Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Post Why Blizzard should never remove the old Path Finder and Allied Race requirements

This game has big enough of a problem with everything you do feeling pointless.

You get new gear? Cool, but in 3 months when a new "Season" starts your gear is all useless and catch up mechanics will give better gear. This feels HORRIBLE and is, in MY opinion, the worst part about current WoW.

This is the reason people enjoy farming Mounts and Transmog. It feels like an investment. You know that in 3 years you will still have said Mounts and Transmogs.

This is also why so many enjoyed the Mage Tower in Legion. It let you unlock some great Transmogs but also denyed us from just waiting for BfA to get the unlocks ez mode.

The same can currently be said about the Path Finder and Allied Race unlocks. You unlock it and it feels like an investment.

If they just let people get the Path Finder and Allied Races from the previous races the moment a new expansion releases, it completely ruins the sense of investment feeling it gives. Then, suddenly, everyone will question why they bothered spending all that time unlocking flying mount when they could just wait for the next expansion. It will go from feeling like an investment to feeling like a huge waste of time.

Just let the people play the race they want to play. Why continue to force people to continue to jump thru stupid hoops for the sake of time gating and stretching out outdated content.

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    Just let the people play the race they want to play. Why continue to force people to continue to jump thru stupid hoops for the sake of time gating and stretching out outdated content.
    That's fine. If they want the unlock to be easy that's OK. But then it has to be easy for EVERYONE no matter when they do it. 1 week after release or 5 years after release.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind having some connection. If we can just keep Pathfinder to 1 part, as for the allied, I don't mind them being unlocks, as long as Blizzard doesn't announce them until they are ready to be unlocked.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Because its a RPG at the end of it all.... its not an arcade.
    Created on the 25th April 2005.
    Protection Warrior since the old days of UBRS.

P.S. Make a part of your warrior community happy and bring Gladiator Stance back...

b.c. most people don't care about flying in outdated content when a new expac comes out? and most don't want to do old content to play a race they want? Also path finder should DIAF and flying be usable since day 1 on an expac vs coping out like they keep doing (and likely will keep doing)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    snip
    Opening Threads like this on MMO has such a low impact. People have become lazy and happy to get everything free, because they are:
    1. Entitled to get rewards for everything they do in game
    2. They have Jobs you know?

Took me couple of bitter conversations to release that!
    People who got the sense of investment and accomplishment from WoW are now minority.

Example: See post above!
    Last edited by Spichora; 2019-02-05 at 12:55 PM.
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

Pathfinder should only be relevant to current content tbh

It will go from feeling like an investment to feeling like a huge waste of time.
    Did you ever ask yourself why you spend so much acquiring gear when the moment the next expansion is release, it invalidates all your gear in a matter of hours?

It has always been like this. If you value your investment of time, then you have made a bad choice in choosing WoW.

By that logic, let's just give everyone all the mounts in the game immediately and all the gear available in game. After all, why continue to force people jump through hoops for the sake of stretching out that old content?

You want the reward? Do the required content. Laziness should never be rewarded.

The only issue I have with the requirements are that a lot of them are pretty heavily time-gated.

Let's take reputations in BfA as an example. If I remember right, playing through the story will land you somewhere between Friendly and Honored, but let's be generous and say you start at 0/12k Honored. That's still 33k reputation that you have to get to unlock an Allied Race.

There's 6 factions that cycle through their Emissaries, so you're likely to get one for the faction you need every 6 days - i.e. you'll get 250 reputation/day from Emissaries. Doing 8-10 WQ per day will give you 600-750 reputation/day. That's 850-1000 reputation/day. You will also get some from the mission table, so let's assume that you can get about 1000-1200 reputation/day. Now... That's 28-33 days to reach Exalted. You can also get a contract to get like 400-500 extra reputation per day from doing WQs in other zones to cut the time required to like 19-20 days, but that's very time inefficient.

