Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The motivation for things like that is to get rid of "profession alts".
    Well, it's an idiotic reason.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakecanada View Post
    What kind of team do they have at Blizzard? Do they ever think to themselves, I wonder if we should change professions entirely?

Should professions be just to make money? Or to give the player base what they love about Diablo and POE -- Gear and strength!!

Bring back sockets, bring back enchants on everything! Bring back making cool armor that takes weeks to make and you can compare it to Mythic plus plus!

Bring back having to get mats from all xpacs and you have to fly all over the world to get the stuff.

Bring back patches for the pants that make you tougher, bring back spikes for sheilds, Have some new and cool ideas that make people go WOW

The feeling you got when you heard they were gonna make DIABLO 1 gear again in Diablo 2

Boom

Aok
    my profession allows me to make gold from selling mounts
    it allows me to have unique things other professions dont like my glider, my nitro boots, my rez, my jeeves, mailbox, etc.
    my profession allows me to make good gear, being a super cool pair of goggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I came to a pretty sinister realization in BfA regarding professions and the economy.

Blizzard started selling gold in the cash shop at the same time that they introduced the mission table which was also the first time players could inflate the economy with large amounts of player-generated gold. Legion replicated this situation, with gold inflation and token prices on a pretty mild and steady increase. But then in BfA they abruptly cut off most gold generating avenues, notably gold missions, and yet somehow inflation and token prices have stayed inflated and stable. All this coincided with professions becoming increasingly pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The motivation for things like that is to get rid of "profession alts".
    The Gordian Knot solution to "profession alts" is to allow players to take as few or as many professions as they wish. End of problem.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

People say professions are pointless.
    I dont disagree, but people have the wrong idea about professions and what they should be.

They need to be a constantly churning and burning system.

The ONLY profession which still holds up is Alchemy, simply because it CHURNS AND BURNS resources.

Blacksmiths should be making belt and bracer sockets, shield spikes, spurs, sharpening stones, shield enchants.
    Engineers should be making utility belt enchants, speed boots, bombs, repair bots, mailbox, jumper cables, scopes.
    Enchanting should be enchanting weapons, gloves, bracers, boots, chests and necks.
    Inscription should be making glyphs, both combat and non combat, shoulder enchants, offhands, darkmoon decks.
    Jewelcrafting should be making GEMS, GEMS, GEMS, rings, necks, trinkets. (warforging should always proc sockets > tertiary > +ilvl)
    Leatherworking should be making Tank/Melee leg enchants, drums for budget STAM, INT and AP, Heroism, mount barding for all the new mount enchants we're going to have.
    Tailoring should be making Healer/Caster leg enchants, bandages, battle flags, BAGS, cloak embroidery.

This is just stuff that i know from memory that has already been in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The Gordian Knot solution to "profession alts" is to allow players to take as few or as many professions as they wish. End of problem.
    This is the state of the stupidity of this forum, a MODERATOR said this, fucking laughable.

ITS AN MMO, NOT YOUR SINGLE PLAYER RPG.

I actually liked professions in Legion. I loved the Quests that were somewhat long and complex and getting to Rank3 of something really felt good because it wasn't given to you super easy like in BFA.

I have no fucking idea why they completely removed all fun in professions with BFA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicymemer View Post
    This is the state of the stupidity of this forum, a MODERATOR said this, fucking laughable.

ITS AN MMO, NOT YOUR SINGLE PLAYER RPG.
    What's the actual difference between a player maintaining profession alts and being able to take as few or as many professions as you like? It's still single-player. People will still want to make money selling stuff.

OK. So you think it's stupid. How RPGish is it the way it currently is?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Just wait for Classic. It'll be all fine

In short. Balance. IMO “Back when profs were good...” Some has better perks than others. BS had sockets, Eng had tinkers for boots and stuff, tailoring and leatherworking had double stat imbues. The gathering profs gave stats or a heal in herbs case... Etc. people were complaining that X profession is mandatory and such.

WoW professions were awesome and useful, particularly in BC. The breakout specialties were just that good. Blizz just put the greatest aspects of the game, except for raiding, as a backseat for future expacs.

Quote Originally Posted by wanax View Post
    In short. Balance. IMO “Back when profs were good...” Some has better perks than others. BS had sockets, Eng had tinkers for boots and stuff, tailoring and leatherworking had double stat imbues. The gathering profs gave stats or a heal in herbs case... Etc. people were complaining that X profession is mandatory and such.
    Those perks always remain piss poor solution to what was happening in TBC.

In TBC, certain Professions handed out insane BoP items, such as the Cloth sets where some pieces basically remained BiS until T5 / T6, despite not requiring any materials from those raids.

