10+ Year Old Account
    This better mean that when Randy gregry applies for reinstatement, they give it to him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Probably not. Havent seen @Alae on and I simply dont have the time.
    damn that sucks

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    IDK why weed is even on their prohibited drugs list. It offers no performance enhancement, just pain management and a little R&R.
    It probably has to do with how many states weed is not legal in. Letting around 2/3rds of the players use it when the other 1/3rd can't legally use might be hard to convince the league to do.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Turns out they moved the goalposts on the issue, they said a certification would be ok, which this helmet has. Then changed their minds and will test it any way.

Regardless, it's not affecting AB who was at practice today, there was a segment this week where someone was asking the Hard Knocks crew why they didn't cover the helmet story more, turns out that it really isn't a thing at camp, and they're focused on playing football.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cedric Benson has passed away in a motorcycle accident.

Fuck 2222. The most dangerous road in Austin.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently AB missed practice and it sounds like he's one more missed practice from being cut. Or this is all just Hard Knocks drama. Can't really tell with AB and Gruden.

https://twitter.com/MylesASimmons/st...09215835426816
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    Pretty much. I welcome Cowboys fans who think he's a franchise QB. Please sign him for $40 mil a year and remain a joke of a franchise.
    Cowboys fan here, and its not a matter of whether hes worth 40 million or not, its a matter of market value. Once Mahomes gets his monster contract, and sets the new market value, 40 million a year will probably seem more reasonable. I mean, if they end up franchising Dak, that final year will net him 35 million anyways. Also, come on, Dak is a franchise QB, and I only say that because it doesn't take much to be considered a franchise QB imo. In this NFL era you're pretty much paying for stability and availability. Look at Wentz's contract. My dude is getting paid 32 mil a year despite two season ending injuries and a hope that he'll stay healthy and reach his prodigious talent. Jimmy G got 27 mil based on six games. You don't need to of reached these certain milestones to get paid anymore, its essentially "do you not suck, well heres 25-30 million a year." In two years it'll probably be 35-40 million.

If the preseason so far is an indication of how the season is going to go, the only thing worse than Denver's offense is going to be ESPN's MNF coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrotera View Post
    Cowboys fan here, and its not a matter of whether hes worth 40 million or not, its a matter of market value. Once Mahomes gets his monster contract, and sets the new market value, 40 million a year will probably seem more reasonable. I mean, if they end up franchising Dak, that final year will net him 35 million anyways. Also, come on, Dak is a franchise QB, and I only say that because it doesn't take much to be considered a franchise QB imo. In this NFL era you're pretty much paying for stability and availability. Look at Wentz's contract. My dude is getting paid 32 mil a year despite two season ending injuries and a hope that he'll stay healthy and reach his prodigious talent. Jimmy G got 27 mil based on six games. You don't need to of reached these certain milestones to get paid anymore, its essentially "do you not suck, well heres 25-30 million a year." In two years it'll probably be 35-40 million.
    I get the market value argument and having to beat others to market or pay even more, but his market value isn't even close to $40 mil right now. In no circumstance should he be the highest paid QB in the league. He's a franchise QB, albeit a mediocre one. I won't go as far as to say that signing him is the Cowboys resigning themselves to never getting past the divisional round--but it wouldn't be a stretch either.

On the Wentz comparison--can't argue the injury part at all as he's a risk. But the difference there is that, when healthy, Wentz has shown he's an MVP candidate. Dak hasn't shown anything remotely close to that (but has certainly proven to be more reliable than Wentz). With that said, would I scoff at Dak getting paid Wentz money? A little, but I'd get that. That seems to be the tier he's in due to his reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    If the preseason so far is an indication of how the season is going to go, the only thing worse than Denver's offense is going to be ESPN's MNF coverage.
    We've won two preseason games and now everyone thinks we're going at least 10-6, when Vegas has our line at 6 wins. The koolaid is flowing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, reliability (in terms of not getting injured) is not something you should pay someone for, because it's pretty fucking random. Peyton was pretty reliable.....until he got a neck injury, and then he was gone for a whole season. And afterwards he wasn't the same guy.

