Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Hogwash, as I stated in the MAGA kid thread is identical to here. Children, by definition, cannot have a brain developed enough to monitor and make changes to their behavior l, they mimic the actions of adults even beyond the date in which their brains become fully developed.
    This isn't really factual. Adolescents' brains are mostly developed with the prefrontal cortex being the last part of the brain to fully develop. As a result adolescents are more likely (but do not always) make more impulsive decisions.

With that said though, the idea that they 'cannot have a brain developed enough to monitor and make changes to their behavior" is ridiculous. By the time someone reaches 15, they have already undergone most of the development related to metacognition and the ability to think in abstraction and are more cognitively similar to fully matured adults than they are to pre-adolescents.

Not a defense, just a statement of fact. Hundreds of years of oppression and socio-economic segregation has perpetuated this. I live in Nashville, I work in these communities, they are isolated and ignored by design. People would rather be coddled by simple hot takes than have a full understanding of these communities.
    And that excuses there actions why?

If you want to be better, not stealing cars and shooting people is a good way to start.

I agree on the point about history and oppression, I grew up in a dirt poor estate in a county so far away and forgotten by London it might as well have been a different country, where all the jobs left for China in the 70s.

Don't Completely buy into the sob story, most of them don't want to be better, and don't want to let others in the community be better.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooti View Post
    It is the parents responsibility to be aware of where their child is, who they are with, and what they are doing.
    Within limits. Successfully raising a child into becoming a well balanced adult requires that parents not be overly controlling and domineering. Children need to be given some room in which to exercise some autonomy without having their parents breathing down their necks. Or are you trying to say that this is how kids should be raised?

Secondly, it's a practical reality of life that a parent cannot be around 100% of the time. This means that there are going to be times when the child is in the care of other people. Parents aren't infallible. Recognising the really bad monsters is basically impossible for the average person, and even hard for a trained professional to spot without some element of luck. And to make matters worse, the type of psychopath that is able to manipulate kids into doing something like this is exactly the same kind of person who will excel at winning parents over.

I mean, it's pretty clear just reading most of the responses here that all you guys who want to cruficy these kids and/or parents are completely ignorant of what such an individual is capable of, and you're all easy targets. The only reason you haven't fallen victim to one is that they're pretty rare so the odds of one picking you out is slim - you have the safety of the herd to protect you.

It isnt an excuse, it's reality. Dont blame me when you cant even work through your own denial by reading a history book.
    you trying to tell me life is shit and humans are shit? you know who you talking too right? Humans are predators Daelak, we will always prey upon those we see as weak.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    That slippery slope you're on sure looks fun lol.
    There is a historical precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Easy there. You have laws, and law enforcement. One shouldn't fight evil with destructive vengeance, simple isolation from society should be enough.
    I only agree because we still have errors and people can be wrongfully accused. Not in this case, but life sentences should stay for benefit of other accused. Otherwise I'd preferer execution. There's no "fixing" those. It is not honest error, it is not even kill in a heat of the moment - it is a cold blooded murder. If they will get released for any reason it'll just cause another murder soon enough. Why good people should die just to make life of shitarded scum more comfortable?
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Red herring alert.

It has nothing to do with the severity of the crime. It has everything to do with the maturity of the child. Please enlighten us as to why the phrase you just used: "tried as an adult" exists if not because children should be tried in a different manner?
    Read the post I replied to before acting like a dip thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    This isn't really factual. Adolescents' brains are mostly developed with the prefrontal cortex being the last part of the brain to fully develop. As a result adolescents are more likely (but do not always) make more impulsive decisions.

With that said though, the idea that they 'cannot have a brain developed enough to monitor and make changes to their behavior" is ridiculous. By the time someone reaches 15, they have already undergone most of the development related to metacognition and the ability to think in abstraction.
    And what is the prefrontal cortex responsible for? And when does it finish developing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pooti View Post
    Or, years of being handed a basic life for free with no incentive given to make a life for themselves that also promotes having a single parent household creates unsupervised low character offspring.
    Basic life for free what the fuck are you talking about? You're literally trying to tell someone who lives and works in the communities you know better?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    because they are 12.

