Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What video game would you say you are best at?

I would say championship manager

Mmorpgs, shooters, survival, racing, strategy, action, adventure, stealth based and turn-based. I suck at sports, fighting, souls-like, mobas, battle royales and anything else skill based or overly competitive.

Baldur's Gate II.

I might unironically be one of the best in the world at it, though of course that's tough to measure. And it's a 20+ year old single player game so who gives a shit :P But it's my jam.

I'm actually confident I could be good at any game if it manages to keep my attention for a few hundred of hours to practice. So far the only games able to do that have been WoW and TF2.

Skyrim and Syndicate Wars.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

I'm known for my Bop-it talent
    "Today and forever I am your better, Arthas." - Illidan Stormrage

The Elder Chicken: Drumrim

Management games. Specifically, ones concerning money or building management. Prison Aritech, Theme Hospital, Sim City, Gal Civ, etc.

I tend to have a highly ordered way of thinking about things and can often see the "big picture" pretty clearly. I play games like Gal Civ at the highest difficulty. I even turn the maps to max size and have all AI against me and can usually win dominantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dota 2 (everything but support, which I suck at), Return to Castle Wolfenstein, WoW, those I'm really good at. Despite being good in arena shooters, I suck ass at counter strike and Valorant. I can still tink tink tink in good ol' Quake 3 clones though.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-04-17 at 07:58 PM.

Most versions of Tekken are probably my best skill games. I'm not world class at any game, but once, in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005, I may have been.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I'm actually confident I could be good at any game if it manages to keep my attention for a few hundred of hours to practice.
    I call that, learning kung-fu. For example, imho, Bob Ross had kung-fu for painting. I'm sure many here have started to feel kung-fu in wow after many attempts, when the muscle memory is doing more than the brain, and approaching/crossing that line where theorycrafting matters more than skill.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-04-18 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Robinson View Post
    FIFA 18 I think
    Well you certainly aren't great at being a subtle advertiser. You people usually give up or move on after you've finished advertising your crap or get caught and banned.

Probably no single game, as I spread my gaming time across too many, and usually get bored if I play one game for too long. That being said, there are some genres I'm generally quite good at: tactical / turn-based RPGs and 4X come to mind, as well as tower defenses. I guess currently I'd be quite good at Bloons TD 6, playing that on and off for a year or so, and maybe still Civ 6. Probably a bit rusty there by now, but before I stopped I usually didn't have issues winning on difficulty 7, sometimes 8 (i.e. Deity).

On the other hand, I suck at more or less everything where you have to be fast (e.g. FPS or fighting games).

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Dota 2 (everything but support, which I suck at)...
    I think DOTA2 is one of the hardest games I ever played. I have tried to get competent at the game but have struggled mightily over the years. I never get it down to a point where I am not utterly crap at it. But most other MOBAs are pretty easy and I can play them pretty well.

I didn't play League before DOTA either despite my avatar photo. Someone made it for me because I look like Vayne apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I think DOTA2 is one of the hardest games I ever played. I have tried to get competent at the game but have struggled mightily over the years. I never get it down to a point where I am not utterly crap at it. But most other MOBAs are pretty easy and I can play them pretty well.

I didn't play League before DOTA either despite my avatar photo. Someone made it for me because I look like Vayne apparently.
    Dota 2 is hands down the most difficult game ever made, and comparing it to other MOBAs is essentially irrelevant. It requires around 2,000 hours to be even remotely competent at. Then another 100-200 hours every few months to learn the ever-changing meta. Then another 500 to really master hard heroes like Invoker, Morphling, Meepo, Earth Spirit etc. It's a gruesome path filled with hardships, but also glory. I found that it's best to play it with friends and evolve with them.

The community is pretty hard to get into, because most people are very impatient to teach new players the ropes, but there are definitely groups out there that can help. But the best way to learn is to play with friends as often as possible.

I don't know any other game that can evoke the magnitude of emotions that Dota 2 does, there is nothing quite like it. From overwhelming defeat and grief you can reach maximum euphoria in a matter of seconds.

For me, this remains the best gaming documentary ever made, and I rewatch it at least twice a year, because it's still utterly unbelievable and inspirational.

Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-04-19 at 07:02 PM.

Area 51 the arcade game. If you're ever wondering who that absolute madlad is with the 999,999 score is. I have NO idea why I am so good at that one game.

I also won a MK9 tournament once, beat some big names as a nobody, but it was a local and nothing fancy.

Currently, Total War: WH 2/3 because that's what I play most these days and I simply lack the constant training and have lost reflexes for competitive FPS by now. Before that WoW up until WoD/Legion for sure, especially raiding. I also used to be very good at CS <1.5/1.6, CS: Source and Q3A when LAN-parties were still a thing...
    Last edited by arcturusm; 2022-04-22 at 02:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I forgot to mention it, but Return to Castle Wolfenstein was my absolute jam for a decade. Best competitive, team-based shooter ever, hands down. It was the football (soccer if you're American) of fps games. Back then only Counter-Strike could rival it, but they were completely different games for different strokes. Wolfenstein is extremely fast paced, with reflexes, hand-eye coordination and quick, priority based thinking being very important. Counter-Strike is much slower, but more methodical and more team-coordinated in comparison.

I still reminisce the golden age of shooters, back before esports was a super big thing with sponsors and money and stuff. Many major esports companies were created within Wolfenstein, as it was an extremely competitive community.

If you guys are interested in the epitome of shooters, it's still great to play to this day. There's maybe a few thousand people still playing it, they are a very nice community where everyone knows each other even in real life in most cases.

I have played a lot of shooters, I doubt we will get anything as magical as this one ever again. The game is 20 years old but still holds quite well, I think:

Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-04-23 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I forgot to mention it, but Return to Castle Wolfenstein was my absolute jam for a decade. Best competitive, team-based shooter ever, hands down. It was the football (soccer if you're American) of fps games. Back then only Counter-Strike could rival it, but they were completely different games for different strokes. Wolfenstein is extremely fast paced, with reflexes, hand-eye coordination and quick, priority based thinking being very important. Counter-Strike is much slower, but more methodical and more team-coordinated in comparison.
    - snipped the rest -
    Naturally, as it's based on Quake 3 engine ("id Tech 3") which was highly optimized for fast-paced, arena-style multiplayer FPS. Movement and gun handling in a lot of Q3A games are simply awesome and feel just right. Another example: SW Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy for one of the best lightsaber fighting in a game.

PvP rankings?
    Only and always....Tekken the fighting game.