Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Eggs linked to higher risk of heart disease and early death, study says

READ FIRST:

The reason i made this thread was not for the study result per se, but to denote how many different studies on eggs ive seen over the past 20+ years with differing results.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys/3177145002/

I kid you not ive seen 10+ major studies on eggs in my life and im only 37, each one of them presenting different "facts".

That is the problem with science today, we rely far too much on results and lean far too little on human intuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    READ FIRST:

The reason i made this thread was not for the study result per se, but to denote how many different studies on eggs ive seen over the past 20+ years with differing results.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys/3177145002/

I kid you not ive seen 10 studies on eggs in my life and im only 37, each one of them presenting different "facts".

That is the problem with science today, we rely far too much on results and lean far too little on human intuition.
    Yeah, wasn't there studies saying they were high in cholesterol, then they weren't, and other things.

Yes, tomorrow we're going to see a study that says eggs lower the risk of getting heart diseases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Yeah, wasn't there studies saying they were high in cholesterol, then they weren't, and other things.
    Well the thing with that, is we dont even fully understand how cholesterol works in regards to health yet.

The way I see it, everyone’s genetic code is so different that a healthy diet for person A might not be the healthiest diet for person B. These studies don’t tend to look at family ethnic background in any detail someone with DNA from Scotland might have different needs than someone from Asia

I'd say it was the 400 pound fat ass and not the 3 eggs they ate for breakfast that killed them

So my intuition says this:

1. This greatly depends on what other factors are at play, how can you accurately measure stress levels for example?
    2. How do you figure genetics into this study? Ive seen 115 year olds who have smoked every day of their life.

I feel studies like this have no real value, and should be left unpublished.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    The way I see it, everyone’s genetic code is so different that a healthy diet for person A might not be the healthiest diet for person B. These studies don’t tend to look at family ethnic background in any detail someone with DNA from Scotland might have different needs than someone from Asia
    How can a random on an a mmo forum get this and not the people doing these studies?

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is with any scientific data, there is what the data says, and then there is what people cherry pick and apply. Most stories like this aren't geared toward scientist or those who know any better.

It's targeting stupid people who enjoy meaningless factoids and information, this is why we have so many YouTube top 5, 10 and 25, because people like to pretend like they are learning shit, when they in truth haven't bothered to do any more research themselves one way or another.

Most of this I blame on people, the other part I blame in the media for stupid shit like this, because stupid gets better ratings and more eyeballs than boring real information.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Whats funny is i have made threads on this forum about how genetics are EVERYTHING and was shot down left and right.

So what is it mmochamp?

i need to start eating egg biscuits for breakfast again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much sums it up. Dont like the study, wait a year.

Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    So blame science on the media's faulty reporting. There's nothing wrong with science. There's nothing wrong with publishing these studies.

What's wrong is the media taking them out of context, blowing them up into something they aren't and making definitive claims about things, which then gullible readers fall for.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    So my intuition says this:

1. This greatly depends on what other factors are at play, how can you accurately measure stress levels for example?
    2. How do you figure genetics into this study? Ive seen 115 year olds who have smoked every day of their life.

I feel studies like this have no real value, and should be left unpublished.

- - - Updated - - -

How can a random on an a mmo forum get this and not the people doing these studies?
    Because this is complete and utter bullshit and in no way common sense or any other. It's complete nonsense, both your take and the article on the study itself. And No it isn't mind blowing either.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    The problem is with any scientific data, there is what the data says, and then there is what people cherry pick and apply. Most stories like this aren't geared toward scientist or those who know any better.

It's targeting stupid people who enjoy meaningless factoids and information, this is why we have so many YouTube top 5, 10 and 25, because people like to pretend like they are learning shit, when they in truth haven't bothered to do any more research themselves one way or another.

Most of this I blame on people, the other part I blame in the media for stupid shit like this, because stupid gets better ratings and more eyeballs than boring real information.
    I also dont disagree with this, media is just out for clicks regardless of the data. That still does not change the fact ive seen soooo many differing studies on eggs specifically that i had to make this thread.

10+ Year Old Account

Is there anything that doesnt kill us?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Because this is complete and utter bullshit and in no way common sense or any other. It's complete nonsense, both your take and the article on the study itself. And No it isn't mind blowing either.
    So you believe me and yelmurcs idea of genetics playing a huge role is bullshit? How else would you explain the massive amount of inconsistencies with these egg studies specifically over the years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Correlations are useless without mechanistic evidence.

If that mechanistic evidence suggested that cholesterol in eggs increases serum cholesterol associated with LDL in individuals with metabolic syndrome who can't control their blood lipids, and is then oxidized from pollution or smoke exposure, leading to adhesion and accumulation in the walls of major arteries, then smokers with metabolic syndrome who are not trying to fix their condition shouldn't eat eggs.

Otherwise, eat your eggs. They're very nutritious.

A neighbour of my family home has eaten 6 eggs everyday for 70 years. he is 102 now. yeah i will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    Correlations are useless without mechanistic evidence.

If that mechanistic evidence suggested that cholesterol in eggs increases serum cholesterol associated with LDL in individuals with metabolic syndrome who can't control their blood lipids, and is then oxidized from pollution or smoke exposure, leading to adhesion and accumulation in the walls of major arteries, then smokers with metabolic syndrome who are not trying to fix their condition shouldn't eat eggs.

Otherwise, eat your eggs. They're very nutritious.
    Wow why didnt they just contact you? You got it all wrapped up in a neat little bun m8.