Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Can't we just please have the old gem and enchant system back?

I know Blizzard are hell bent on creating the most boring and bland gearing experience with no customization at all but if they could just give us this one...

Gems and non generic enchants (for multiple gear slots) might not have been the most revolutionary RPG elements but at least it was something.

If they need to bring back some of the old stats so be it. Main stat/vers/mastery/crit is in essence just +power for the most part anyway, the only interesting stat we have left is haste. Bring back some defensive stats, some healing ones, some caster ones and some melee ones. Some stats that isn't just "you do more damage".

fun is not allowed #blizzard

List of stuff we need back.

Gems. And I mean stat ones and Meta ones.
    Enchants. Leg Armor/Spellthread type stuff was awesome.
    More stats. Hell I'd actually take Hit and Expertise back. Dodge and Parry need to be a thing for tanks again on gear.
    Item Upgrades. Fuck all was wrong with it. And if anything the only reason it isn't in now is because of the RNG slot game fiasco known as "titanforging".
    Gear through vendors. And no not that Titan Residuum crap or "relinquished" nonsense. Bring back Justice and Valor points and update them over the course of the expansion.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-02-21 at 11:05 PM.

i'd love to have the old gems back, at the very least.

such a shit system now.

It's funny because gems/sockets now are just part of this RNG shitshow. It's a layer of RNG on gear when it used to be a sure thing on gear.

It's pathetic really.

They won't ever go back to the more friendly systems sadly @Embriel. Because they know the current ones in place will keep people hooked and throwing money at them for the monthly sub.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think enchants should be like DK runeforging. And weapon enchants should be things like fireball procs, or mini chain lightning. I think there should also be added enchants for non-combat RPG bonuses. For example, +10% exp from beasts, +5% gold from looting, +10% mount speed while on a horse or racial mount. Things with little gameplay effect but a cool sense of personality.

As for gems, we just need more imo. Not sure how else they should be developed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Hell I'd actually take Hit and Expertise back.
    I wouldn't go as far as to bring back expertise. Hit was fine, having to juggle two different stats that you needed to cap that essentially was just two sides of the same coin was pretty annoying.

Getting hit/defense-capped used to be a major achievement in the early days. When you could start replacing your hit gems and enchants with something else also felt great!

Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    fun is not allowed #blizzard
    Bastards!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Belt buckles anyone? Gem slot for your belt helps with professions too.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i'd love to have the old gems back, at the very least.

such a shit system now.
    God no, that's one of the few things that blizz made a good call on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    I think enchants should be like DK runeforging. And weapon enchants should be things like fireball procs, or mini chain lightning. I think there should also be added enchants for non-combat RPG bonuses. For example, +10% exp from beasts, +5% gold from looting, +10% mount speed while on a horse or racial mount. Things with little gameplay effect but a cool sense of personality.

As for gems, we just need more imo. Not sure how else they should be developed.
    They literally had a system in TBC, Wrath, Cata and MoP that worked fine.

They just gutted said system and made sockets RNG because that's what they've done to anything loot related. RNG with a layer of RNG with maybe another layer on so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelyn View Post
    Belt buckles anyone? Gem slot for your belt helps with professions too.
    Oooh yes those were amazing! And the bonus gem slots you got from...blacksmithing?? Amazing stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I know Blizzard are hell bent on creating the most boring and bland gearing experience with no customization at all but if they could just give us this one...

Gems and non generic enchants (for multiple gear slots) might not have been the most revolutionary RPG elements but at least it was something.

If they need to bring back some of the old stats so be it. Main stat/vers/mastery/crit is in essence just +power for the most part anyway, the only interesting stat we have left is haste. Bring back some defensive stats, some healing ones, some caster ones and some melee ones. Some stats that isn't just "you do more damage".
    What will you then do about all the people who cry about class tuning / balancing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    What will you then do about all the people who cry about class tuning / balancing?
    Wait, you think classes are balanced now??

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    God no, that's one of the few things that blizz made a good call on.
    Yeah it's so much more fun hoping a fucking socket rolls than getting the piece and having fun throwing in 2 Reds and a Blue/Purple for a nice bonus....

I totally love choice being taken away from me in return for "HEY LISTEN HERE YOU MAY GET A SOCKET YOU MAY NOT, HAVE FUN LOSER".

