Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Protest in Athens over Macedonia name change

Glad they are fighting for their heritage. People are waking up.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don 't have sound where i 'm at so i cant hear the video,, what name are they trying to change? the actual name of the country ??

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "waking up" to what, exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Republic of North Macedonia, apparently.
    hurtful globalization and preserving national identity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by socialmaker View Post
    I consider it weird the national identity would disappear or change entirely over this name change.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I consider it weird the national identity would disappear or change entirely over this name change.

Who are the Saxons and were are they today, when you answer that, who are the anglo-saxons, and where are they now.

When you come to answer both of them questions, do you still refer to the people of both of them location as Saxons? No, you do not, because that died with the former nation when a new one was formed.

Seems like they have problems they don't want to face so they pick something else to obsess about as a distraction for themselves.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dunhildas View Post
    Who are the Saxons and were are they today
    A Germanic tribe, long dead and buried as they have been for centuries.

when you answer that, who are the anglo-saxons, and where are they now.
    Angles and Saxons who migrated to and conquered a large portion of Britain about 1500 years ago, long dead and buried as they have been for centuries.

When you come to answer both of them questions, do you still refer to the people of both of them location as Saxons?
    Today? Not in the case of the Anglo-Saxons no as they have been gone for a millenia, I'm unsure about the German Saxons but don't believe they're around anymore either?

Got any more buzzwords from the extreme nationalist right that you probably don't even understand to throw around?

How is any of this related to globalization? What are the Greeks supposed to do? Invade Macedonia and force them to change their name?

This "conflict" over the name of the fucking place is possibly one of the dumbest ongoing geopolitical conflicts in the world. It's so profoundly stupid it boggles the mind.

There are quite a few countries in Europe whose names are total misnomers. Of the top my head, Romania (the land of the Romans) has no Romans in it, Hungary has no relation to the Huns (something that is obvious in the actual Hungarian name of the country, Magyarorszag as in the Country of the Magyars), the Netherlands means the Low Countries when the Low Countries actually include Belgium and Luxembourg as well and so on.

The Slavic Macedonians have been around since the fucking 5th century. That's a fuckton longer than the Hungarians have been in Europe, the Flemish have been in Belgium and the Romanians have started calling themselves Romanian or for the matter the French calling themselves French. Greeks need to get the fuck over it, and just learn to fucking live with the neighbors.

P.S I'm half Greek and I think Greece is ridiculous country and Greeks are often enough stupid parodies of themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ayy, looks exactly like when I was in Athens in 2010!

Good to see some things don't change.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Trying to play the video gets me a "an error has occurred" - but I know what this is about regardless. (Still odd.)

I have a lot of sympathies for the Greek people, less so for their government and how they ran themselves into the ground during the past few... uhm, centuries I guess. This whole debate (which is going on for WAY longer than some might think) is an example of something I simply just won't understand with Greeks. Sure, a region of your country is historically called the same. But the country you're at odds with is bordering this region directly, and also has some historic claim to the name. If it were my country, Germany, and there was a separate country that would want to call itself "South Bavaria" while we keep our state "Bavaria", sure! Why the hell not?

It would be in the same general location, people would historically associate with the Label, they just happened to end up in different top-level governments. It's fucking stupid to make such a big deal out of something that should simply be a matter of: "Ok, this or that way it's clear that you're something independent and different than us, despite sharing a word in the name for the thing." I just don't get it. Let the "other" Macedonians call themselves that, and yours can call themselves the same. People aren't that dumb - they'll understand that there are two different things with a similar (and NOT identical!!) name on this world.

OP is a Greek nationalist the way he talks, and is root and cause of this problem. Get a grip and try to gain meaning by something else than just silly national identity. Jeez. It's fucking 2019 already.

Alright, I'm trying to understand this, I get some of the logistics over this...

Late 80's Yugoslavia dissolved, a small portion of that became their own country Macedonia, more or less sort of in the area of ancient Macedon. Greece didn't like that for some reason and have been dicks about them calling themselves Macedonia, to the point where the UN refers to them as FYROM because... the UN is fucking useless and could have just ended this by calling them Macedonia. I digress, the Greek leader had put forth a deal to allow Macedonia to refer to themselves as the Republic of North Macedonia...

