Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Florida Secretary of State resigna

The Tallahassee Democrat said it obtained the photos of Ertel, now 49, from 2005 posing in blackface at a gathering a few months after the storm devastated New Orleans. He is pictured wearing lipstick, fake breasts under a blue t-shirt and dangling earrings. The newspaper said the resignation came after it shared the photographs with the office of the governor, who appointed him to the position. The photos were reportedly taken after Ertel had been named Seminole County supervisor of elections.

The news cast a pall on Republican Governor Ron DeSantis’s new administration after a quick start that had begun to win him bipartisan plaudits, including for steps taken on the environment and medical marijuana

Asked if Ertel had anything to say on his own behalf, his office simply confirmed the resignation. He told the Democrat: "There’s nothing I can say."

In its response, the governor’s office enclosed a copy of a two-sentence resignation email that Ertel apparently sent to Governor DeSantis at 1:59 p.m. local time. "I am submitting my resignation as Florida Secretary of State effective immediately. It has been an honor to serve you and the voters of Florida."

The job includes oversight of elections, a critical responsibility in the nation’s largest swing state, where the most recent mid-term voting prompted a massive and closely-scrutinized recount.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-photos-emerge

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Its so strange when there is no barrage of excuses and staunch refusal to admit wrongdoing.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Willfully resigning because of a halloween costume 15 years ago.

America.....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

America.....
    A racist as fuck Halloween costume, yes. Public officials in these kinds of roles can't have that on their record. This isn't McDonald's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A racist as fuck Halloween costume, yes. Public officials in these kinds of roles can't have that on their record. This isn't McDonald's.
    Sure they can.

https://eu.tallahassee.com/story/new...en/2670097002/

And in fact, the government has more limitations on the reasons of who they can fire unlike McDonald's who can fire pretty much anyone for any reason they want, including a blackface.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Sure they can.

And in fact, the government has more limitations on the reasons of who they can fire unlike McDonald's who can fire pretty much anyone for any reason they want, including a blackface.
    They can, but I was more speaking to the fact that they shouldn't be allowed to because it should be viewed as wholly unacceptable in the extreme. There is no place for people who think something as racist as blackface, which has a long and nasty history in US entertainment in particular, is "funny" or acceptable in decades, much less this millennium alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Sure they can.

I am a great deal more sympathetic to dressing as Tiger Woods or a Jamaican Bobsledder then a stereotypical black Katrina victim, in 2005 no less. I usually think these sort of stories are manufactured outrage, but this one can't get a lot more blatant. Fortunately apparently even he realized this wasn't defensible, and went quietly.

15+ Year Old Account
    They can, but I was more speaking to the fact that they shouldn't be allowed to because it should be viewed as wholly unacceptable in the extreme. There is no place for people who think something as racist as blackface, which has a long and nasty history in US entertainment in particular, is "funny" or acceptable in decades, much less this millennium alone.
    In your opinion.

And in my opinion, the man should have just apologized and stuck to his job - unless he was fired. Which brings us back to my original comment about "willfully resigning" being stupid.

Blackface isn't funny, hip or cool. But having a blackface in a halloween party 15 years ago is not something anyone should lose their job or career for.

Blackface isn't funny, hip or cool. But having a blackface in a halloween party 15 years ago is not something anyone should lose their job or career for.
    It's up to individual employers to decide. However in public office, which this is, it shouldn't be acceptable or allowed. If he wants to find a private sector gig where this won't be an issue that's totally fine, but if you're going to be in public office you can't have a past where you've done outrageously racist shit like this.

Again, I'm speaking to how I think things should be, which I thought was abundantly clear, rather than the reality of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your opinion.

And in my opinion, the man should have just apologized and stuck to his job - unless he was fired. Which brings us back to my original comment about "willfully resigning" being stupid.

No in your opinion, because it damn well should. There shouldn't be any tolerance for this kind of bullshit. If this is an elected representative, Al Franken stepped down also because of accusation and a photo and I disagreed with him stepping down, but I am not going to pretend because he's a Democrat that kind of bullshit is in any way acceptable. Even though I felt the woman that came forward was highly suspect.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    In your opinion.

so do you think he would have gotten that office if this was known sooner?

In your opinion.

This has got to be one the absolute stupidest hills any of you dipshit free speech absolutists have ever decided to die on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpling View Post
    This has got to be one the absolute stupidest hills any of you dipshit free speech absolutists have ever decided to die on.
    .....free speech?

.....free speech?
    Which doesn't mean freedom from consequence. He's free to put on blackface any time he wants. And he's also free to see his potential employment opportunities limited because of his personal choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    .....free speech?
    How was his free speech infringed upon?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Which doesn't mean freedom from consequence. He's free to put on blackface any time he wants. And he's also free to see his potential employment opportunities limited because of his personal choices.
    What the hell does this blackface have to do with free speech?

And I'm not a free speech absolutist. I, actually, am against free speech. I much prefer the limitations on speech we have on this side of the pond compared to the spiteful verbal vomit that is allowed over there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    How was his free speech infringed upon?
    My question was exactly "what the fuck does this have to do with free speech?"

America.....
    Quite obviously he was told to resign or face a firing. One way he can get severance/benefits, the other he gets shit-all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Quite obviously he was told to resign or face a firing. One way he can get severance/benefits, the other he gets shit-all.
    And by willfully resigning you waiver your right to said severance/benefits/welfare unless we are talking about golden hand shakes. Which I assume is not the case considering it was a public job?

In your opinion.

Sorry you're gonna have to explain this to me but was Blackface less racist 15 years ago? Having grown up in the 90s and 00s I'm pretty confident it was as racist then as it is now. Or is there a statute of limitations on racism?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Sorry you're gonna have to explain this to me but was Blackface less racist 15 years ago? Having grown up in the 90s and 00s I'm pretty confident it was as racist then as it is now.
    It probably was, but more importantly the wearer of said blackface was 15 years younger.
    Or is there a statute of limitations on racism?
    Actually, considering these forums, there probably is... if you remember the Albert Einstein thread some time ago.