down on that load of bullshit because it makes you feel better to belittle someone you disagree with

You can call it a cheap shot all you want. It's pretty obvious that to defend the Electoral College at this point is to admit that hiding behind it means your party is terrible at gaining the votes it needs to rule by the voice of its people.
    I will do call you actions a cheap shot and go further to say that if you think the EC is the biggest thing about the election you might still not be grasping the full extent of what went wrong

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Derpling View Post
    You keep believing that. Every actual study of people that voted for President Smoothbrains has shown it pretty much boils down to racism, not wanting a woman in office, and "to trigger da libs~".
    i think you need to go back and evaluate who all did those studies... sounds like the same people who went forward with the 90+% odds favoring Clinton in the election.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Any other candidate from the democrats would have won but hilary is just repulsive.
    Pretty much this.

I think most people would agree here. Hillary had too much baggage coming in associated with who she was, and a campaign that felt like she was calling out "it's her turn" rather than proof she was a better candidate than Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post

I have almost no doubt this had a lot to do with it as well. It was a perfect storm and even then Trump barely won by a technicality.

Democrats should've got with the people, not the party. I hope an important lesson was learned because if not then I fear we're going to face another five years of this embarrassment of a human being representing our country. I think there were a ton of votes that looked between incompetent and corrupt and chose the former.
    they have not learned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm on stable ground. You want to double down on you're end

So you want to use the fact that support of a system that in the past was used to enforce racist views is support of of a racist system... mind you that the voting system was also used to such an end itself so it's a pointless discussion to bring up dirt like this but go ahead and double down on that load of bullshit because it makes you feel better to belittle someone you disagree with

I will do call you actions a cheap shot and go further to say that if you think the EC is the biggest thing about the election you might still not be grasping the full extent of what went wrong
    Are you sure about that stable ground?

What has changed about that system today that it wasn't years back? It certainly wasn't the Electoral College itself. It was people fighting for their right to vote that interjected a new voice into the system. It was met by giving more Electoral power to the smaller states because somehow landmass gets a vote over people. It was a racist and sexist system when it was implemented and it's still a system that prevents a large portion of its people to go without a voice.

You're right the biggest thing about the 2016 wasn't the Electoral College. It had to do with a little bit of Russia...a little bit of Comey's last minute reveal....and a whole lot to do with people who felt slighted they didn't get everything they wanted with Obama.

I get it that modern day Conservatives (especially since 2008) have this hard on about the EC...but it's pretty much coming down to their party becoming incredibly unpopular with a large portion of the nation. I mean we've had only 5 times in the past 200 years that the EC picked a winner the popular vote didn't. The last two times were Trump and Bush Jr....the last Republican to win the Popular Vote...the late George HW Bush.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)