And the Greek people have a problem with this? No offense to them, but they are barely a country right now, and I don't mean in the sense that they are having issues. I mean, Greece, as a country has only existed maybe for 50 years, unless they want to count dictatorships and other such hostile take overs. Greece isn't even their "countries" name its the Hellenic Republic. Classical Greece doesn't even include Macedon, it wasn't until post Alexander the Great that Macedon was considered part of the Hellenic city-states that encompass what we consider the area of Greece.

This sounds a bit like having their cake and eating it too.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Alright, I'm trying to understand this, I get some of the logistics over this...

Late 80's Yugoslavia dissolved, a small portion of that became their own country Macedonia, more or less sort of in the area of ancient Macedon. Greece didn't like that for some reason and have been dicks about them calling themselves Macedonia, to the point where the UN refers to them as FYROM because... the UN is fucking useless and could have just ended this by calling them Macedonia. I digress, the Greek leader had put forth a deal to allow Macedonia to refer to themselves as the Republic of North Macedonia...

And the Greek people have a problem with this? No offense to them, but they are barely a country right now, and I don't mean in the sense that they are having issues. I mean, Greece, as a country has only existed maybe for 50 years, unless they want to count dictatorships and other such hostile take overs. Greece isn't even their "countries" name its the Hellenic Republic. Classical Greece doesn't even include Macedon, it wasn't until post Alexander the Great that Macedon was considered part of the Hellenic city-states that encompass what we consider the area of Greece.

This sounds a bit like having their cake and eating it too.
    We will look back on this day 50 years from now as the start of World War 3... Not over someone being killed...not over reperations and a dicator. But over a name change that someone didn't like..... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    A Germanic tribe, long dead and buried as they have been for centuries.

Angles and Saxons who migrated to and conquered a large portion of Britain about 1500 years ago, long dead and buried as they have been for centuries.

Today? Not in the case of the Anglo-Saxons no as they have been gone for a millenia, I'm unsure about the German Saxons but don't believe they're around anymore either?
    I feel bad for you, your educational system where you live must be shit. Or you're just ignorant, i'll go with this one and it fits majority of MMoC posters.

Globalism is cancer. It means surrendering your national identity and sovereignty to faceless corporations, and unelected/unaccountable bureaucrats.
    Each nation should be governed by people who are born to that nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverb256 View Post
    Globalism is cancer. It means surrendering your national identity and sovereignty to faceless corporations, and unelected/unaccountable bureaucrats.
    Each nation should be governed by people who are born to that nation.
    So, by this logic, the people of Macedonia want to call their country Macedonia so they should just call it that and not give a shit what the Greek people think?

10+ Year Old Account
    So many people losing their shit over inconsequential nonsense.

The people of Greece have far more to worry about than the name of some country. They can start with the solvency of their economy, for one.

- - - Updated - - -

Who are the Saxons and were are they today, when you answer that, who are the anglo-saxons, and where are they now.

When you come to answer both of them questions, do you still refer to the people of both of them location as Saxons? No, you do not, because that died with the former nation when a new one was formed.
    And yet the world kept spinning
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

To a layman whats the deal here? I usual keep up with politics but why the fuss over this?

I know the story of Alexander the Great and all that shit but why has this popped up now and why get angry?

Sure i can google but then i can google the meaning of life also

Down with Gobalization. Let the UK leave the EU. That's what the people voted for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    FYROM and Greece have a dispute over the name and ethnic identity of Macedonia. The former had irridentist claims on a constitutional level, claiming borders far into Greece and demanding the recognition of a minority in Greece. The name resolution is probably the best it can be, adding a geographic designator ultimately after all FYROM does in part occupy lands of North Macedonia (though Bulgaria does too and the Macedonian area is just less than a third of their country). FYROM did amend their constitution and remove the irridentist claims but still have members in parliament that continue making those claims.
    The protesters in Greece do not belong in a single group. Some very few are indeed neo-fascists. Most are just people who don't see why Greece should change its stance on this after so many years for no discernible gains. For me personally the worst part is that the government is acting with no mandate whatsoever and while FYROM had a referendum and had an augmented majority voting for this, we have a government that has not had a mandate for the better part of two years going by polls (and I am not talking about polls giving them a slight margin of loss, I am talking about two digit difference from the first party), is trying to paint EVERYONE who protests their handling of this as a fascist, and if they ignore the public outcry and vote for this, they will still only get it through with a bare majority.

Did I mention our government is trying to push that there were only 60k people at the protest yesterday?
    Ah i see well this is a race i have no horse in so i will let you guys work this out.

If you're asking where Saxony is, it's in Germany. They have three Saxonys, in fact.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.