GY Camping in BG's

As much as camping the enemy GY in WSG might seem like a good strategy, it makes it incredibly hard for the camped team to make any sort of counterplay to either protect themselves or bounce back with objectives, and this feels incredibly counter-intuitive to why people join these games in the first place. It's not fun to lose that hopelessly and when it happens consistently in randoms people either stop queueing or just stop fighting back altogether, and then people wonder why no one wants to queue when they're constantly losing in certain BG's.

In some other BG's Blizz had the GY protected with a bubble that prevents the enemy from entering and doesn't allow you to cast spells. I think that if Blizz elevated the GY's above the base so that enemies couldn't drop down or target from below, with this on top, and prevented anyone from reentering, it would prevent the enemy team from camping the GY and it would prevent both teams from using the bubble to hide and evade the enemy team.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Although I understand the sentiment, in practice it's hard to actually keep 10 players from leaving the graveyard area if they really want to get out. Typically when I see "total graveyard camping", there's several players who are either not resurrecting, or are not making real attempts to get out (things like exiting from the side, resurrecting behind a tree/rock, waiting to res at the same time, coordinating with each other, etc). So part of the reason it works is that you tend to have a couple "guys please just stop rezzing" people and a couple non-strategic ressers (not to mention deserters), which results in a shorthanded situation that's much easier to camp and catch the players who are trying to keep fighting.

There are some things you can do in that situation. One thing is, if you do manage to get out of the graveyard, you can try to pull some of the attention away from the graveyard. For example, in Warsong Gulch if you can grab the enemy flag (typically there are no goaltenders if the team is camping) and run out the enemy's graveyard exit (typically there are no enemy ressers if they're camping your graveyard), it's likely that some of the enemy midfielders will move to intercept you and lessen pressure on your own graveyard, letting some other people on your team get through as they chase after you. Obviously it doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. Often teams in that situation get overconfident and don't pay as much attention to things as they should, so that's the sort of thing to look for.

You're right, though, that Blizz has clearly been moving away from this type of situation. BG's now tend to have multiple graveyards or inaccessible resurrection areas. I guess I don't have an opinion either way, but it does highlight the importance of controlling graveyards in the BG's that have them. That's part of why I tend to lean towards the "3 bases" school of thought for EotS, because you get a natural bottleneck for enemy ressers, who will then spawn in-between your team's pincers.

The real problem is that players aren't disincentivized to do that. Even if you are winning by a landslide, it should be in your interest to win as soon as possible. You only need 1 man to run that flag and even if 1 or 2 people get away from the GY it's unlikely they will take the FC down anytime soon with the current state of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    If you are being GY camped, it means your team is that bad. I have seen many times that people pull out of those situations just because players changed. Also, it is not like you can't turn back and go other direction.
    Let me edit this comment for truth. If you are being GY camped, it means your team is that bad- true, almost always do to being out-twinked. You can pull out of these situations- sometimes, if maybe two or three guys leave early enough and you are lucky enough to get smart twinks that replace them. Also- you CANNOT turn and go other directions from GYs in many BGs. WSG, you need to go down the hill forwards; AB, the starter areas that get camped are easy funnels, etc.

GY camping works because the weaker team spends their time yelling at their healers, AFKing out, and telling each other "Its over, just let them win." Nothing Blizz does can fix player morale falling through in the face of getting owned.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    If you are being GY camped, it means your team is that bad. I have seen many times that people pull out of those situations just because players changed. Also, it is not like you can't turn back and go other direction.
    Not possible on most BG's. The capture-the-flag BG's have only one way (I dunno why they thought this was a good idea) and on AB they can stand on the gy.

It dont happen often, so its not really a issue. Actually, I found it very annyoing when my team did it, instead of just getting the 3 caps be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Not possible on most BG's. .
    Not with that attitude. Dude you quoted was right. I've seen new players load in and break out of a GY camp. I've done it myself loading into that situation as a Disc Priest.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

In some other BG's Blizz had the GY protected with a bubble that prevents the enemy from entering and doesn't allow you to cast spells.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    Not with that attitude. Dude you quoted was right. I've seen new players load in and break out of a GY camp. I've done it myself loading into that situation as a Disc Priest.
    But he wasn't... all the capture the flag bg gy's are designed to go one way. In WSG you can only go forward, you could try to get right on the side, but they still can spot you. Like what fucking attitude? It isn't possible to choose another path in most BG's, that's a fact, just play one ffs.

I've noticed that things like GY camping, twinks and general immaturity go down astronomically during the times when kids are in school. Maybe try playing then?

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Being out of work must be great then. Living the life, I guess!
    Some people are retired or work outside of the 8-5 shift (2nd/3rd shift). Not everyone that works over the weekend has multiple jobs either. I know people who work Wed-Sun instead of Mon-Fri.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Given how few people this applies to, his/her generalized advice is still rather cynical, don't you think? And even if: Having 1-2 days per week for "peaceful" playing isn't really that great either, especially considering that probably none to few of one's guild mates will be available then as well. But if you're a non-working loner, yeah, great idea!
    Having several weeks of paid vacation and personal time per year is awesome.

My advice wasn't cynical. It's based on 14 years of WoW experience. It wasn't meant to obviously trigger you, it was meant to give people a simple solution. It may not be a 100% fix but it does reduce the amount astronomically.

Being GY camped isn't a loss until you click that 'leave battleground' button. Of all the years I've pvp'd, the one thing I've learned is to never give up, and take the reins if need be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.