The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your generic week one overreactions you'll be tired of hearing about by Tuesday.

"Are the Dolphins tanking for 0-16 and Tua?"

"With AB will the Patriots go 19-0?"
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Your generic week one overreactions you'll be tired of hearing about by Tuesday.

"Are the Dolphins tanking for 0-16 and Tua?"

"With AB will the Patriots go 19-0?"
    "Dak Prescott cements his MVP candidacy"

"Can Lamar Jackson break the passing TD record?"

"Kyler Murray shows he's the future of the NFL"

Man..you could do this shit all day. It's kind of fun actually.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    I'm pumped for this season but not quite ready to fix my avatar.
    ...the avatar stays

10+ Year Old Account
    Al Michaels, after Colinsworth tries to argue that the Patriots don't need Antonio Brown: "You know who doesn't need Antonio Brown in New England? Miami, where they play next week."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Al Michaels, after Colinsworth tries to argue that the Patriots don't need Antonio Brown: "You know who doesn't need Antonio Brown in New England? Miami, where they play next week."
    The Pats are gonna break some kinda record next week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    The Pats are gonna break some kinda record next week.
    Not saying we'll lose to Miami, cause that would take a miracle, but the worst 2 games we played last year were against former Patriots related coaches AND we always have trouble in Miami. Would not surprise me if Flores adjusts for the Patriots and plays us tough.

I don't know why everybody seemed to think the Steelers would be fine and carry on as usual. I know the Patriots are great, and I'm sure Pittsburgh will play better in the future, but yeah...
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Just hoping now we get out of this game without injuries, cause the Steelers seem to have thrown the towel in. Play it safe, it's a long season.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Marcus Cannon clutchign his arm. The one area we can't deal with injuries is on the offensive line. This is bad. >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Not saying we'll lose to Miami, cause that would take a miracle, but the worst 2 games we played last year were against former Patriots related coaches AND we always have trouble in Miami. Would not surprise me if Flores adjusts for the Patriots and plays us tough.
    Honestly I get the worry but I don't think these are those Dolphins.

I'd be more concerned about when the Pats are @ the Jets. Gase always knew how to take a game from New England.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry steelers, you'll have a big boost in morale playing against the seahawks next week.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see we had a new entry in "Dumbest False Starts" tonight. Thanks Pittsburgh.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1170916327885664259

What a fuck-y week.

Bills game, I don't know what to make of it. Allen had 273 yards, 63% completion, that's what I want to see all day. Statistically, it was easily his best game.

But four turnovers, yikes. I find it hard to judge turnovers because many times they're so random, but obviously we need to cut down on them. It's even harder deciding who's to blame on a TO, imo. One INT bounced off Beasley's hands when he sat up in the underneath zone, the throw was off, down at his left shin, but he had a chance to make the catch and didn't. I'd like Allen to hit him in the numbers on such an easy underneath route, but usually Beasley makes those catches. The other INT deflected high in the air on a tip at the line - I don't usually put those on QBs, that's fluky. One fumbled snap from under C, the center got bull rushed so it was kind of a bang-bang play, but if you're under center as QB and the ball hits you in the hands, I expect you to have the ball. Mitch Morse (the center) took the blame for it anyways, in his post-game scrum. And on the one sack the Jets got in the game, Allen was barely touched, holding the ball at his hip, and fumbled (though the LT was beat cleanly and it was partially a blind side strip-sack).

Allen played better than Darnold, though. Darnold didn't have a single turnover....but I don't think he completed a pass in the air longer than 10 yards. He had a few 15 yard pitch and catches, that's about it. Missed a couple deep balls (Allen hit his only deep ball for the go ahead TD). And Allen had a 13 point 4th quarter comeback, his 4th 4Q comeback in 12 starts. I don't know if I want to credit the Bills for this win, or the Jets. The Jets getting 6 points (on a pick 6, no less) off 4 turnovers is pathetic - the offense couldn't score at all. And if they had a halfway competent kicker, they still would have won. Their K missed both his kicks - a PAT, and a 45 yard FG. Hit those, and you win by 3 points. And the Jets defense played lights out too, until their star MLB Mosley went out with an injury in the 4th quarter and missed two drives. Those two drives? 80 and 85 yards for the Bills, both TDs. They looked confused and out of sorts with Mosley on the sideline.