Sorry but no. The old gem system completely outshines the current one. It's not RNG based, it gave you a small bonus for putting the right gems in and still let you choose between that bonus or focusing on the better stats and the Meta gems were fucking beautiful. There is no subjectivity about it. The older gem system was objectively better because it gave something new in terms of customisation of gear.

How can you sit there and say the choice being taken away from us is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post

Because putting more gems and enchants onto your gear makes it more fun? Fights are just gonna be balanced around having fully enchanted and gemmed gear, so not enchanting and gemming is just putting you at a bigger disadvantage. You are just begging for Blizzard to force you to jump through more hoops in order to get the same gaming experience you are already getting. As far as I am concerned they can take the whole enchanting and jewelcrafting professions out of the game. Nothing would change. The same goes for most other professions. Only one that still serves a purpose is inscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Because putting more gems and enchants onto your gear makes it more fun? Fights are just gonna be balanced around having fully enchanted and gemmed gear, so not enchanting and gemming is just putting you at a bigger disadvantage. You are just begging for Blizzard to force you to jump through more hoops in order to get the same gaming experience you are already getting. As far as I am concerned they can take the whole enchanting and jewelcrafting professions out of the game. Nothing would change. The same goes for most other profession. Only one that still serves a purpose is inscription.
    I mean if you aren't willing to setup your character the best you can for a raid then you shouldn't be in a raid. Period.

And LFR exists for those kinds of people.

Also same experience? Being at the mercy of RNG on sockets over gear having guaranteed sockets for me to play with is somehow the same experience? No it's objectively a worse experience. Don't pretend otherwise. Anyone who can sit there and say being at the mercy of RNG with shit like Titanforging and sockets when sockets were a guaranteed thing on gear in the past imo is drinking some pretty strong Kool-Aid.

And please crafting the gems was piss easy. Most of the time the prices tanked or stabilised to a fair price once the market had sorted itself out for the current expansion as well.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-02-21 at 11:16 PM.

Yeah it's so much more fun hoping a fucking socket rolls than getting the piece and having fun throwing in 2 Reds and a Blue/Purple for a nice bonus....

I totally love choice being taken away from me in return for "HEY LISTEN HERE YOU MAY GET A SOCKET YOU MAY NOT, HAVE FUN LOSER".

Sorry but no. The old gem system completely outshines the current one. It's not RNG based, it gave you a small bonus for putting the right gems in and still let you choose between that bonus or focusing on the better stats and the Meta gems were fucking beautiful. There is no subjectivity about it. The older gem system was objectively better because it gave something new in terms of customisation of gear.

How can you sit there and say the choice being taken away from us is a good thing?
    Tagged the wrong person, meant to tag your comment on hit and expertise. I don't mind gems at all.

Don't be sassy
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

I mean if you aren't willing to setup your character the best you can for a raid then you shouldn't be in a raid. Period.

Also same experience? Being at the mercy of RNG on sockets over gear having guaranteed sockets for me to play with is somehow the same experience? No it's objectively a worse experience. Don't pretend otherwise.
    1) Yeah and I'm only doing LFR, so what is your point?
    2) I've raided heroic 25 man in Wrath. Didn't make enchanting or gemming more fun. You are saying "if you aren't willing to". Being willing to or not was never the topic of discussion. It was whether it's more fun to have to enchant and gem more pieces of gear. And it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Tagged the wrong person, meant to tag your comment on hit and expertise. I don't mind gems at all.

Don't be sassy
    Ok maybe I was a bit over the top with Hit and Expertise. But it's boring as hell with like 4 stats.

Also same experience? Being at the mercy of RNG on sockets over gear having guaranteed sockets for me to play with is somehow the same experience? No it's objectively a worse experience. Don't pretend otherwise. Anyone who can sit there and say being at the mercy of RNG with shit like Titanforging and sockets when sockets were a guaranteed thing on gear in the past imo is drinking some pretty strong Kool-Aid.

And please crafting the gems was piss easy. Most of the time the prices tanked or stabilised to a fair price once the market had sorted itself out for the current expansion as well.
    Also the effects of meta gems were actually genuinely enjoyable,on top of feeling like an accomplishment to fill the requirement for a specific meta gem