Call me crazy, but I can totally see how a returning player who is for instance excited to play a Kul'tiran Human might be unhappy that he has to go back and do previous expansion's content every day for pretty much a month. It's not that it's a lot of work - it's a lot of waiting. And yes, one could say that we had to go through this wait too, but consider this - this was current content for us and we were doing it as a part of our end-game progression, not just for the reputation. That's a huge difference.

A nice solution to this problem would be to introduce some tabard or whatever that converts all reputation gains from Emissaries and World Quests to a specific faction. That way a returning player would still have to go through the same grind to unlock the Allied Race, but he could do it much faster - i.e. he could just condense it into like 5-7 days of heavy grinding, which would be much more bearable.

This game has big enough of a problem with everything you do feeling pointless.

You get new gear? Cool, but in 3 months when a new "Season" starts your gear is all useless and catch up mechanics will give better gear. This feels HORRIBLE and is, in MY opinion, the worst part about current WoW.

This is the reason people enjoy farming Mounts and Transmog. It feels like an investment. You know that in 3 years you will still have said Mounts and Transmogs.

This is also why so many enjoyed the Mage Tower in Legion. It let you unlock some great Transmogs but also denyed us from just waiting for BfA to get the unlocks ez mode.

The same can currently be said about the Path Finder and Allied Race unlocks. You unlock it and it feels like an investment.

If they just let people get the Path Finder and Allied Races from the previous races the moment a new expansion releases, it completely ruins the sense of investment feeling it gives. Then, suddenly, everyone will question why they bothered spending all that time unlocking flying mount when they could just wait for the next expansion. It will go from feeling like an investment to feeling like a huge waste of time.
    The mage tower suffered from the same shit you hate since it was still available after the tier it was released in. The mage tower should have been only doable during that tier when it was actually a challenge and then after that, too bad. If you suck you don't deserve it, it's really that fucking simple. People need to learn to live with the little bit they can achieve with the little bit of talent they have.

There is no reason to reward mediocrity.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    By that logic, let's just give everyone all the mounts in the game immediately and all the gear available in game. After all, why continue to force people jump through hoops for the sake of stretching out that old content?

You want the reward? Do the required content. Laziness should never be rewarded.
    Equating mounts to flight, roflmao.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

My view;

I am currently working on the Suramar questline to unlock the Nightborne Allied race. I played Legion all 2 years and loved it, but I was in a Raid and M+ guild, and that's pretty much all we did. Once I DING'd 110 in legion, I never stepped foot in Suramar ever again. So I left Legion with only Honored Nightfallen rep, and like 2/11 Suramar chapters done. Now I am Revered and 5/11 Chapters in after playing it seriously this weekend. But hot dang, this is a frigging long as quest chain, Jesus, it must be damn near 200+ quests in total ? And I'm only like half way into it seems ? But it sure helps bringing a level 120 Blood DK i385 there to do this. But still is a long ass trek, not sure how long this will take? Also sucks that I never earned Flying in legion either, just never got around to it, as i was full-time Raiding, now I looked up the achievement, and I have 100% complete in everything for Pathfinder One and Two, to unlock flying, except I am only 55% with Good Suramaritan.

But back to Allied Races, it agree it's cool to have them, and making it extra special if it is long and difficult to unlock them, maybe some players won't put the time in, and that will make these Allied races even more special, like you really earned it and worked hard. Void Elf's were easy as pie to unlock, really no time needed, just get exalted with Argussen Reach or whatever, and that's pretty much it. But the Nightborne, wow, that's a whole different story, and way freaking longer and super time consuming.

But unlocking flying is fucking BS in old expansions. I don't like the Pathfinder crap, and having to wait until a .2 patch to get flying, but whatever, it's not the end of the world. But I do have a huge beef with still requiring Pathfinder for previous outdated expansions. Like me, I never got flying in Legion, and now I have to do all this long drawn out crap to unlock it. I think once a brand new expansion releases, the previous old expansion should just allow flying to be purchased, like it used to be. Like WoD expansion, that one too I never unlocked flying, but I'm supposed to go back to Dreanor and do all that old Pathfinder grind ? F that, not gonna happen. Why not allow a player to purchase flight for a 4 year old expansion ?
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2019-02-05 at 07:15 PM.

