Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I fall asleep effectively instantly. I lead a very low stress life though, to my detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by vilememory View Post
    Hours, sometimes not at all. Just laying in bed too exhausted to sleep.
    Yeah, there with you, been this way since I was a little kid.

Things I have tried with little/no effect (they work on the good nights, but on the bad nights...):
    - reading
    - regulated breathing/meditation/apps which assist with such things
    - music
    - melatonin
    - various drugs
    - intense physical exercise
    - regulating "screen time"
    - forcing myself to wake up at a certain time every day
    - managing diet/eating only at certain times/not drinking caffeine

At this point in my life I've just come to accept that as much as I desperately need/want sleep, I'm not always allowed to get it. I think my body is on some kind of weird like 40 hour sleep cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    oh i'm aware... and its been this way for several years now just how it is with work/school/gym/life and more so a general dislike of sleeping. I try to keep it below 4-5 cups of coffee a day lol
    You're intake of caffeine has nothing to do it with. Based on the stupidity you've just posted here about dislike of sleep I have to assume you're under 20.

Stop being idiotic before you cause yourself irreversible damage.

Takes me 20-60 minutes normally. But I have a few weeks every year where I suffer from heavy insomnia and I lie awake for hours.

Opening Poster, if it takes you less than 30+ minutes to fall asleep, I'd say you are definitely in the normal to quick end of sleep catching, and you should probably not use sleeping medicines. I wouldn't recommend those to folks that don't regularly take more than an hour, really.

In the morning when i have to wake up its easy, at night when I have to go to bed early its the hardest thing in the world.

Used to take me a long time. Sometimes I wouldnt sleep at all and spend the next day at work shitty. Was taking a fair few sleeping pills but then I tried weed and sleepy time comes along so I have some every night now. Can't say it'd be worse sober cos as I said I used to spend all night laying there awake and stressing out at having to wake up soon at 4am.
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    You're intake of caffeine has nothing to do it with. Based on the stupidity you've just posted here about dislike of sleep I have to assume you're under 20.

Stop being idiotic before you cause yourself irreversible damage.
    I'm above 20... by a decent amount... i just don't like sleep. I get a bit more on weekends but less i take sleep aids i rarely sleep more than 5 -6 hours before waking up. In cognitive psych we talked a lot about REM sleep and how to find your cycles and what not. It was interesting for sure, namely that waking during REM is horrible so I do try and avoid that at least.

I know its shocking for someone to not like sleeping, i just think of all the things I could be doing if i had those extra hours per day and my body didn't need sleep.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what I have done prior to it. If I have been playing games, it can take up towards an hour before I can fall asleep when I try to sleep. If I've just had sex it's within 5 minutes.

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the night, but it can take between 20 minutes and 2 hours before I fall asleep from the time I get in bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Melatonin does the job for me. I've accepted that I built up a resistance to falling asleep when my body tells me but the melatonin allows me to fall asleep in a short time frame when I choose to.

Used to do the Benedryl, hate that stuff. Groggy the next day, weird mental states, simply doesn't work sometimes if you use it too often consecutively. Ambien...benedryl * 10. Don't try to fight it or it will make you racist.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Maybe an hour, but 90% of that is spent reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on how exhausted I am.
    Normally around 30 minutes but occasionally I am toast the moment my head touches the pillow.

I am extremely dependent on keeping the rhythm though. If I venture outside of that, my body often refuses to sleep for 3-4 hours. >.<
    I could never work in shifts or travel around the planet. Takes around 2 weeks to find a new rhythm.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2019-02-23 at 07:36 AM.

Usually an hour. Then the wife will come in complaining about being cold. She's asleep before she hits the pillow. Then another 30 minutes to get back to sleep.

It takes me an hour or so sometimes. Some nights I will turn off the lights and hear footsteps, whispers, crying, or laughter. I live by myself.

Lately I've been having some issues. I feel asleep pretty quickly (in a matter of minutes, sometimes even less than 3) but I wake up after what I feel is like 15 minutes of sleep and then I need to fall asleep again and it takes up to half an hour.
    S.H.

From the moment where I (already in bed) decide that now is the time to sleep, usually something like 5-10 minutes. I'd say. But given that I fall asleep, and that that's a gradual process, it's not like I'm able to accurately measure it.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A minute or two :x

But I have a piece of advice:

Turn your phone brightness to the minimum and then the night yellow light on. Use your phone in bed fr about 5/10 minute, in the dark... Now shift the filter off and tune the brightens up.. BOOM! There, that is why you can not fall asleep if you are on your phone and don´t take care of the brightness and the blue light... Your brain will simply not switch off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sleep? What's that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Since I only go to bed when I am tired it usually takes only a few seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the time I'm out within 15 minutes.