Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Layoffs are always a sad thing. But getting laid off, after your company had a record year must be the worst feeling.

Awesome blizzard well done!

Disgusting company

Quote Originally Posted by Animaneth View Post
    Wrong. Activision was formed as a game developer. Pitfall for Atari 2600. It later mutated to this
    No. Just stop. It's didn't "mutate" at all.

Activison Blizzard is a holding company that owns Activision Publishing, which is the game developer.

Activision Blizzard, or ATVI, who Bobby Kotick runs now, just has "Activision" in the name. That's all.

Activision Publishing is a company ATVI owns. Kotick used to run it, he stepped down when ATVI was formed. They have a new CEO now, that they hired recently from within the company.

Activision Blizzard
    /
    Activision Publishing • Blizzard Entertainment • King Publishing • eSports • Blizzard Television

Understand? I and many of us have to constantly explain this very simple thing. It's tiresome. And it's very tiresome to try and discuss these issues when you don't even have a basic grasp of who the companies involved are.

I should make a simplified graphic, this has to be explained so often.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny how life goes. I have worked in IT for many years and have considered relocating to work for Blizz in the past. But I didn't post to openings there that I was qualified for and took a different path. Today is one of those days where it appears that was the correct choice, because my position would likely have been more in infra/arch than dev, and it sounds like those were the positions that got hit the hardest.

And it should also be a lesson for CEO's underestimating the long-term effects an 8% workforce cut (which was much higher than the 3-5% people were whispering) will have. The quality of talent that will apply to Blizz in the future just went down a couple notches, and there will be plenty of people above and beyond the 8% that were cut that will start looking around at other employers if they haven't already. That's the problem though is that less tangible numbers like that don't show up on CEO spreadsheets. If I'm a qualified person in Southern Cal lf a job I don't think I'd go near Blizz for at least 3-4 years, and even then it's only if some signs of the old Blizz start to come back. But old Blizz feels many many cold miles away at this point...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty disgusting; I'll stop waiting for a good time to come back to WoW. Guarantee that even with a supposed 20% increase in resources, they'll still put out less content at lower quality than their competitors. At least the devs won't have to be so bothered with player feedback now though, since they seem to have hit the CM team pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by VanishingAct View Post
    #LEARNTOMINECOAL AND GOOD RIDDANCE YOU DIVERSITY HIRE TERMITES THAT NEVER CARED ABOUT GAMES OVER YOUR SHIT AGENDAS

Of course they ruined gaming for me so I won't be going back to nublizz games but fuck em and the rest of these termites that have infested the other game studios.
    Get woke go broke etc etc.

RIP real blizzard, you are already missed because you've been long gone
    Well, that was a bullshit post.

Im sure focusing on bringing the girls into a neckbeard-company really affected you

Damn, one would think that someone who has been with Blizzard for 12 years would have some kind of protection from layoffs such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazmosis View Post
    How did Josh Allen survive this purge?
    Cause he is a brown noser. And hates the community that he is supposed to manage. Just like Blizzard.

"World of Warcraft already has a regular cadence of releases and content."

LOOOOOL Have you ever heard such a boldface lie? Feels like we are still waiting on BFA to start.

I liked that CM too... /sigh

Kotick is grossly overpaid. He must have very good friends on the board of directors because he is nowhere close to deserve the $30M+ he is siphoning off the company every year. The best move would be to cut his salary instead of so many employees.
    Last edited by Astator; 2019-02-12 at 11:44 PM.

I can't stand people that say "oh they are after all a company". It's like saying you want to pay more for moldy bread from the market and be like "that's fair" . YOU ARE THE CONSUMER. Do you like getting screwed over?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not Yakmod. T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Layoffs are always a sad thing. But getting laid off, after your company had a record year must be the worst feeling.
    record years do not mean anything about the ability and future earnings of the company.
    they see the writing on the wall and adjust based on it.

What will really get his goat is the fact that they still paid the execs huge bonuses and most likely will this year even after 800 layoffs

10+ Year Old Account
    This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    love to break this to you.

NO-ONE. FUCKING. CARES.

no one cares what a company is supposed to do, no one cares what the investors want, no one fucking gives a shit about the profits.

they want a game, preferably a good one, and if acti/bliz is out of the business of making them then they're quickly going to go out of business altogether.
    because at the end of the day, it's not their choice that determines the profits, it's the customer's.
    both Ea and acti should of learned that lesson this year, guess they'll only learn it when it's pounding into their head at the unemployment line or better yet, the court room.
    AMEN. I can't stand people that defend the company that constantly takes dumps on their customers.

unpopular but realistic take: nothing of importance was lost, these people werent developers and had almost no real effect on the game.

So Starcraft is dead as dicks.

“There are multiple mobile projects underway across Activision Blizzard”

Blizzard this is what a lot of your players do not want. Stop catering to an idiotic market and think more of what YOUR playerbase wants.