10+ Year Old Account

This seems on par with the ASJ signing at TE a week ago. The odds of Thomas sticking around seem about as likely as illustrious Patriots Reggie Wayne and Erik Decker before him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post

This seems on par with the ASJ signing at TE a week ago. The odds of Thomas sticking around seem about as likely as illustrious Patriots Reggie Wayne and Erik Decker before him.
    Chin up, maybe he can match the illustrious Ochocinco, you never know.
    /s

Wilson's contract once again shows why Gisele Bundchen is the real NFL mvp.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    What's interesting is that, prior to this deal since we don't know how it will affect things, the Patriots were #1 in the league in QB cap hit this year after the Saints dropped from 1st to 8th with some restructures.

Cowboys were dead last but that window is about to shut with nothing to show for it.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    What's interesting is that, prior to this deal since we don't know how it will affect things, the Patriots were #1 in the league in QB cap hit this year after the Saints dropped from 1st to 8th with some restructures.

Cowboys were dead last but that window is about to shut with nothing to show for it.
    Brady is in the last year of his contract and we have been waiting since the start of the offseason for a move with his contract, but nothing so far. I'm kind of wondering if they are going to let him play out the year with his rather large cap hit, and then do a whole new contract without the burden of several contract restructures bloating his cap number. It also gives them another year to gauge how Brady's body is holding up. I mean, it's not like he would sign anywhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Ciara is no Gisele Bundchen yet, but she's also not exactly poor, compared to some of the QB wives out there. So it's not like Russel Wilson is under all that much pressure to provide for his family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might find out soon if the Pats go after a QB in the draft. So far they've acted like Brady will be playing until the sun burns out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Might find out soon if the Pats go after a QB in the draft. So far they've acted like Brady will be playing until the sun burns out.
    Were that true they would have an extension in place, as we've observed, they do not, and everything looks like he'll be playing out the final year of this deal.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    So far they've acted like Brady will be playing until the sun burns out.
    Errr, did you forget all the Jimmy G. drama? They had a plan in place to replace him as he got old, but then Brady defied aging and kept going and screwed up the succession plan.

If he does play till he's 45, like he's said countless times that he wants to do, then drafting a QB right now would still be pointless, cause that QB would be in his final season of his contract by the time he gets the chance to start. If the Patriots think he will NOT be able to play till he's 45 though, then yeah, it's likely they'll draft a QB.

Thing is, we have Brady perfectly healthy, we have an at least passable option in Brian Hoyer behind him for another year and we already have a developmental QB behind both those guys in former LSU QB Danny Etling. It's not like we NEED a QB. But it's also not like if a good QB comes along that the Patriots say no.

I think it will just depend on how the draft works out. Patriots have a TON of picks with 5 picks in the 2nd and 3rd round, add the last pick in the first round that's always a very tradeable commodity and I kind of think that the Patriots might try to work trades to ensure they end up with an extra first rounder next year in some way. Maybe their first + a 3rd for a mid 2nd rounder and a first next year, something like that.

Mostly cause a QB taken next year would go into his 5th season when Brady allegedly will retire, giving the Patriots at least a full year of a starter before taking the plunge with a big contract. It's the same reason a Josh Rosen trade is not crazy likely for the Patriots, given that he would enter his 5th year of his contract (which is very pricy) when Brady would be turning 45 and entering his proposed last season.

Again, all this depends on if Brady is actually able to play till he's 45 and if the Patriots would actually let him still play till then if he's slipping. But Brady has mostly been a man to keep his promises and do what he sets his mind to, so I think you kind of have to assume he will (barring injury).

- - - Updated - - -

Bears’ TE Zach Miller officially is retiring nearly 18 months after suffering a catastrophic leg injury - Schefter

Given the (barring injury) I just posted for Brady, this is the horror scenario for every football player. Glad the Bears covered for him and that he's able to walk and jog again after some fashion. Hope he has success of the field, cause he certainly deserves it after what he went through. Still one of the most gruesome injuries I've seen happen in sports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many years too late, and after already abandoning all of their fans, the Chargers are going with the powder blue jerseys for their "home" games.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    First of the schedule reveals:

10+ Year Old Account
    Really weird they have out of country divisional games. That would sucking losing your home game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Really weird they have out of country divisional games. That would sucking losing your home game.
    Jaguars signed up for it voluntarily. Their own fault.

- - - Updated - - -

Patriots beat writer reporting that the Patriots will open the season against the Steelers on Sunday Night football week 1.

Patriots hanging banner 6 while hosting the other team with 6 championships, that's pretty cool.

