Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really like Beto, but he'd be better served as a VP to a progressive like Bernie.

and for running against Cornyn, I doubt he;d win that either. Cornyn is by far less hated, and generally more accepted by the educated / center republicans in the state. Beto would absolutely lose the few red counties he picked up, and I think beto would lose by even more than he did Cruz. So, I cant fault him for this.

Seems like an empty candidate, lots of passion not a lot of substance.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettySweet View Post
    It takes a lot of ignorance to accuse Beto of not being pro-immigrant enough.
    Not sure what the point of this post is considering I did no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Seems like an empty candidate, lots of passion not a lot of substance.
    So you're saying he's going to win

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Not to be that guy, but why is this man running for President.
    Same reason a lot of these smaller players are: For their own personal political careers. For some it's the opportunity to get national recognition for runs down the road. For folks like Beto, it's to keep him in the national spotlight because he has no political career right now. His political future relies on remaining "relevant", and the only way for him to do that is to throw his name in the ring.

I don't see him being the nominee without either supporting M4A or some other serious version of healthcare reform that's on par with M4A. Just wanting to make a few small improvements here and there isn't going to cut it.

10+ Year Old Account
    He won't secure the nomination but it probably won't hurt to keep in the public eye a little while. For some reason beyond me, people like him, he lost to the guy who was a worse candidate than even Trump was, so I'm not convinced; being a less terrible option than Ted Cruz is as damned with faint praise as one can be, I'd need to see a lot more, maybe this campaign will let him show some of that before he drops out.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    He won't secure the nomination but it probably won't hurt to keep in the public eye a little while. For some reason beyond me, people like him, he lost to the guy who was a worse candidate than even Trump was, so I'm not convinced; being a less terrible option than Ted Cruz is as damned with faint praise as one can be, I'd need to see a lot more, maybe this campaign will let him show some of that before he drops out.
    Texas hasn't had a Dem Senator since the 80's. The fact Beto nearly pulled it off, which includes turning several red counties blue, is a pretty large accomplishment in itself. Cruz is shit, but dont underestimate the power of "but he is still a Republican!".

Like I dont get why people hold this against Beto, and its almost always by non Texans. If anything, critisisms over his policies are probably better suited. I understand he is by far more conservative than many of the declared Dem candidates, and Id certainly prefer he do Bernie's MFA, but sheesh.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2019-03-14 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    So you're saying he's going to win
    An empty vessel can be filled with whatever the people want, at least in terms of what they say they believe in; also allows people to more easily project their own beliefs onto the candidate if the candidate doesn't mess it up by being too transparent. Maybe I just need to do more research, but he makes my skin crawl at this stage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    If anything, critisisms over his policies are probably better suited. I understand he is by far more conservative than many of the declared Dem candidates, and Id certainly prefer he do Bernie's MFA, but sheesh.
    I didn't really get into why I don't like him as a candidate. Playing to a Texas base he was somebody I'd never vote for except that Cruz was the alternative. Playing to a national base he has a chance to show something more for people, like me, who are not interested in what he's done so far.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I didn't really get into why I don't like him as a candidate. Playing to a Texas base he was somebody I'd never vote for except that Cruz was the alternative. Playing to a national base he has a chance to show something more for people, like me, who are not interested in what he's done so far.
    I get that, although his actual policies might not change that much. He might pivot to a MFA but he is still, as he has called himself, a capitalist and a Texan form El Paso. I feel like what people saw during the Senate race might be what they see nationally for the most part, although he was able to speak to issues in a remarkably intelligent manner when he did his tours. That might be able to translate well to debates

Id probably be disappointed if he went full Bernie though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id probably be disappointed if he went full Bernie though.
    He doesn't have to swing from one 'extreme' to the other, but I would have to see that he is more capable of representing a larger spectrum.
    /s

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Only a few short months ago Beto said he definitely wouldn't be running. It now seems that Robert Francis O'Rourke was lying.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minu...ident-in-2020/

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/60-min...ident-in-2020/
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    Only a few short months ago Beto said he definitely wouldn't be running. It now seems that Robert Francis O'Rourke was lying.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minu...ident-in-2020/

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/60-min...ident-in-2020/
    Breaking news! Politicians play coy about their plans or change their minds! read all about it on the 7 o clock news where we also discover fire is hot!

He's a terrible candidate with a checkered past, no prominence, and almost zero redeeming qualities.

7+ Year Old Account
    Breaking news! Politicians play coy about their plans or change their minds! read all about it on the 7 o clock news where we also discover fire is hot!
    But his family could not survive it! /s

Fire is hot....and liars lie.
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

If anyone has a problem with lying I guess that means they hate Trump quite a bit. Beto would be fantastic by comparison so that means they'd vote Beto over Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    He's a terrible candidate with a checkered past, no prominence, and almost zero redeeming qualities.
    So you're saying he has a chance to win?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    But his family could not survive it! /s

Fire is hot....and liars lie.
    I hope you don't hold this against him.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I hope you don't hold this against him.
    I won't. I pretty much expect it from politicians....no selective outrage here.