Meanwhile, Brady tore an achilles, sat a season, and came back right on form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    And afterwards he wasn't the same guy.
    Well... he led the leagues most prolific offense and broke every passing record, but sure.
    /s

I get the market value argument and having to beat others to market or pay even more, but his market value isn't even close to $40 mil right now. In no circumstance should he be the highest paid QB in the league. He's a franchise QB, albeit a mediocre one. I won't go as far as to say that signing him is the Cowboys resigning themselves to never getting past the divisional round--but it wouldn't be a stretch either.
    Honestly, how would that be different from the Romo era, which despite his prodigious offensive numbers and talent, never got us pass the divisional round? Sure, its hard not to scoff at the idea of Dak being the highest paid QB, as momentary as that would be, but its less a matter of him being the highest paid and more of him just being the next guy up. Is he worth 40 million, absolutely debatable, but remember when Stafford was the highest paid player in the league back in 2017, with three playoff one and dones and one Pro Bowl?

On the Wentz comparison--can't argue the injury part at all as he's a risk. But the difference there is that, when healthy, Wentz has shown he's an MVP candidate. Dak hasn't shown anything remotely close to that (but has certainly proven to be more reliable than Wentz). With that said, would I scoff at Dak getting paid Wentz money? A little, but I'd get that. That seems to be the tier he's in due to his reliability.
    Wentz is a hard subject to debate because we should also scoff at the idea of paying a QB 32 million a year, given that his backup has been the reason for the teams postseason success. Wentz has one 14 game MVP season, and two pretty mediocre seasons.To put that into perspective, Derek Carr also had an MVP season before he got injured, so take that into consideration when saying "well at one time he was considered....". At least Dak can say he has three winning seasons, two division titles, two postseason appearances and one playoff win. By that metric, that alone should yield him a bigger pay day than Wentz, despite the eye test telling us that shouldn't be the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Dak. He's done us good and its generally hard to hit on even a average QB, but he's not worth 40 million. A lot of what makes us good is the O line, and Id rather not cheat those guys out. Then you've got to pay Cooper, Zeke (who arguably is just as impactful as Dak), and I'd like to pay Byron. Hitting Dak with 40 million would just be overall harmful to the team imo. Bring it down to Wentz, because thats where I feel he is because Dak may be less talented, but he is by far more durable.

Honestly, how would that be different from the Romo era, which despite his prodigious offensive numbers and talent, never got us pass the divisional round? Sure, its hard not to scoff at the idea of Dak being the highest paid QB, as momentary as that would be, but its less a matter of him being the highest paid and more of him just being the next guy up. Is he worth 40 million, absolutely debatable, but remember when Stafford was the highest paid player in the league back in 2017, with three playoff one and dones and one Pro Bowl?
    Fair enough on the Romo Era. But is that what you want? I'd give a little more love to Romo too--he didn't have the talent that Dak does. I'd actually defend Romo against Dak.

On Stafford--yup, that's a bad contract. I don't think using a mistake to justify another one is the best approach though. I'd argue that Stafford is a better QB than Dak though, as he's shown he can sling it while being the only option on that offense (Calvin Johnson is all he's had), proven by a few 5000+ yard seasons among other things.

Wentz is a hard subject to debate because we should also scoff at the idea of paying a QB 32 million a year, given that his backup has been the reason for the teams postseason success. Wentz has one 14 game MVP season, and two pretty mediocre seasons.To put that into perspective, Derek Carr also had an MVP season before he got injured, so take that into consideration when saying "well at one time he was considered....". At least Dak can say he has three winning seasons, two division titles, two postseason appearances and one playoff win. By that metric, that alone should yield him a bigger pay day than Wentz, despite the eye test telling us that shouldn't be the case.
    2 mediocre seasons is a bit tough on Wentz. He had a rating over 100, threw for 280+ yards a game, completed 70% of his passes last year. They weren't winning and he wasn't making the same dynamic plays as he was in 2017 though so I wouldn't have any issue saying it wasn't an MVP campaign, but mediocre is a bit much.

We could do the hindsight thing all day I suppose (Carr didn't even get an MVP vote though, so I'd disagree on the MVP season, but I know what you're getting at). For every Derek Carr I can name a Drew Brees. But you said it yourself--the eye test is what it is. Us internet warriors can't be the only ones seeing it. With that said--I don't hate Dak or think he's bad, but highest-paid-QB-in-the-NFL money is just too much.
    Last edited by Espo; 2019-08-20 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Patriots released their long time Punter, so if any team needs a good one, he;s right there. Patriots are going with a rookie we drafted in the 5th with a monster leg (and quite a bit of consistency to learn).