- - - Updated - - -

New England has five primetime games:

- Sept 8 vs Pitt
    -Oct 10 vs Giants (Thursday)
    -Oct 21 at Jets (MNF)
    -Nov. 3 at Baltimore
    -Dec. 1 at Houston

According to Nick Underhill (who's very reliable).

No Chiefs game though...HMMMMMMMMMM

- - - Updated - - -

Tweeted at Underhill and he says Chiefs game will be a late afternoon one (4:25). Curious, curious. Beginning to think that one might be really late in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I have to imagine at this point the Cardinals are saying "2019 First Rounder at minimum."

OR, and I forget which podcast I heard this one on, they're actually trying to trade Kyler Murray. Get a team to think they want Murray so bad that they offer a blockbuster trade to get the Cardinals out of #1. Probably the Raiders.
    That's been mentioned several times on the Around the NFL podcast. I think it could easily be a mix of both situations. If they get a good deal for Rosen then they go for Murray. If they get a really good deal for number 1 they keep Rosen. I could easily see them playing off both sides to see which gives them the best deal. Of course, this assumes that they have a competent GM.

Rosen's value may also increase depending on what happens before the season. It's unfortunate but season ending injuries happen even during pres season training. Just look at the deal for Bradford.

Patriots/Giants primetime. Please stop with the Giants. Good or bad you can count on the NFC East and primetime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, we know the Patriots schedule, which means I can watch the Celtics in peace tonight

Week 01: Sep 08th vs. Steelers (SNF)
    Week 02: Sep 15th @ Dolphins
    Week 03: Sep 22nd vs. Jets
    Week 04: Sep 29th @ Bills
    Week 05: Oct 05th @ Washington
    Week 06: Oct 10th vs Giants 8:25 (Thursday)
    Week 07: Oct 21st @ Jets 8:25 (MNF)
    Week 08: Oct 27th vs Browns 4:25
    Week 09: Nov 03rd @ Baltimore 8:25 (SNF)

week 10: BYE WEEK

Week 11: Nov 17th @ Eagles 4:25
    Week 12: Nov 24th vs Dallas 4:25
    Week 13: Dec 01st @ Houston
    Week 14: Dec 08th vs KC 4:25.
    Week 15: Dec 15th @ Bengals
    Week 16: Dec 22nd Bills
    Week 17: Dec 29th Dolphins

That start with early division games is kinda brutal, can;t have the usual slow start to the season, or we give away games against Division rivals. Especially that week 2 game against the Dolphins, in sweltering Miami is going to be HELL.

On the other hand, closing the season with an away game against the likely not very good Bengals, and home games against the Dolphins and Bills, that's a nice finish. Not super easy, but not crazy hard either. Last few years we had Steelers mixed in those last few games, making it very hard.

We have a basically perfect bye week too AND Patriots get a mini bye week between playing Thursday in week 6 and Monday in week 7.

All in all pretty happy with the schedule.

Of course you're happy, you have 4 primetime games and they cater the schedule to teams like the Patriots. The Bills didn't even have a non-1 PM start last year.

Bills organization is leak-proof, as usual. Only games we know are the games the Pats, Jets, and Browns leaked (weeks 1, 4, 9, 16, 17). Which probably means we share the week 10 bye with the Patriots.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and now the Dolphins leaked Bills at Miami week 7, Miami here week 11.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Of course you're happy, you have 4 primetime games and they cater the schedule to teams like the Patriots. The Bills didn't even have a non-1 PM start last year.

Bills organization is leak-proof, as usual. Only games we know are the games the Pats, Jets, and Browns leaked (weeks 1, 4, 9, 16, 17). Which probably means we share the week 10 bye with the Patriots.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and now the Dolphins leaked Bills at Miami week 7, Miami here week 11.
    Eh, primetime games are a DOWNSIDE for me, living in the EU. Those games START at 2:30 am for me. They always fuck up my sleep schedule. Which means October 10th through Nov 3rd is basically a lost month of sleep for me, by the time I'm somewhat recovered the next game starts.

You being European makes you the outlier. U.S. fans live for primetime games, because that's when everyone sees you, and "everyone seeing you" makes you a FA destination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bears-Lions, Dolphins-Cowboys, Saints-Falcons reported for Thanksgiving - ProFootballTalk

Dolphins-Cowboys might be a good game to have a nap on the couch after too much food, but the other 2 sound like good games.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Bears-Lions, Dolphins-Cowboys, Saints-Falcons reported for Thanksgiving - ProFootballTalk

Dolphins-Cowboys might be a good game to have a nap on the couch after too much food, but the other 2 sound like good games.
    We've been hearing Buffalo-Dallas on Thanksgiving.

Plus, traditionally teams which play on Thanksgiving play at home the week before - Miami is on the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    seahawks get 4 10am starts on the east coast. woo