Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    If you encounter someone who panics over it just tell them 'This disease has been around for 30 years in hunted populations of deer and not a single case of a human contracting it is known.'
    "Yeah, the deers didn't let a single human corpse, they were entirely DEVOURED §"

"HAAAAAAAAA !!" *panic* *run away randomly*

10+ Year Old Account
    Or, you know, its made up by people who think hunting deer is a stupid and barbaric sport justified by gun enthusiasts?

Hunt deer's, fine, but accept your a piece of shit for doing it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I'm sure there's no actual Zombie Deer Disease and the answer here is, the story itself, just like the title of your thread is just clickbait.
    Actually there is just not in the classic eating brains zombie disease.. It is called CWD or Chronic Wasting Disease or "zombie dear disease" the reason it is called that is that the infected animal looks emaciated from forgetting to eat, excessive drooling and stumbles around..

The main concern now is possible transmission to humans via consumption of infected meat..

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world...ans/1792050995

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Or, you know, its made up by people who think hunting deer is a stupid and barbaric sport justified by gun enthusiasts?

Well, sometimes it's necessary since predators have been exterminated before.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    It’s hunting season and there’s this new panic about called zombie deer disease. I want to know why every year these new diseases that have never been heard of just suddenly surface and break news headlines with such vague information about the disease. Call me wrong but I think they make these things to cause widespread panic and for money of the media. There’s also the potential story brewing fit for an ‘experienced’ hunter to get bit and die from the disease. Once this happens everyone will go batshit like they did with ebola.
    You could have took 2 seconds to google and realized they are just talking about CWD.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you are a vegan. If you eat any kind of meat you're sounding like a huge hypocrite atm.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Actually there is just not in the classic eating brains zombie disease.. It is called CWD or Chronic Wasting Disease or "zombie dear disease" the reason it is called that is that the infected animal looks emaciated from forgetting to eat, excessive drooling and stumbles around..

The main concern now is possible transmission to humans via consumption of infected meat..

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world...ans/1792050995
    Which hasn't happened once in 30 years of documentation of the disease and it being present in activly hunted populations of deer. While the possibility of infection through consumption cannot be ruled out for now, it is relativly unlikely. I you want to make sure: Don't shoot obviously inflicted animals, wear gloves when handling raw meat, don't consume the brain, or if you want to make absolutly certain, have your kill checked for the disease.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post

I hope you are a vegan. If you eat any kind of meat you're sounding like a huge hypocrite atm.
    thats a poor attempt at trying to justify shooting wild animals.

People should buy their meat at the grocery store where its made there and no animals were harmed.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Which hasn't happened once in 30 years of documentation of the disease and it being present in activly hunted populations of deer. While the possibility of infection through consumption cannot be ruled out for now, it is relativly unlikely. I you want to make sure: Don't shoot obviously inflicted animals, wear gloves when handling raw meat, don't consume the brain, or if you want to make absolutly certain, have your kill checked for the disease.
    Yes take precautions when hunting most certainly, but on the consumption front remember back in 1993 when there was that Mad Cow Disease outbreak in the UK.. Known as Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy or BSE, what is interesting is that BSE and CWD are similar in that they both attack the animals brain causing similar damage to the animals brain..

Now with the BSE outbreak many years ago, it was supposed that there was cross species transference to humans when variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) cropped up not long after.. So if it happened then with cows with BSE, then the possibility of something similar happening with deer and CWD is a possibility..

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/02/h...cts/index.html

- - - Updated - - -

Do you eat meat? If so then what you are doing by eating meat is not that much different to someone who goes out hunting for meat..

10+ Year Old Account

Do you eat meat? If so then what you are doing by eating meat is not that much different to someone who goes out hunting for meat..
    I'll give you this, if someone goes hunting for meat, I have no problem with that, if hunting for meat or fur if needed for survival, then fine, I absolutely have no problem with that.

But just like these rich cunts who go hunting lions in africa (some who have been killed by lions thank fuck), I am disgusted at people hunting deer, or any animal, for sport.

Yes take precautions when hunting most certainly, but on the consumption front remember back in 1993 when there was that Mad Cow Disease outbreak in the UK.. Known as Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy or BSE, what is interesting is that BSE and CWD are similar in that they both attack the animals brain causing similar damage to the animals brain..

Now with the BSE outbreak many years ago, it was supposed that there was cross species transference to humans when variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) cropped up not long after.. So if it happened then with cows with BSE, then the possibility of something similar happening with deer and CWD is a possibility..

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/02/h...cts/index.html
    Creutzfeld-Jacob has been diagnosed since the early 20th century, long befor the BSE 'scare' from the UK. What did happen is a new variation of the disease showing up, and there are cases of people almost certainly being infected because they consumed spoiled meat from infected livestock. Opposed to this, there is not a single case of a human getting sick, even though CWD has been proven to infect Northamerican wildlife for over three decades. I'd like to add that only about 40% of the european population are even succeptible to this particular strain of CJD. I don't know the numbers for the US, but seing how the 'immunity' came from diverstiry due ti intermingling races of humans I'd expect the rate in the US to be the same.

