Question about the new PvP scaling

I've done quite a bit of reading about this subject and I'm aware that no one really knows the actual info. That said, the info I'm looking for is merely anecdotal. For instance, what are your experiences fighting in BGs and arena with a full set of high item level PvP gear when fighting those of not necessarily low item level PvP gear but on the lower end (entry level PvP gear you can get doing unrated BGs, etc)? I keep hearing conflicting info but someone a Reddit post stated that it's still the same Legion item level changes such as 1% stat increase per 10 item levels but secondary stats such as crit now gives players an advantage? Any truth behind this?

Edit: basically what I want to know is... simply put... is the PvP in this expansion more of an equal playing field than Legion, less, or about the same?

Thanks in advance!

It's less equal.
    Stat templates homogenized the frack out of PvP in Legion, plus they had disabled trinkets and such. A fresh 120 now will feel weaker than a fresh 120 back then, although it's still alright. You'll gear up to acceptable levels really quickly.

Basically it looks at the ilvl in your bags (so not equipped ilvl, but max ilvl), and scales you accordingly. A fresh 120 will still be functional and will be able to outskill and beat a backpeddling heroic raider without too much of a problem, but assuming equal skill someone who is gearing smartly at a high ilvl (azerite traits, enchants, correct secondary stats, good trinkets etc) will have a big and insurmountable advantage over the undergeared person in random unoptimized gear.

This is the best explanation I could find on how it works.

Around 7m20s into it. Your damage is converted to a % of opponents life---so your opponent is scaled up defensively. However, offensively you do better damage based on better gear with more frequent crits (higher crit rating), more attacks (higher haste rating), etc. The video explains it better.

Last edited by warlockiii; 2019-02-25 at 08:26 AM.