Does anyone play wow on a macbook?

i have a 2010 Macbook pro that used to run WOW PERFECT back in ... well 2010-2013... now it blows, (obviously the game is a lot more demanding now) and i was wondering if anyone here plays on a newer MacBook pro?

My job is ALL ABOUT APPLE, so i can get any Macbook at 75% off as long as i use it for "company use" aka wow at home

Let me know your thoughts.

Davetron, I play on a 2017 Macbook Pro 13" on low settings. If you are wanting better graphics, you should be sure to get one with a discrete GPU. The 15" Macbook Pro's have them included.

WoW, on a MacBook?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    WoW, in a MacBook?

That's how I feel when I have to play with graphics so low. lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why does everything have to devolve into “well just buy a desktop pc it’s way better duh” when OP very clearly expressed his situation and why he wanted a MacBook? Jesus people. Just answer his question lol.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    I will most likely get an infraction but yes I use a MacBook for gaming.

Seriously though. Don't get a MacBook for gaming. The best MacBook will have a hard time even playing games on low to medium.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WLXMNK..._i=12652269011

this is their best as far I could find and it won't play the game above low to medium
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2018-08-19 at 12:37 AM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    As Cryo said, you're best (and only, really) option for a macbook to play wow decently is a Macbook Pro, starting at $2800. You could get the $2400 version with a 256gb ssd but that seems to be dangerous, considering I don't think it's replaceable or upgradeable.

So, two questions.

1) Does it have to be a macbook? Can you get an iMac or something for home use?

2) Does it have to be a mac? All things considered, even with your price break, you're still going to be dropping about $1000. Is it an option to simply ignore the company discount, and get a $1000 laptop that isn't a mac that is likely to be better, and continue to do your work stuff on your current setup?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Get a external GPU. It won’t be desktop performance but it’ll suffice.

One of our main healers and lead guild officers raided for YEARS on his macbook pro. He had to prop it up on a stand and have a fan blasting it from below and even then it would thermal throttle like crazy while churning out FPS in the teens with dips to single digits all the time. I don't know how he did it and I dont know how he managed to be the go to healer when you needed one for hard raids. Ive fired up wow a couple times on my 2014 macbook pro with intel graphics and it was fine for farming mats or doing auction house stuff. Really though, I think a lot of people play on very low end hardware. Some people dont know what its like to get more than 20fps and since they have never really experienced what its like to always get 60+, they don't know any better.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

thx guys for the input. The main reason i was going to get one is because work pays for 75% of it, ONLY if its apple. That's why i asked haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davetron View Post
    thx guys for the input. The main reason i was going to get one is because work pays for 75% of it, ONLY if its apple. That's why i asked haha.
    I mean, at 75% off, Apple offers a decent value. If you can post some of the specific models you're looking at, we can offer a guidance on which to get.

I had a MacBook pro I used for work and had to use it for the prequests because it's all I had while we were moving. It was playable at mid-low settings at about 30fps and lower when questing at the native resolution, which was pretty high if I recall.

Much much better than the slideshow that was the surface pro 3

15+ Year Old Account
    So you could get a 2018 Macbook Pro for $700?

And yes it will play on Med settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davetron View Post
    I guess the question is, for the purpose intended, does it have to be for work/provided by them?

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    So you could get a 2018 Macbook Pro for $700?
    More like ~1000 after taxes. Whatever discount that get wont cover that, most likely.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Used to play/raid Legion on my 2013 Macbook Pro 13" Surprised it was even playable lol!

You could increase settings for the world (aim for 30ish fps). Textures can be medium/high which helps(no fps performance cost). I used the framerate limiter for 30-40 fps. 60 fps was unrealistic and you need the Macbook to not be super hot for hours on end. I suspect the newer ones should be better. Also the 560 goes a long long way in a game like WOW if oyu are going for the 15"(which also has a better built in intel gpu too).

You should check <snip>
    I'm using it with my macbook 2015... it works well.
    Feel free to use this discount code for your first month <snip>

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2019-01-03 at 03:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have MacBook Pro 2018 15 inch with Radeon 560.

It is fine for WoW, as a matter of fact I was surprised just how fine it is. It's OK really, just set it to "5" setting and maybe scale down a tad and you have 60 FPS just fine in Boralus.

I did not raid with it, but I am pretty sure that it would easily be fine for 5-man stuff and probably raids with some more tweaking.

- - - Updated - - -

Also there are Vega variants of MacBook Pro now, so if you have 75% discount then grab that one nobrainer - Vega MacBook pro will play WoW just fine even on high.