In short, having a crafting profession was far more beneficial than anything else, because you just got really OP items from it - at least until you replaced those items.

Then Blizzard turned to those "special enchants" in Wotlk, which in my opinion were just bad solution, you didn't roll a crafting profession to craft items, you rolled it to apply some enchant.
    Essentially, you're choosing a profession based on some perk, not the actual profession, you're not crafting any armor anymore, you just apply an enchant based on your profession.

The discrepancy of those things was miniscule, the reason why a lot of simply rolled JC / BS was because the Professions that actually matched their armor type had no real perk on their own.

The only outstanding perk were Rocketboots for engineering, but those are different tale.

They should really just make it so everyone can do all three of the gathering professions. There are quests where a character has to mine, gather flowers, etc. Precedence for just making gathering the same as cooking or fishing. Everyone should be able to do it.

The other professions. They just need to make all the mats in the game are needed to make things. Maybe add effects if you use copper instead of iron to make a sword. Also, BOP items need to go away from Professions. Make the economy more player driven.

But that's just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    They should really just make it so everyone can do all three of the gathering professions. There are quests where a character has to mine, gather flowers, etc. Precedence for just making gathering the same as cooking or fishing. Everyone should be able to do it.

The other professions. They just need to make all the mats in the game are needed to make things. Maybe add effects if you use copper instead of iron to make a sword. Also, BOP items need to go away from Professions. Make the economy more player driven.

But that's just me.
    Stop giving them bad ideas. They can clearly do that on their own. As for professions please restore them to what they were during Mists. That's the last expansion where they actually mattered. Actually return the whole game back to Mists in terms of PvP, raiding, questing and dungeons. Everything they've done since with the exception of WoD's PvP which to the best of my knowledge was the same as Mists in terms of gearing. Legion started the downfall in nearly ever aspect of the game.

professions always were intended as a bonus in every aspect (gear, income, RP, etc). the evolution of professions was simplicistic since TBC, although various minor changes lead to a spike in effort in Legion. the 3-star recipe system and esp. profession quests were a response to the demand of the userbase to add more flavor and meaning to professions, while the basic formulae was unchanged.

many (negative) arguments demand the return of sockets, spikes, etc. - every BFA professions got their gimmicks, be it scrolls for scribes, flags for tailors, their mythic level gear and furhter fluff (pets, mounts!!). probably the market volume has increased since 7.0 due to the lower entrance, but overall its the same as it has ever been - leveling/catch-up/xmog gear, MOUNTS, pets, supplies (flask, pot) and esp. mats (the real winners of 7.0 3star revamp).

Blizzney hasnt failed on profession, just elaborated on the (not to bad) basic formulae, y change something unbroken?
    as a retired veteran i dont want professions overly complex and time-consuming, but immersion (RP) and income supporting, although more gimmicks, sockets and meaningful daily cds will be welcomed.

BDO and EVE markets (as probably the 2 most complex profession based economies in the genre) sound interesting, the time-investment is personally too much, although sometimes i still enjoy buying up a market after a sucessful walling and/or underselling (example: dumped BS legiondary prices and bought them out on tower release), my paladin just needs the mounts (and the rush of millions)...

10+ Year Old Account
    Professions need to be reworked fit the current game.

Maybe more focus on profession leveling, having things like blacksmithing, tailing and leatherworking be more powerful for the level the items are made for. As well as end game professions having the idea of making gear that is slightly better than the first raid content or on par, making those rafting professions feel more important.

Bring back, transmorg, elixir and potion masters again, bring back goblin or gnome engineering exclusivity, bring back tribal, elemental or dragon scale leatherworking ... make them better and more powerful...

I love professions, but outside of Alchemy all the other professions don't feel to have a need.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    What's the actual difference between a player maintaining profession alts and being able to take as few or as many professions as you like? It's still single-player. People will still want to make money selling stuff.

OK. So you think it's stupid. How RPGish is it the way it currently is?
    Shhhh...don't tell him about FFXIV and their superior profession system. On topic though, more fun stuff but also they need to not be afraid to make players go all around the world for the materials. That and stop iLvl capping everything just to make some players feel better.

I like professions as they are now!

It would also be nice to make gear that isnt already lower item level than it takes to be able to get mats to make the said gear. Its kinda pointless to even make.

ITT: people want gear better than raid gear that they can sit in the city and craft.

Tbc had some great conepts when it came to crafting and professions. Stuff dropped in dungeons and in raids that were needed to complete really expensive crafts.

Then it feels like blizz did a 180 turn on the entire crafting system.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.