Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Of course. Just like you keep your car if you bought it with stolen money, you just have to repay the stolen cash when you get caught.

Anything else is dumb. You dont "own" the money you have

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why you can't use a credit card to purchase lottery tickets. At least in my state. Cash only.

Obviously the money SHOULD go to the person whose card was stolen. But then the issue for the lottery commission becomes "well would they have bought those tickets in the first place?"

There is a solution here that involves both getting rewarded. How they would go about finding out how much each gets is beyond me.

I will say this though, there is no solution that involves nobody getting anything. That would be absurd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    You really should read the whole story. Kinda answers your question
    Sarcasm doesn't read well. Of course its a crime. My real question is does Canada not have asset forfeiture? There's no way she'd keep the money in the US whether it was paid out or not because the court would seize whatever she won due to the use of stolen credit cards.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Sarcasm doesn't read well. Of course its a crime. My real question is does Canada not have asset forfeiture? There's no way she'd keep the money in the US whether it was paid out or not because the court would seize whatever she won due to the use of stolen credit cards.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I caught you not reading the OP before commenting.

Asset forfeiture is not relevant...the lottery isn't paying out the ticket.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time I caught you not reading the OP before commenting.

Asset forfeiture is not relevant...the lottery isn't paying out the ticket.
    So they get to benefit from theft and fraud?

I always look at both sides of an argument and can't see a single reason why a thief should keep what they stole.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    So they get to benefit from theft and fraud?
    Nobody is benefiting. The lottery isn't paying out...the prize money will be used for future prizes.
    The Atlantic Lottery Corporation confirmed it was a C$50,000 ($38,000; £29,000) ticket but said that it only pays prizes for lawfully acquired tickets.

"Ultimately, if not paid, this amount will go to Atlantic Lottery's unclaimed prize account and will be used for future prizes," it said in a statement.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I seriously wonder if some/most lotteries are actual scams.
    Just look at the odds.. the large ones here even have public drawings but the system is so overwhelmingly stacked against the participants that rarely anyone wins. Not sure I would count that as a scam, it's more like an obviously bad choice but worth as a gamble to some. My mother played for decades and once won like 8k, that still leaves here with a significant loss overall probably. Not to mention that the jackpot here in Germany is pathetic compared to the ones in the US most of the time.

As for the topic, the money was or will probably be changed back, the transaction is therefore not valid and she did not buy acquire the right to participate in the drawing. So yeah, she should probably not get anything and considering that the cunt is a thief hopefully gets punished instead. I mean if you are dumb enough to use a stolen credit card on a service where you are easily identifyable.. you deserve punishment.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    cash only is a nice sentiment, but not in germany as you are able to be a registered lottery player online you just cannot wave bank notes at them in this scenario, so it is by card
    but of course your lottery winnings will be refused if card company denies payment. and being registered means they know your identity and nobody else can claim the winnings.

Of course she wouln't be allowed to keep them... Like all the people who win money by stealing or anything like that, but in this case, politicians and corporations would be so sad...

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that's what part of being a society is about helping those in need. part of that would be establishing systems to deal with those who have addictive personalities.
    and blocking them from wasting all of their money on gambling is public assistance.

7+ Year Old Account
    If it's anything like in america where the cops like to seize money (civil forfeiture) assuming any substantial amount found say during a traffic stop must be drug money then the local cops would take it and then go on a spending spree.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/asset-seizures-fuel-police-spending/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Factor View Post
    So should the lottery chiefs have refused her win or should she have been able to keep the ticket and cash it in?
    It is my opinion that the winnings should go to the owner of the stolen credit card.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    It is my opinion that the winnings should go to the owner of the stolen credit card.
    Why? Imo it should be handled like any other purchase with stolen credit cards...most of the time, this means that you're not liable for your purchases, because you didn't make the purchase. But you don't get to keep the shit purchased with the stolen card, either.

What should happen is that the money goes back into the lottery pool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should Wells Fargo be allowed to own the loans with the stolen money they have? If Wells Fargo can continue to profit from their theft then I don't see why this woman shouldn't. I'd have no problem arresting her and going after the stolen wallet but she should keep the lottery ticket. I'm not a big fan of the lottery system as it just encourages this kind of behavior as well, meaning the government is also responsible in a way. It's no different than a child stealing their parents credit card to buy useless game crap, except this child is 33 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    The chance of winning anything more than just your expenses is so low that it's not really worth buying it.
    Tell the guys who won that it wasn't worth it
    lol

they should pay out to the owner of the credit card.

I'm not sure how this is a question.

Should I be allowed to live in a mansion that I bought with stolen money?
    Should I be allowed to keep illegal drugs in my house?

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I'm not sure how this is a question.

Should I be allowed to live in a mansion that I bought with stolen money?
    Should I be allowed to keep illegal drugs in my house?
    This. Same thing should apply to lottery winnings. The legitimate credit card holder shouldn't be liable for the cost of the ticket, but nobody (especially the thief) should be getting any lottery payouts from that.

Also, interesting that you can buy lottery tickets with credit cards in Canada. I'm in the southeastern US and have never seen any place that accepts anything other than cash for them.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-02-04 at 03:58 PM.