Maybe the 16 year old should be, but def not anyone under 14. The crime isn't nearly harsh enough to warrant it.
    Killing someone isnt a harsh enough crime now? You think cold blooded murder as not a worthy crime?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's all about intent. You can call it an accident when a kid finds a loaded gun in the closet then accidentally shoots someone in the house with it. It's negligent but you'd be hard pressed to find a court which would push premeditation.

This is a whole different ballgame. It doesn't help that they already have a wrap sheet and it takes a lot of steps in order to get to where they found themselves several times over. They put themselves in these positions not through a series of accidents but rather through clear intentions in which there would be a victim in order for them to gain. This is far and away not how people function at these ages and there has to be accountability for such severe actions.

If this is what they are already capable of doing with a clear increase in the severity of their felonies then they are a clear threat to society. The issue is is that prisons in the Western Hemisphere and especially America aren't about rehabilitation but retribution so when they come out of the system they could be much worse.

I really, really doubt it'll push capital punishment though. The prosecutors will dance around it while doing what they can do to push for a maximum adult sentence. One may be seen as a stretch whereas the other is likely unobtainable.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Read the post I replied to before acting like a dip thanks.
    edit: Right. I see what you're saying. Next time though, may I suggest using /s to indicate sarcasm?

PS: I did actually read the comment you replied to (since you quoted it). I guess while trying to keep up with a fast paced thread, my primary focus was trying to follow the argument, not looking for errors in semantics.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2019-02-13 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There is a historical precedent.
    Equating sterilizing 5 people who committed murder to a genocide is a very big leap and you know it.

I did. You're going to have to explain how exactly I am "acting like a dip".

Your statement was logically flawed. I pointed out the logical flaw. Your use of ad hominem as a counter is rather telling.
    My statement was not flawed you are acting like a dip because I asked how much harsher an action would be needed to justify and what that action is since apparently ending a life isn't a harsh enough action.

Quote Originally Posted by NoGodPleaseNo View Post
    And what is the prefrontal cortex responsible for? And when does it finish developing?

At this point I'd like to point out damage to the prefrontal cortex is linked with poor emotional understanding and a significant rise in the risk of crime. There actually was a study done on an island looking at the brain and criminality. They found that the criminals were way more likely to have had damage to their prefrontal cortex. Inhibition and aggressive behavior are what that part of the brain's interest are in so when that is damaged or not fully developed... well.. there can be issues.

this is partly why I am always wary of groups of teens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Equating sterilizing 5 people who committed murder to a genocide is a very big leap and you know it.

Except it isn't a big leap because historically narrow sterilizing lead to widespread sterilization of certain people

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Killing someone isnt a harsh enough crime now? You think cold blooded murder as not a worthy crime?
    Does America promote child soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    No sympathy for murder. I'm with death penalty.
    You want to kill 12 year olds, no sympathy for people who want to kill kids, shall someone put you down?

Irrelevant. How a child is raised doesn't guarantee how that child turns out. Yes, it will have a significant influence, but it guarantees nothing.

As I have already pointed out, children are susceptible to external influences. Unless a parent raises a child in complete isolation from the rest of the world, there are going to be external influences on how the child chooses to behave.

Correct. But again, as I have already said repeatedly, they can be manipulated into doing so by a sufficiently charming person. This is true even if the parents did a great job of parenting. Also, for what it's worth, the sort of psychopath that could manipulate other kids into performing such a heinous crime could almost certainly fool any parent into believing that he's the most responsible, trustworthy and good kid in the world.
    Yes there's external influences and yea they can be manipulated but the parent is still responsible for the child.

If you responsible for anything else and that thing killed some one what would happen?

It's nice that young black people are not responsible for their actions. It's their bad brains, so sayeth Themius.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The 12 year old girl who castrated and killed two boys didn't go on to kill anyone else got help and had grandchildren eventually who surprise surprise didn't become killers.
    Sorry, raw stats on juvenile homicide recidivism called and told me to remind you that "data is not a plural of anecdote".
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by alkhan View Post
    imagine my shock