Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Quick question - Frost rotation.

If you are casting your frost bolt at 4 icicles and you get upto 5 icicles and you insta cast into frost bolt but then brain freeze procs, would you cancel the frost bolt and cast glacial spikes? Or let the frost bolt finish and then glacial spike into flurry?

10+ Year Old Account
    You never cancel casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnelly88 View Post
    If you are casting your frost bolt at 4 icicles and you get upto 5 icicles and you insta cast into frost bolt but then brain freeze procs, would you cancel the frost bolt and cast glacial spikes? Or let the frost bolt finish and then glacial spike into flurry?
    Yes, you do interrupt the FB cast, but only if you can react in first 0.5seconds of the cast. If you missed that windows finish the frostbolt cast.

I'll take that on board. Thank you chaps.

You don't cancel the frostbolt. You already triggered your GCD by starting the cast, and since frostbolts are so quick it would be a waste to cancel it.
    What the guy above said about the 0.5s window is simply not true.

Youll notice how your dps goes up when you dont cancel any cast

Quote Originally Posted by Gvstoned View Post
    You don't cancel the frostbolt. You already triggered your GCD by starting the cast, and since frostbolts are so quick it would be a waste to cancel it.
    What the guy above said about the 0.5s window is simply not true.
    Ask any DECENT frost mage about it. Ask it on discord, or just check the SimC rotation. Don't split misinformation caused by your lack of knowledge on the topic.

Btw. interupting the cast DOES NOT trigger GCD. Do some tests. Target a dummy, start casting a spell -> interrupt the cast. You will notice that you can use another spell immediately, and you don't have to waiting for GCD.
    Last edited by HCLM; 2018-12-10 at 05:17 PM.

There is one rule to Frost, and it's quite old: ABC (Always Be Casting)
    "Ahhh ahhhhh, ahhh, yeah, ahhhh, YEAH, YEAH, RIGHT THERE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh" Jenna Jameson

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirM View Post
    There is one rule to Frost, and it's quite old: ABC (Always Be Casting)
    ABC rule refers to maximizing your time spend on casting spells instead of simply running around. It does not referat to the situation where interrupting a cast may result in increased dps. FB and GS proc is one of these special cases where you want to interrupt the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by HCLM View Post
    Ask any DECENT frost mage about it. Ask it on discord, or just check the SimC rotation. Don't split misinformation caused by your lack of knowledge on the topic.

Btw. interupting the cast DOES NOT trigger GCD. Do some tests. Target a dummy, start casting a spell -> interrupt the cast. You will notice that you can use another spell immediately, and you don't have to waiting for GCD.
    Heh no idea why I had in my mind that it did, I always spam cast/interrupt frostbolt when I get impatient before boss pulls.
    Either way you still don't interrupt your frostbolt.

Heh no idea why I had in my mind that it did, I always spam cast/interrupt frostbolt when I get impatient before boss pulls.
    Either way you still don't interrupt your frostbolt.
    Looking at your logs it is not the only mistake you do. You also don't cast Ebonbolt on CD which is rather big dps loss.

Looking at your logs it is not the only mistake you do. You also don't cast Ebonbolt on CD which is rather big dps loss.
    Ok but this has nothing to do with the OP. Show me your logs then if you're so great.

Ok but this has nothing to do with the OP. Show me your logs then if you're so great.
    It was only to point out that you are not the best person to take tips from. You won't find any frost logs on me, I am playing Frost only for higher m+, and we don"t log these.

Anyway, according to Sims interrupting FB in first 0.5s to cast GS is a dps gain. If you have any prof proving that it is not, please share it, but if can't then just leave it.
    Last edited by HCLM; 2018-12-11 at 09:42 AM.

You say according to sims but fail to post said sims. And then tell me to post proof. Doesn't make much sense? Plezse show us these sims so we have a definite answer on whether or not we should cancel fb's below 0.5s for a gs.

Deleted
    See whilst I agree you shouldn't cancel casts, I think this one is circumstantial.

For example, if you are in the situation you explained (5 icicles but no BF), and you get the BF proc and start casting FB. I would make my choice on whether to cancel or not based on my stacks of IF.

If Incanters flow is on 3 stacks going down, I would keep casting the frostbolt.

If incanters flow is on 3 stacks going up, I would cancel and cast Glacial.

Simply the damage gained from a 5 stack Glacial far outweighs the damage lost from 1 frostbolt + a 1 stack Glacial.

Does this make sense?

You say according to sims but fail to post said sims. And then tell me to post proof. Doesn't make much sense? Plezse show us these sims so we have a definite answer on whether or not we should cancel fb's below 0.5s for a gs.
    Sim youserlf. Go into spell priority. The 0.5s thing is there, I said it 5 times until now, but reading is hard... Or just use Google. No idea why you are so stubborn. Are you Flat Earth guy maybe?

You can even calculate that by yourself. If you don't interrupt FB you lose 1 Icicle, if this happens 5 times, you will lose one GS and possible Brain Freeze procs. While If you don't interrupt the FB you get total worth of 2,5s of casting frosbolt, it is like 1,5 of FB. Now ask yourself, what is worth more dmg, 1GS or 1.5 FB.
    Last edited by HCLM; 2018-12-11 at 01:14 PM.

Then let's agree to disagree. You still don't show proof. You cancel casts and I won't.

The website I use does not have spell priority.
    Last edited by Gvstoned; 2018-12-11 at 01:53 PM.

Then let's agree to disagree. You still don't show proof. You cancel casts and I won't.

The website I use does not have spell priority.
    Let's agree that you're a moron who can't read. I won't waste any more time on a guy who is using Noxxic, and can't even pull decent dps with 385ilvl.

Keep doing what you're doing, I don't care about you. But do not try to prove your point, or make people to try playing like you. Imagine OP listening to you and then being benched because he can't even do his rotation well. Cheers
    Last edited by HCLM; 2018-12-11 at 02:22 PM.

Let's agree that you're a moron who can't read. I won't waste any more time on a guy who is using Noxxic, and can't even pull decent dps with 385ilvl.

Keep doing what you're doing, I don't care about you. But do not try to prove your point, or make people to try playing like you. Imagine OP listening to you and then being benched because he can't even do his rotation well. Cheers
    Never used Noxxic before, they spread misinformation. It's sad that you have to get triggered like this because you fail to provide proof for your claims. I'm getting consistent 99th percentile logs without cancelling casts so I have no clue what you consider to be 'decent' DPS.
    I'm not trying to prove a point, I have no proof, nor do you. So stop arguing.
    Out of the few people who replied to this thread, you are the only one saying you should cancel, and getting so upset about it when people disagree.
    Post a comparison of 2 sims one with cancelling at 0.5s and one without, or stop crying about my opinion.

PS. Complaining about my DPS while not providing your own logs doesn't really help you.

Cancelling Frostbolt.

To be fair, it's a very small dps increase that you'd probably wont notice. So we usually just say to not cancel.