Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valehna View Post
    That is the most stupid logic I've heard so far. NO ONE should have to worry about having their career instantly destroyed, because some greedy CEOs decided they wanted bigger bonuses. The fact you compare having job secure to an "adult foster care", shows just what kind of ass you are. I don't believe in karma, but I hope every job you have for the rest of your life ends in you getting laid off just as things start looking up.
    Being laid off does not destroy a career, it impacts it, but most of the people involved will find new jobs. Layoffs suck hard, but they're not always the end of someone's career, especially the younger workers like the ones impacted today, they're all 20's and 30's, they have their whole careers ahead of them, once they work through this and land in new jobs.

Lay offs are a reality. Want to change it? Become a CEO and change the industry from within. Don't do business with corporations that use layoffs to solve financial issues. And understand that no job is guaranteed. Shit happens, sometimes even good companies make mistakes or get impacted by things outside of their control.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    And they promote just esports by hiring 20% more developers company wide?
    He literally just said it's their priority.

- - - Updated - - -

How are the CEO's getting larger bonuses here if they are also hiring 20% more developers? They fired 8% to hire 20% means they are greedy? If those employees had non-essential jobs or jobs that could be done by one there is no reason to keep them around. Bloat is common in companies as they grow. While "adult foster care" is harsh it doesn't mean Activision is greedy, bad, or anything else for doing this.

12% net increase in jobs isn't greed. You are not greedy by increase the amount of payroll.
    20% of 5 is 1.

8% of the company is 800.

There is a reason they used percentages when defining how many developers they're going to hire, because it's not going to be anything close to 800 people.

They fired 800 to hire what? Maybe 50-100 people? That is a net loss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    He literally just said it's their priority.
    What will a developer do to promote esports? They have more then one priority and developing more for their games as a whole is one of them. While it isn't 20% of the entire company it is still a large increase for an entire company to do. This isn't just doubling down on their cash cow but making a commitment to the entire portfolio. Redundant or bloated jobs should not be valued the same as in-demand ones.

While I misspoke with net increase it still isn't greed by any shot to fire someone people to hire others.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    That's a great boot-licking, let's-worship-the-almighty-shareholder, Capitalism Without Oversight mentality.

Are you a CEO? You sound like one. Or a thoroughly hoodwinked American worker.
    I'm not a CEO. I'm not even an American. I am however, very well familiar with the European business bloat and what can only be described as adoption by companies, rather than a normal hiring process.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are the CEO's getting larger bonuses here if they are also hiring 20% more developers? They fired 8% to hire 20% means they are greedy? If those employees had non-essential jobs or jobs that could be done by one there is no reason to keep them around. Bloat is common in companies as they grow. While "adult foster care" is harsh it doesn't mean Activision is greedy, bad, or anything else for doing this.

12% net increase in jobs isn't greed. You are not greedy by increase the amount of payroll.
    Wrong, there isn't a 12% net increase of jobs at all. It was 8% of various positions throughout the WHOLE company. The dev team is a rather small part of the company, so 20% could be maybe a couple dozen new people at most. That, compared to 800... You do the math...

So yes, they are greedy, because they are putting A LOT of money back into their pockets, rather than guaranteeing their hard working employees a secure job.
    Last edited by Synros; 2019-02-13 at 02:08 AM.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    That's a great boot-licking, let's-worship-the-almighty-shareholder, Capitalism Without Oversight mentality.Are you a CEO? You sound like one. Or a thoroughly hoodwinked American worker.
    It is standard practice. Companies lay off workers all the time to reorganize. It sucks. It isn't anything new. The Auto Industry used to have to pay people to sleep and read newspapers because it was in the Union contracts to have X people even if there weren't jobs. As companies grow and change some jobs are no longer needed as others are needed more.

It has nothing to do with capitalism with oversight or boot-licking. It has everything to do with running a business.

- - - Updated - - -

So yes, they are greedy, because they are putting A LOT of money back into their pockets, rather than guaranteeing their hard working employees a secure job.
    So they should keep employees just because they are an employee? Even if their isn't work for them to do? They should pay two people to do the job of one just because? They are not greedy at all. It is a business they are supposed to make money while not wasting money.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    How about we just let you die, because there are about 3,000 people employed by Blizzard.
    Plus thousands more indirectly employed by Blizzard like streamers and content creators on youtube.

rather than guaranteeing their hard working employees a secure job.
    Aaaand this is the mindset I'm talking about. Adult foster care.

Could've at least said I'm sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Aaaand this is the mindset I'm talking about. Adult foster care.
    You probably work at a McDonald's, don't you?...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post
    Could've at least said I'm sorry.
    That would imply having an ounce of regret, which clearly he doesn't.

You probably work at a McDonald's, don't you?...
    No, I'm an engineer. I design automated assembly machines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why release this message? They obviously don't care about those people. Own up to their non-give a fuckitude. Don't bullshit
    us with empty words like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone that was part of the ATVI layoffs worked for Blizzard Entertainment. This is so obvious that I'm embarrassed to bring it up. Some of the ATVI layoffs started yesterday at their headquarters in Santa Monica.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I'm blown away by how low this fucking company has sank in such a short period of time, and how shameless they are about it. I've been unsubbed from WoW since around the beginning of Oct, but I just uninstalled all my games and Bnet launcher. I don't want that filth on my PC any longer.
    But still invested enough to visit fan sites for the game to discuss? Just seems you're regressing a bit on your original commitment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Companies don't typically layoff even dispensable workers amidst record financial success.
    Oh, come on. Lots of companies lay people off in advance of what they are forecasting to be a bad year.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    No, I'm an engineer. I design automated assembly machines.
    I highly doubt that... Otherwise you'd be showing a little more sympathy towards these people, especially considering your job is going to be obsolete within a few years due to robotic automation.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Not everyone that was part of the ATVI layoffs worked for Blizzard Entertainment. This is so obvious that I'm embarrassed to bring it up. Some of the ATVI layoffs started yesterday at their headquarters in Santa Monica.
    Sadly that was 100% missed by a great many.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I'm sure it was difficult for him to fire 800 people and rake in that $$$, what a champ. Get fucked Brack.
    Not as difficult as you might think. Esp. for his personality type.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunaqt View Post
    Sadly that was 100% missed by a great many.
    And quite a bit of that 750 was Destiny support staff that.... is no longer needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Oh, come on. Lots of companies lay people off in advance of what they are forecasting to be a bad year.
    If they were truly concerned about 2019 being a bad year, they wouldn't be tossing around $15 million signing bonuses for Executives...