10+ Year Old Account

Why do people hate trans people more than gay people?

I noticed that while homophobia is a pretty rare thing in Western countries, transphobia is fairly common. I see a lot of people just plain claiming trans people do not exist (even though it has been proven transwomen literally have female brains), or that they "mutilate" their bodies (it is the only way for them to not want to kill themselves because they think their entire body is disgusting).

I guess that trans people are generally weirder for your average Joe - many gays and lesbians I know are very much attractive, but pre-op trans people just plain look strange. Is that just because of the appearance? Is it just ignorance? Or perhaps the existence of "transtrenders" is to blame, people who equate their non-conformity with gender dysphoria?
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Because after gay people were accepted by mainstream culture the bigots had to move on to someone else to hate on.

Keep in mind that gay people were still very much hated on less than 10 years ago. And they still are to some degree, particularly in regards to child adoption.
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2019-03-04 at 11:32 PM.

People don't like things that are different.

I can imagine it might stem out of jealousy.
    I have a few friends that wish they could try doing the op but either don't have the cash or get cold feet when they try to sign up for it.

That's just my opinion though. Haters are always gonna hate. People find anything to hate on.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Inb4 thread closed due to forbidden topic.

A lot of different reasons. I've spoken to actual trans people about this, though I don't remember it all. In some cases? Jealousy of someone doing what you can't. In other cases, just plain bigotry and discrimination. In some, being uneducated about it and thus lashing out against it. In others, looking for a scapegoat to blame issues on.

Essentially, the gay community has been around long enough and fought hard enough that they're getting a lot more recognition and acceptance, but the trans community isn't there yet.

i guess its part because its just something most people cant understand and therefore weird/strange/scary, and part because of a fear of finding out someone is trans after/during a sexual encounter and then getting insecure about their own sexuality.

it's probably also part not hate but just concern, i'm pretty sure if someone told me they wanted to have an operation like that my first reaction would be "but youre fine the way you are" or "are you sure thats a big deal" or something like that instead of immediately being on board with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImperios View Post
    I noticed that while homophobia is a pretty rare thing in Western countries
    LOL. I stopped reading here. This is obvious you know what.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Because 'Anything you can do I can do better' was a showtune, not a call to arms.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    pre-op trans people just plain look strange.

Do they now?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I noticed that while homophobia is a pretty rare thing in Western countries, transphobia is fairly common. I see a lot of people just plain claiming trans people do not exist (even though it has been proven transwomen literally have female brains), or that they "mutilate" their bodies (it is the only way for them to not want to kill themselves because they think their entire body is disgusting).
    I have to say I see the hatred and am aware of the transphobia, but the things you list are not really comparable to "hatred" as in the emotion of hatred expressed by people espousing those views. I'm sure those views are in amongst the hateful people, but having those beliefs aren't in themselves hateful.

I guess that trans people are generally weirder for your average Joe - many gays and lesbians I know are very much attractive, but pre-op trans people just plain look strange. Is that just because of the appearance? Is it just ignorance? Or perhaps the existence of "transtrenders" is to blame, people who equate their non-conformity with gender dysphoria?
    Sure. Generally it makes people within 2 sds of the normal distribution a bit uncomfortable to have someone that's in the far tail end of probability that isn't much use to them, which should make most people sad. I have no idea what the preponderance of "transtrenders" is, or even really that it existed outside of right-wing memes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Discussions on this topic are very clearly not permitted, as per the site guidelines.

Closed.