But at least our defense is for-fucking-real. We'll see later in the season when we face the Pats in week 4 (and the now resurgent Ravens? What? Please try and repeat, Lamar, against a non-Dolphins team so I can assess correctly). Gave up less than 250 yards of offense, 175 passing, 4 sacks. One turnover, but it doesn't really count, it was the fumble at the end of the game as the Jets tried to lateral it everywhere.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2019-09-09 at 04:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just see Darnold & The Jets with 155 passing yards on 45 plays and yech, I'm glad I didn't watch that.
    /s

I seriously don't think Darnold attempted a pass longer than 7 yards past the line of scrimmage til he was down a point in the 4th quarter.

edit: Even with 13 seconds left from his 30, he threw an 8 yard out to take the clock to 8 seconds. And on the next play he threw maybe a 15 yard inside slant hoping to set up a hook and ladder for the last.......50ish yards for the TD they needed to score because time had run out?

I mean, he even hits 2 20 yard passes and they can at least attempt a FG to win (even though their kicker sucked ass and will be cut tomorrow for missing both his kicks).

10+ Year Old Account
    Best case scenario for me, with all the villainous NFC South rivals losing. On an amusing note the NFC West is undefeated
    /s

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

American Football- what is the strategic value of a punt? I'm confused.

Football noob here, been watching off and on since I was a kid but I never truly tried to understand it until now. I feel like I can't fully appreciate it if I don't understand the strategy and mechanics of the sport.

Let me see if I understand this right. You get four plays to move the ball ten yards. If you can't move it on your third you can either play, punt or I'm guessing try for a FG if you're in a range.

It's the punting part is something I don't get. Why would you punt if you're going to lose the ball anyway? Why not just take a chance and make a play? Using my knowledge of baseball, is it supposed to be more like hitting it into the outfield to make them scramble for the ball and give you more time to run the bases?

Depends on field position, if you havent moved it far and try to make a play on 4th and fail they start where you ended up. This means they could start in field goal range off the bat or even better positioning. If you do not think you have a good shot to make a 1st down you want to move the ball as far from your end zone as possible to make it harder for the other team to score.

Because the opponent is less likely to score when they have more ground to cover after receiving the punt compared to a turnover on downs.

It's more like intentionally walking a batter if there's someone at 2nd, so that a play can be made at any base.

10+ Year Old Account
    A healthy Randall Cobb is a steal. Dallas suddenly has an actually good WR group. Gallup is really nice, Amari of course, and I guess Tavon Austin is also there.If this keeps up, Kellen Moore can have my babies.

Rumor is that several Dolphins players are talking to their agents to get the hell out. Hope one of em is Kenyon Drake, he deserves better.

People forgot Desean Jackson is really good.

What the hell happened to Adam GOATieri?

Is Gardner Minshew actually pretty good, or is KC's defense just that bad?

Gotta love players who can roll with the memes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Bobblehead View Post
    Football noob here, been watching off and on since I was a kid but I never truly tried to understand it until now. I feel like I can't fully appreciate it if I don't understand the strategy and mechanics of the sport.

Let me see if I understand this right. You get four plays to move the ball ten yards. If you can't move it on your third you can either play, punt or I'm guessing try for a FG if you're in a range.

It's the punting part is something I don't get. Why would you punt if you're going to lose the ball anyway? Why not just take a chance and make a play? Using my knowledge of baseball, is it supposed to be more like hitting it into the outfield to make them scramble for the ball and give you more time to run the bases?
    If you have a good punter it can be the difference between giving the ball to the other team 20 yards from scoring or 80 yards. Field position is crucial in depriving the opposition opportunities to score. So its a measured strategy based on how your team's failure to convert could create an immense opportunity for the other team. If your team is far enough downfield then the risk lessens and it becomes more prudent to attempt to convert on 4th down, or if the game is late and you are trailing, turning the ball over would lose the game and so the risk must be taken.
    /s