Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

depends.. at the time or now??

now the main thing would be class design obviously, cuz its the most important part of the game, but at the time i didnt care, cuz it was all we knew obviously at the time. Also i think while questing itself was cool, i think some quests were boring as shit

some things like losing soul shards on disconnect.. or quest items cast time when you're trying to pick them up etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    You could add binding shoes and polishing your nails as rpg element. But it wouldn’t be as bad as having your pet for months , leveling with you until you have no food for 2 seconds and it is gone

- - - Updated - - -

What system do you think is better rank 14 or rank 1 pre removal of arena teams ?
    i dunno about his answer, but obviously old arena team system was much better.. it was better than the current system

A lot of lack-of-quality of life stuff.

I honestly don't mind the difficult nature of the game. I still play Diablo 2 on Ladder for the record.

What burns me is if I'm playing a Hybrid and I have to Respec, I have to take the time to plot down every talent point, change up my entire bar, change all my spells and gear and make sure I have it all with me in my bags because you never know when someone needs a tank/healer suddenly for a group. At least give us a Template system to remember this stuff. I mean it's important to plot down points manually because it's meaningful, but after some point it becomes a nuisance just because someone had to leave 4 hours into the raid and you don't have a 5th healer to pick up the slack and have to wait for the one guy to change his bars and redo all his talents; and he puts a point in the wrong talent so you have to run with one less innervate or something.

No, this is not Dual Spec, because Dual Spec is instant and free and all in your UI. What I am talking about is saving your character template so you can activate it at the Trainer at full cost of respec. I think having to go back to trainer and paying full cost should still be required, just not having to 'fill in the paperwork' because that part is unnecessary for anyone who already has a set build they use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    I started day 1 vanilla EU (11/02/2005), easy to check with the "Old School Ride" achievement, since mounts got removed in EU 05/05/2005 ~2 months after release. Still playing vanilla players are also into the 1000+ days /played time, I am in that region too.

The only thing I disliked in vanilla was the server performance and the hour long queues every day to login. Everything else was pretty solid, only a few minor class/spec/game bugs, in most cases beneficial for the players (rogue seal fate bug for leveling etc).

The performance issue was a major one, you choose basicly classes/specs many times with server lag in mind after your first character.

For todays lazy wow community some things like the PVP R14 grind seemed over the top, but the huge amount of playerbase consisted much more hardcore players, people seem to ignore today. The crying about everything you see today, was just a carebear issue in vanilla and laughed about.

The sobby carebears in vanilla, never happy about anything don't play today or maybe are waiting for classic to play WoW again for reasons they did not like back than.
    1317 days or 31,608 hours. Wow! Honestly this is mind blowing... most I’ve ever played on a character was about 40-50 days. And I thought I was “hardcore”. Well, damn...
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Goretusk Livers in Westfall

This took me a long time to come up with something I truly dislike about Vanilla. But I found it... itemization, particularly for hybrid classes. Druid for example, is a class I potentially would play if they had raid sets available for all specs.

Dismounting when you ran into deep water.

Physically dragging my ass to Ashenvale to queue for Warsong and waiting for anywhere between 1 to 3 hours to get it going. Can't remember what happened after a game... like I'm not sure if it placed me back where I was when it popped, or just dumped me back into Ashenvale. Both have their cons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Travel time especially if you had to travel between continents

Pugging anything. So you get a group together for a run and someone dc mid run. If you are lucky you have a mage to get to a city to find more but if not you have a solid 45 min wait time for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    Perhaps this is only happenening on private servers, but when I played Vanilla six months ago I ran out of quests multiple times and had to grind a level or two. If you just do quests, you will run out. Even Joanas guide says that you need to grind mobs along the way and the guide stops at 59.

Of course, if you don't play every day and allow your rested exp to stack up, you might experience it less. But for people like me, who play every day and sometimes group up for quests, there is an issue with running out of them.
    That's not entierly true. Sure, if you were to follow one of the guides to the letter and do it the fastest possible way to reach 60. Then yes it whould be nessisary to grind. But even in Joanas guide and all other leveling guides selectivly skip quests. They never explicitly tell you to just grind either. You are very free quests in lower level areas or quests you've skipped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Because those who claim there was "not enough quests" typically didn't play Vanilla and are just repeating bullshit they read on forums.
    The few who did either don't actually mean "not enough quests" but actually "quests not efficient enough to beat grinding" or were stupid enough to not realize you needed to change zones to get more quests.
    it depends when you started playing, iirc before 1.8 there was significant lack of quests, so you had to grind through 58-60 (and somewhere between 28-40s couple of times)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    As a rogue...

Mainhand, Offhand, and neutral weapons (If i remember this correctly).

