Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Roberts would be the deciding vote. And he would remember "Separation of Powers"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    16 states have now filed suit against the administration regarding the declaration. Winning.
    Deep State Coup

10+ Year Old Account
    16 states have now filed suit against the administration regarding the declaration. Winning.
    Let me guess; these happen to be the states that are actually net contributors to federal revenue yet for *some reason* are underrepresented federally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by didactic View Post
    let me guess; these happen to be the states that are actually net contributors to federal revenue yet for *some reason* are underrepresented federally.
    california;
    colorado;
    connecticut;
    delaware;
    hawaii;
    illinois;
    maine;
    maryland;
    michigan;
    minnesota;
    nevada;
    new jersey;
    new mexico;
    new york;
    oregon;
    virginia

Most bigly and best administration ever, right?
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I watched about 10 minutes of the speech and I think I lost about 5% of my brain cells.
    Sounds like you are pretty resilient to stupid. Have you perchance worked in customer service?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    From what I saw on tv, there are apparently imminent domain cases still in the courts from the early/mid 2000's when a bill passed to build walls under the Bush administration. So 10-20 years for the actual taking of the land.
    Different jurisdiction, but I've handled cases older than that. Some bloke had a water main laid under his land which came with an injunction on ploughing over it. Twenty-odd years later, his heirs still demand the government buy the entire plot, because apparently protecting a 10' by 100' strip at one end made it worthless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    SCOTUS has been odd lately. They upheld an abortion ban, with Roberts of all people siding with the pro-choice side. Kavanaugh said that Roe has legitimacy in his dissent. Things are fucked up.
    I'm not following SCOTUS as closely as a jurist in the US might, but so far it appears to me that Roberts is a man of the law first and conservative second. (And in this emergency business, those two don't even clash.)

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Sounds like you are pretty resilient to stupid. Have you perchance worked in customer service?

- - - Updated - - -

Different jurisdiction, but I've handled cases older than that. Some bloke had a water main laid under his land which came with an injunction on ploughing over it. Twenty-odd years later, his heirs still demand the government buy the entire plot, because apparently protecting a 10' by 100' strip at one end made it worthless.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not following SCOTUS as closely as a jurist in the US might, but so far it appears to me that Roberts is a man of the law first and conservative second. (And in this emergency business, those two don't even clash.)
    Roberts also wants to avoid a situation where democrats decide to simply expand the bench, and SC cases passing on partisan lines would encourage that, especially given the nature of Gorsuch's stolen seat, and Kavanaughs questionable conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Locklen View Post
    Roberts also wants to avoid a situation where democrats decide to simply expand the bench, and SC cases passing on partisan lines would encourage that, especially given the nature of Gorsuch's stolen seat, and Kavanaughs questionable conduct.
    Well, of course he would. Whatever this court does, for good or bad, will go down in annals as the "Roberts court".

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Agreed. Roberts is not only surprisingly secondly conservative but also (supposedly) very persuasive during in-chambers discussion of cases. I honestly have no idea if SCOTUS will take the "national emergency" case or not (who really does for sure of course?). I hope it gets fast tracked.

This whole thing just smells like another distraction by Cheeto to keep us from seeing all his other illegal shit.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Agreed. Roberts is not only surprisingly secondly conservative but also (supposedly) very persuasive during in-chambers discussion of cases. I honestly have no idea if SCOTUS will take the "national emergency" case or not (who really does for sure of course?). I hope it gets fast tracked.

This whole thing just smells like another distraction by Cheeto to keep us from seeing all his other illegal shit.
    Aren't distractions supposed to.... distract?

Trump's evil "genius" is on the level of "oh hey they're after me for raping that baby, i'll rape this other baby so they won't know where to look!"
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    california;
    colorado;
    connecticut;
    delaware;
    hawaii;
    illinois;
    maine;
    maryland;
    michigan;
    minnesota;
    nevada;
    new jersey;
    new mexico;
    new york;
    oregon;
    virginia
    And this is what happens when my state gets rid of morons like Governor Paul LePage
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    My thoughts:

Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.
    So anybody that supports Trump believes:

Everything Trump does is good

They put "faith" in Trump because they have no self esteem, and feel personally threatened by the world becoming different than what they are used to

Anyone that stands against Trump is bad, but only because Trump supporters cannot understand arguments against Trump; and this is a result of having a simple, tribalistic mindset that is partially or mostly a result of watching right-wing media.

I would think any decision involving three or more choices would be redlining your capacity for intelligent thought, so I'll limit the question to that number.

What do you think is more unconvincing and inane:

A: Parrot plagiarizing any generic left news source\blog etc.

B: Having such a simple mindset that you denote every argument against your "side" as the product of a "simple tribalistic mindset" instilled in weak minded people by the media of the side opposing you.

C: All of the above, also you with extra "dumb" on top, and a side of "all the morons in this thread cheering and quoting you, who are mentally incapable of seeing you posted nothing of value and that you only chose an argument that seems to reinforce what they already believe and are comfortable with."

Plot twist (not) the answer is C.

The United States is filled with so many ignorant clowns that pick political parties like sports teams, and run with whatever play is the easiest, most entertaining, dramatic, and falls closest with whatever they already believe. If they tried thinking about any issues above a small local proposition involving raising a .000001 mil tax for fixing potholes, they'd most likely put their mental back out in an instant.