Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[TV] When did Simpsons become bad to you?

Simpsons is around 30 years and just done its 30th season.

I sometimes get into moments of rewatching older simpsons episodes time to time, usually between seasons 1-10.

But I just can't get though a single modern simpsons episode, not even modern simpsons treehouse of horror episodes. There just something about the way it looks in current form that matched the shallow, empty writing and tone.

I'm not doing a poll just more a discussion on when you started to just give up on the show, when did you get the most fun out of it.

Someone printed on a twitter post a while ago his feelings of when simpsons decline happened for him.

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/exactly...graphed-596048

I think when it really hit I didn't really like simpsons anymore was after maude flanders death. It wasn't because the character was killed off, but just how the writers handled it, it felt shallow and lacked any of the heart earlier simpsons episodes had, such as the episode where homer waves by to his mom, and sits on the hood of his car contemplating in silence, or barts christmas present to marge. It went from emotional moments like that, to just passing off maudes death with cheap jokes.

Theres also this thing where by in the simpsons trying to compete with family guys popularity, they progressively made homer from a dumb of sometimes understandable loveable moron, into just a complete asshole, or 'jerk ass homer'.

But yeah, I still love early simpsons, I can watch early simpsons episodes and get a kick out of them. But thats all, I've watch a lot of them beyond season 10 but don't want to rewatch them.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I grew up.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

When they stopped weaving the satire carefully into the lifes of the family. Basically when things didn't feel organic anymore, topped by "celebrity of the week" style episodes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't enjoyed an episode of The Simpsons in well over two decades.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I never grew up watching the Simpsons. I've seen a few episodes, but it's not like I watched it in any sort of consistent routine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I haven't enjoyed an episode of The Simpsons in well over two decades.
    that pretty much puts it where i felt the same.

Its really been a slow burn out, but I think everyone who have watched the show for a while has found a stage when they drop off and can't watch anything new.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it was around season 10 that I became less interested in it, which would make sense going by that graph. I watched the movie when it came out and I was bored out of my mind watching it. My sisters liked it, but anytime they put it on, i'd just leave the room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidywoidy View Post
    I think it was around season 10 that I became less interested in it, which would make sense going by that graph. I watched the movie when it came out and I was bored out of my mind watching it. My sisters liked it, but anytime they put it on, i'd just leave the room.
    yeah I don't get that in the graph either, I watched the movie but could only manage it in sections, it had the same crappy writing and 'comedy' the show at the time had, so it wasn't anything fresh, it was just an extra long bad episode.

It started to go down hill when Phil Hartman died and took alot of his wonderful characters with him but the real turning point for me was 'That 90s Show' episode which i found fucking offensive and that was the point i knew they didnt care anymore and for a parody of the 90s which the Simpsons WAS that episode was painfully unfunny.

Iam done with the simpsons and i used to fucking worship that show back in the 90s when it was easily on the best shows on TV

Dunno when it happened. It just stopped being interesting. Stopped watching. This happened, I think, over decade ago.

Frank Grimes episode is when it jumped the shark and Homer became a caricature of himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Frank Grimes episode is when it jumped the shark and Homer became a caricature of himself.
    Some people have said its one of the best episodes for them, but honestly, for me, it was the episode that made me hate homer. I think it had an interesting message in it that some people just don't succeed in life despite what they try, but the way they did it homer was on par with the homer that exists now in modern simpsons, a mindless asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    When I grew up.
    this.
    but actually, being italian, even because the constant replicas on TV channel italia1 for like 20 years bored me to death

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Some people have said its one of the best episodes for them, but honestly, for me, it was the episode that made me hate homer. I think it had an interesting message in it that some people just don't succeed in life despite what they try, but the way they did it homer was on par with the homer that exists now in modern simpsons, a mindless asshole.
    I don't see how unless they were new fans of the show. How does Homer go from having heart attacks from fear and stress he was going to lose his job because Mr. Burns viewed him as an incompetent buffoon to being blatantly irresponsible and untouchable by the same Mr. Burns he feared in earlier seasons? The message was funny, and true, but Homer wasn't the right character to tell it with. Maybe Carl and throw in some affirmative action with Homer still a focus and Frank Grimes' ire but Homer himself fearing being fired, yet maybe recognizing he had some senority.

When Principal Skinner is an impostor happened.

That was their Jumping the Shark moment to me.
    Then they did it again by offing Maude. The Simpsons has struck me as much more propaganda and far less story and clever wit for a loooooong time now.

Wouldn't say it happened "when I grew up though", since I'm here... on a gaming forum... because I enjoy games...

Wait did Bart seriously get a bear

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know...the show with Lady Gaga is probably the last time I actively watched a episode. I've got nothing against lesbians at all for obvious reasons, but felt kinda silly and out of place that Marge suddenly become a sex starved animal after just a kiss from Gaga.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Wait did Bart seriously get a bear

10+ Year Old Account
    Seasons 9-13 had some decent episodes but they got more and more sparse, I'm looking at season 14 and I don't recognize any of them, clearly I had given up by then.
    /s

A little off topic so looking up when Phil Hartman died (he died in 1998) i saw that before he died he was in talks with the Simpsons producers into making a Troy Mcclure film and he was gonna base it on his time in the Betty Ford clinic.

Troy was one of my fave characters and it breaks my heart and makes me pissed that his coke up bitch of a wife shot him and denied us what wouldve been a great film and more of Troy and Lionel Hutz.