In Vanilla you would encounter weapons that were specifically offhand weapons, even if it were better than what you had in mainhand, you couldn't equip it there. Which mattered a lot in vanilla seeing as offhand had a damage reduction tied to it and a lower hit chance. So 15dps off hand that swung every second, wouldn't actually hit for 15, it would hit for 10 (rough numbers) and that's before we get into hit%, expertise, armor, etc...

I just remember this being annoying, when you think you get a big upgrade and really it's a very minor upgrade with much better stats. Goes both ways with finding MH but not being able to equip offhand... they are fucking daggers still.
    I wish that one-handers normalization never happened, rogues and fury are stupid anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Grinding.

Nowadays, I'm 25. When I started playing WoW I was about 13-14.

Basically end of Vanilla/start of TBC.

When you're young and you have a lot of time you're naive and anything entertains you. Thus grinding for a child isn't really a problem...

But for an adult with not a lot of time, I know for certain I don't enjoy anything about grinding and putting so many "empty" hours into the game. It feels like such a waste. Otherwise Vanilla is indeed magical. Core RPG elements are still in tact and the sense of community are very strong aspects of it.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely server performance.
    And having to farm Felwood consumables just for that extra edge in Naxxramas.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    it depends when you started playing, iirc before 1.8 there was significant lack of quests, so you had to grind through 58-60 (and somewhere between 28-40s couple of times)
    I started playing at EU release (february 2005). By 1.8, I had one lvl 60 and one lvl 58 already, and I rest my case that there was never any moment where you ran out of quests. Ever.
    It might have been faster to grind, it might have required to do lots of travel to quest, but you never reached a point where there was no quest left before 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lvling as mana user because of drink water almost every one mob (i had mage and it was pain)
    Grouping for a party and looking for more in the middle of instance. (time time time and more time)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I started playing at EU release (february 2005). By 1.8, I had one lvl 60 and one lvl 58 already, and I rest my case that there was never any moment where you ran out of quests. Ever.
    It might have been faster to grind, it might have required to do lots of travel to quest, but you never reached a point where there was no quest left before 60.
    Well i do remember having an option to return to lower level location (after getting to at 35 tanaris and seeing all those silver exclamation marks, turning in one fetch quest, going back to fucking arathi, doing green 30 level quests, then god knows where (desolace i think) to do more level 30 quests, finally getting level 38, running back to tanaris just to see that there are still no quests to do, saying "fuck it" to myself and grinding stupid scorpids for one or two levels)

That's literally the case of running out of quests. It's like saying "you never run out of quests until you do run out of quests". Saying that you don't run out of quests until you do literally all quests that you are allowed to grab is ridiculous. Sure, in hindsight there was a better way, but until they peppered all locations with quests it was a pain in the ass, and you don't expect players to use guides for decent leveling experience, you design your game for players to have decent leveling experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Weapon skills. They make sense on paper but they are such a chore in the game, it's unreal.

I was too much of a noob at the game during that time to really hate anything. I was a kid with a ton of free time also so the slow pace of the game / spending a long time to get groups never bothered me.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Well i do remember having an option to return to lower level location (after getting to at 35 tanaris and seeing all those silver exclamation marks, turning in one fetch quest, going back to fucking arathi, doing green 30 level quests, then god knows where (desolace i think) to do more level 30 quests, finally getting level 38, running back to tanaris just to see that there are still no quests to do, saying "fuck it" to myself and grinding stupid scorpids for one or two levels)

That's literally the case of running out of quests.
    No, that's a case of you not finding the tons of quests available. They DO (and did) exists.
    For someone lvl 35 Alliance side, there is Shimmering Flats, early Badlands, early-to-mid STV, Desolace, Arathi, late Southshore, Theramore. Plus the Missing Diplomat chain. More than enough to reach early 40.
    It's like saying "you never run out of quests until you do run out of quests". Saying that you don't run out of quests until you do literally all quests that you are allowed to grab is ridiculous. Sure, in hindsight there was a better way, but until they peppered all locations with quests it was a pain in the ass, and you don't expect players to use guides for decent leveling experience, you design your game for players to have decent leveling experience.
    I never used guides, I just did the quests I found, and when I had only orange/red ones in a zone, I went to visit other zones in my level range. And that was with not knowing the game and most breadcrumb quests not being implemented yet, now you get many pointer to other regions.

Yet again : there was never a time where you would run out of quest of your level. I will gladly (and already have in fact) agree that many were hard to find, or far away, or locked into chains that you would need to find the first link, or that it was inefficient to go get them, but there ALWAYS is enough quests existing in the world, whatever your level, for you to not run out of "yellow" ones.