Poll: Would you stop and give a ride or keep driving?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    It’s 10 below Zero and you’re driving down a long road you see someone you don’t know walking on the side and know it’s at least 20 miles before the next exit and anywhere to stop and warm up. Would you stop and give them a lift or keep on driving?

Follow up question:

Which weather would you rather deal with extreme heat or extreme cold?

I say extreme cold.
    For me extreme cold is -40 celsius and extreme heat is 40 degree celsius.
    Believe me you'd much rather deal with extreme heat than cold.

15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of variables would matter to me.

If I am alone than I would look for visual clues to determine possible danger. Most likely I WOULD pick up and give ride, I have done so in the past.
    Also, if it is on an interstate I would be less inclined to pick up.
    If any of my kids are with me than nope, it would have to be a special situation to allow it.

Reminds me of shortly after I met my second wife. We were going out on a drive down Stockton Hill, a high desert road that goes all the way to Meadview for 44 miles.
    Beautiful drive flanked by canyons on one side and a dry lake on the other. 5 miles out of town we spot this guy in super small shorts, a white T-shirt and carrying an oxygen tank on wheels trailing behind him. It was so...odd and as I passed I could not get the whole thing out of my head. I was compelled to check on him. My ex who was my GF at the time said she was ok with me stopping when I asked her and so I turned back around and pulled along beside him. He was a bit scruffy and said he just got out of the KRMC hospital and was in because of a spider bite. I asked if he needed a ride and he said sure. He gets in the back of my mitsubishi galant and doesn't really say much. He had practically nothing on and so I could see he had no weapons. He did not tell me exactly where he lived. I just drove out Stockton Hill expecting him to motion me to one of the canyon roads or one of the small subdivisions along the way but we just kept going and it was clear he did not want to talk. I can still remember what my ex (soon to be second wife) was wearing, a tight black tank top and she looked fabulous. I remember my CD deck had a bright indigo blue glow and I can still see her in the light. Crazy I have not thought about this evening for years until this post. Eventually the guy speak up and says "it's ok, I live a ways out, you can drop me off here". Again, I was compelled to get this guy on oxygen as close to home as possible. It was getting late and there are no stores or anything for miles. I insisted on taking him the whole way.
    We ended up driving the whole way to Pierce Ferry Rd...all 44 miles. Near a spot called Greg's Hideout he asked I pull over to let him out and so I did. There was a couple trailers in the distance on the hillside but that was it. He got out and I looked over at the GF and she just smiled at me and we gave each other a WTF look. When we turned around to see where he went he was gone. I drove in a circle trying to spot him in the head lights but nothing but empty desert and Joshua Trees.
    My ex and I talked the whole drive home and we kissed for the first time after when I dropped her off.

Now I am not saying that guy was an angel but...
    Last edited by Animalhouse; 2019-02-28 at 09:15 PM.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Keep driving, stop up the road a bit, call the cops and tell them about it. Only reasons you could be walking around at that temperature so far from civilisation:

- Murderer
    - Insane
    - On drugs
    - Survived a car accident
    - Flat tyre
    - Escaped kidnapping

Only other ones i can think of is a hunter / survivalist person, but those guys hate walking along roads and being near civilisation when they're out on a trip.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    @Animalhouse You have good stories.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Well she is not a complete stranger now isn't she?
    It was a guy, actually. But he was a stranger in that I had never met him before or been introduced to him.

Way too many of you are convinced serial killers just roam long stretches of road in dangerous weather just because they feel like it. This isn't a horror movie.

I take precautions, but I help people like that out whenever possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    It’s 10 below Zero and you’re driving down a long road you see someone you don’t know walking on the side and know it’s at least 20 miles before the next exit and anywhere to stop and warm up. Would you stop and give them a lift or keep on driving?

Follow up question:

Which weather would you rather deal with extreme heat or extreme cold?

I say extreme cold.
    10 below zero? that's a regular winter here.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    10 below zero? that's a regular winter here.
    -10 ain't shit, but I have stopped and given people rides in shitty weather like that.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

7+ Year Old Account
    ... and out of the corner of your eye you spot him...