Forcing a new player who might want to come to this game to ONLY to play as a Void Elf to go back ot the prior expansion grind out rep and quest on a character they do not want to play is just stupid development.

I could not even remotely imagine how fast WoW would have failed if you had been forced to roll a Human to max level or Orc just to unlock a mage or shaman then have to reroll all the way back to max level.

People who cannot see very clear flaws in these systems are not paying attention.

When the Blood Elf race came out in BC, before I could create one, was I forced to go back to old vanilla content first and do a bunch of unlock rep ? No. Day one of the brand new expansion I could create one right away.

Death Knights released in Wrath, before playing a DK, was I forced to run old content in BC first ? Nope. Day one of the brand new expansion I could create one right away.

Panda's released in MoP, was I forced to do old quests and grind in Cataclysm first, before I was allowed to create a new Panda character ? No. Day one of the brand new expansion I could create one right away.

Demon Hunters were released in Legion, before I could create one, did I have to run old WoD Dreanor stuff first ? No. Day one of the brand new expansion I could create one right away.

So now with BfA, they advertise play with the new Allied races, such as Nightborne and Void Elf's, etc...Oh I know you paid us money for this expansion, but first we need you to go back to an old previous expansion, and play there for several weeks, working on outdated rep grind to unlock these new races first. That's BS

They could solve a lot of issues with rep unlock timegating issues for past expansions by re-implementing the tabard rep system. At friendly, you can purchase the tabard for the reputation you're working on. Then, every mob you kill in ANY dungeon (old or new) while wearing the tabard provides reputation (usually 5-15 rep per mob and maybe 30-50 for bosses). This is how I got Silvermoon reputation on my blood elf (I play alliance primarily and didn't have a horde toon with maxed rep there). Bought the tabard, went to Shadow Labyrinth (BC dungeon) and chain ran it for about 3 hours. Got from friendly to exalted.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    When the Blood Elf race came out in BC, before I could create one, was I forced to go back to old vanilla content first and do a bunch of unlock rep ? No. Day one of the brand new expansion I could create one right away.

Death Knights released in Wrath, before playing a DK, was I forced to run old content in BC first ? Nope. Day one of the brand new expansion I could create one right away.

Panda's released in MoP, was I forced to do old quests and grind in Cataclysm first, before I was allowed to create a new Panda character ? No. Day one of the brand new expansion I could create one right away.

Demon Hunters were released in Legion, before I could create one, did I have to run old WoD Dreanor stuff first ? No. Day one of the brand new expansion I could create one right away.

So now with BfA, they advertise play with the new Allied races, such as Nightborne and Void Elf's, etc...Oh I know you paid us money for this expansion, but first we need you to go back to an old previous expansion, and play there for several weeks, working on outdated rep grind to unlock these new races first. That's BS
    Someone tried to tell me that those were hero classes. I know I am a high elf but Belfs are not a hero class and neither are Pandas. If you had told me I was forced to roll an Orc to max level in TBC then get Exalted with Silvermoon to unlock Belfs I would have never played WoW.

WoW is no longer designed to attract new players. It just is not!

This game has kept all the dumb, tired, and pointless parts of old MMOs and got rid of all the good stuff.

The dev team has one goal now; their manifesto is simple: keep you logging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Someone tried to tell me that those were hero classes. I know I am a high elf but Belfs are not a hero class and neither are Pandas. If you had told me I was forced to roll an Orc to max level in TBC then get Exalted with Silvermoon to unlock Belfs I would have never played WoW.

WoW is no longer designed to attract new players. It just is not!
    Exactly.

If a brand new player is referred to WoW by a friend, and he/she picks up BfA, and they say, oh these Void Elf's look cool, I'll start off playing one of these. Wah wah wah, nope. First you need to run outdated content in an old expansion released 3 years ago, if you want to play a Void Elf. New player, says What? F this game, bye.

New Races only ( not hero classes ) have been released in WoW before. Blood Elf's and Panda's, neither one of those required running old content in previous expansions to grind to be able to unlock them first. They were playable day one.