Patriots also activated Demaryius Thomas from PUP after his achilles from last season. Not sure if that means he's actually healthy and ready to go or if he's just getting out there to make sure he even makes the roster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I thought we were done pretending Romo was a bad quarterback. I guess I was mistaken.

Drew Lock hurt himself falling down while scrambling and is out about 6 weeks. That and Kevin Hogan being bad at throwing catchable passes might help Brett Rypien's chances to making the team.

I will also never understand why people try to use team success to say if a single player is good. There is not a single QB in the history of the game that could single make the Lions win playoff games. Teams with no running game, bad coaching and usually horrible defenses won't win against better teams.

Also, Tony Romo was a really good QB, those Cowboy teams had a bunch of problems.

Fair enough on the Romo Era. But is that what you want? I'd give a little more love to Romo too--he didn't have the talent that Dak does. I'd actually defend Romo against Dak.

On Stafford--yup, that's a bad contract. I don't think using a mistake to justify another one is the best approach though. I'd argue that Stafford is a better QB than Dak though, as he's shown he can sling it while being the only option on that offense (Calvin Johnson is all he's had), proven by a few 5000+ yard seasons among other things..
    I always find this a very interesting topic to discuss, and everything you are saying is not wrong, but in the spirit of debating like the keyboard warriors that we are....I wish we didn't have to pay Dak 30+ million, it'd be awesome for him to take the the ridiculous hometown discount that Jaylon Smith just took but who can blame him for wanting to get paid like all the other Qb's? Stattford wasn't the only bad contract, Kirk Cousins was arguably just as worse, and I'm not sure if I can justify the Niners giving Jimmy G 27 million based off a handful of games. If you're Dak, and you see everyone else getting paid based off mediocre results, I can't blame him for not wanting to take a penny less than what the market dictates. I understand what you mean by mistake though, I believe it is a mistake to tie up all your cap in just one player but that point transcends just Dak. I believe it was a mistake to pay Rodgers 30 million, like it was probably a mistake to pay Matt Ryan, Flacco, Wilson, etc etc. Actually, look at Russel Wilson, arguably the most deserving of the bunch to get all the monies, his big ass contract began the downfall of the Seahawk dynasty. More to the point, Rodgers getting paid all that money has pretty much wrecked the Packers ability to round out there roster with actual good players. But such is life for NFL teams. You can't escape paying a QB, unless you're Tom Brady and you're married to a supermodel (which btw, the Patriots rarely utilized the hometown discount Brady provided them). Also, I love me some Romo, and wished he had been given this current iteration of the Cowboys.

In regards to Stafford, I'd say he's a better thrower of the ball than Dak, not necessarily a better QB. Ironically enough, Stafford is similarly an enigma when it comes to the QB position, he's had some God tier prolific passing seasons, but is always considered a C tier QB that will maybe lead a fringe playoff team to a first round and out. He's experienced nowhere near the success that Dak has, even when give how short Daks career has been.

2 mediocre seasons is a bit tough on Wentz. He had a rating over 100, threw for 280+ yards a game, completed 70% of his passes last year. They weren't winning and he wasn't making the same dynamic plays as he was in 2017 though so I wouldn't have any issue saying it wasn't an MVP campaign, but mediocre is a bit much.
    It's funny how this is essentially the inverse of Dak. He had a really mediocre season stats wise, but was a motherfucking baller in terms of team success, leading his team out of a 3-5 hole and beating the Eagles twice. So basically how does one define mediocrity or average? Is it Dak, because he can't seem to put up prodigious numbers during an offense friendly era or Wentz, who despite his ridiculous numbers, has been meh record wise as a starter (and were not even going into the whole Foles-Wentz thing)

Anyways, hopefully they can get Dak at the Wentz level of money, but if the Cowboys continue to wait longer they may end up having to pay him close to or at 40 million. But even when they inevitably tie up their cap on Dak, Will Mclay has been a motherfucking savant when it comes to drafting so there's hope they can keep hitting on players through the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Oh, I thought we were done pretending Romo was a bad quarterback. I guess I was mistaken.
    I hope I didn't suggest that Romo was a bad quarterback. I adored Romo, and spent most of that era defending him. He was a monster who carried terrible Cowboy teams and never got to enjoy the fruits of his labor because his body betrayed him (the body that he gave up to carry those sorry teams).
    Last edited by Agrotera; 2019-08-21 at 09:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I pitched a fit last time this thread veered into XFL territory but... one of the teams is called the "BattleHawks" -what the fuck is that?
    /s