Also, this isn't a viral or bacterial disease. It doesn't mutate, like for example strains of the flu do. It is caused by 'faulty' proteins. Either it can cause harm to humans when consumed, or it cannot. Since we'd need human experimentation, which is illegal, to make sure, it cannot be ruled out. It is unlikely, though. If you take a few simple precautions when handling potentially infected meat, you're good. If you want to be sure, of course, either have your kill tested, or don't eat game.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Creutzfeld-Jacob has been diagnosed since the early 20th century, long befor the BSE 'scare' from the UK. What did happen is a new variation of the disease showing up, and there are cases of people almost certainly being infected because they consumed spoiled meat from infected livestock. Opposed to this, there is not a single case of a human getting sick, even though CWD has been proven to infect Northamerican wildlife for over three decades. I'd like to add that only about 40% of the european population are even succeptible to this particular strain of CJD. I don't know the numbers for the US, but seing how the 'immunity' came from diverstiry due ti intermingling races of humans I'd expect the rate in the US to be the same.

Also, this isn't a viral or bacterial disease. It doesn't mutate, like for example strains of the flu do. It is caused by 'faulty' proteins. Either it can cause harm to humans when consumed, or it cannot. Since we'd need human experimentation, which is illegal, to make sure, it cannot be ruled out. It is unlikely, though. If you take a few simple precautions when handling potentially infected meat, you're good. If you want to be sure, of course, either have your kill tested, or don't eat game.
    Ahh k I stand corrected on all what was in my post, and thought CJD was a relatively new disease..

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give you this, if someone goes hunting for meat, I have no problem with that, if hunting for meat or fur if needed for survival, then fine, I absolutely have no problem with that.

But just like these rich cunts who go hunting lions in africa (some who have been killed by lions thank fuck), I am disgusted at people hunting deer, or any animal, for sport.
    Agree hunting just for the hell of it is disgusting, many a species has been wiped out because of it..

Like a few have said its clickbait, I have seen worse, what the fuck is a 'zombie knife'

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Says the person that can't accept they are still killing an animal. Slaughter houses and farm raised animals are more cruel than shooting a deer.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    It’s hunting season and there’s this new panic about called zombie deer disease. I want to know why every year these new diseases that have never been heard of just suddenly surface and break news headlines with such vague information about the disease. Call me wrong but I think they make these things to cause widespread panic and for money of the media. There’s also the potential story brewing fit for an ‘experienced’ hunter to get bit and die from the disease. Once this happens everyone will go batshit like they did with ebola.
    What you are referring to is called Chronic Wasting Disease, its a very big issue in Wisconsin I know from what some friends have told me. We have not had a lot of issues with it here in MN, but Im sure it is coming. We have noticed a very large amount of Mange and other Defects in the Coyotes we have shot this year.

Ahh k I stand corrected on all what was in my post, and thought CJD was a relatively new disease..
    New is relative. Everything you said is correct, btw. Consumption of infected beef did cause a new strain of CJD to emerge, and several people did die from it. The sickness probably existed for quiet some time, but the knowledge to properly identify and explain it are relativly new.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    What you are referring to is called Chronic Wasting Disease, its a very big issue in Wisconsin I know from what some friends have told me. We have not had a lot of issues with it here in MN, but Im sure it is coming. We have noticed a very large amount of Mange and other Defects in the Coyotes we have shot this year.
    Mange and CWD are completly unrelated. Mange is caused by parasites, CED is caused by faulty proteins.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree hunting just for the hell of it is disgusting, many a species has been wiped out because of it..
    You do understand that without hunting there would be rampant overpopulation of certain species which would cause the entire eco-system to collapse? Also hunter's are responsible for more contribution to conservation efforts than anyone else. I know I spend roughly about $500.00 or more a year on different licenses and permits to hunt all of which goes back towards conservation efforts. People always want to paint hunters as these evil people, but in reality we are the only ones that actually contribute to conservation efforts.

You do understand that without hunting there would be rampant overpopulation of certain species which would cause the entire eco-system to collapse? Also hunter's are responsible for more contribution to conservation efforts than anyone else. I know I spend roughly about $500.00 or more a year on different licenses and permits to hunt all of which goes back towards conservation efforts. People always want to paint hunters as these evil people, but in reality we are the only ones that actually contribute to conservation efforts.
    A good part of said potential collapse is also due to mankind altering ecosystems indiscriminatly and driving predators out of areas, or killing them off. Wildlife did rather well for itself for a long time befor we had hunters to cull populations. That being said, what you say is correct, in lack of natural polulation controls, hunting to cull populations is necessary in some areas. I only have issue with people hunting endangered animals for fun. If you like to shoot what you eat, be my guest.

Nothing would collapse, stop believing hunters are the saviors of mankind.

The situation would likely go batshit crazy for a few years, then it would stabilize itself, you know, as it has done during the million of years before hunting was ever a thing

New is relative. Everything you said is correct, btw. Consumption of infected beef did cause a new strain of CJD to emerge, and several people did die from it. The sickness probably existed for quiet some time, but the knowledge to properly identify and explain it are relativly new.

- - - Updated - - -

Mange and CWD are completly unrelated. Mange is caused by parasites, CED is caused by faulty proteins.
    I never said they were related, just saying we have seen some disease in a lot of the stuff we have harvested this year.

- - - Updated - - -

A good part of said potential collapse is also due to mankind altering ecosystems indiscriminatly and driving predators out of areas, or killing them off. Wildlife did rather well for itself for a long time befor we had hunters to cull populations. That being said, what you say is correct, in lack of natural polulation controls, hunting to cull populations is necessary in some areas. I only have issue with people hunting endangered animals for fun. If you like to shoot what you eat, be my guest.
    I mean there is no season on Coyotes here in MN because they are extremely over populated and are a huge issue, mainly because for some weird reason we protect the invasive species that is Phesants and they drew the Coyote population further and further south. We sell the pelts every year to a fur trader, basically pays for the fuel and ammo from the season. We only hunt them in the Winter months actively, may see them in the summer, but they are much easier to stockpile the pelts in the winter.