View Poll Results: How invested are you personally in fighting climate change?

Voters
123. This poll is closed
  • Need more info

28 22.76%
  • I would be willing to cut my driving in half

24 19.51%
  • I would be willing to have power cut 4 hours a day

9 7.32%
  • No, such programs are not for me, let someone else do it

62 50.41%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Here's something we could do right now that would have a huge impact on climate change, drive our cars, buses, trucks on alternate days.

If you're license ends in an even number, you drive on even days, don't drive on odd days. If it ends in a odd number, you drive on odd days. Car pooling is fine and is expected.

Would you accept and follow such a program?

How about the power company turns the electricity off for 4 hours a day? Like from 5pm to 9pm?

How invested are you personally in fighting climate change?
    The students don’t give a shit about climate change, they just want to get out of school.

All of this stuff will have little to no impact on the climate, it’s pretty much all irrelevant especially considering China and India are increasing carbon emissions year after year.

No one is going to do this long term, no one wants to sacrifice comfort and convenience. If ppl aren’t carpooling to save money they won’t do it for the climate.

You start shutting off ppls power they r going to freak out. Bet it wouldn’t even be a benefit, ppl will buy generators, crank the A/C before and after u shut off the power, use more energy in general since they “save” power for 4 hours a day.

*shrug*

Whatever. Even, if all I just said is bullshit, nothing will still happen. So I dont really care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    The students don’t give a shit about climate change, they just want to get out of school.
    Prove it.

All of this stuff will have little to no impact on the climate, it’s pretty much all irrelevant especially considering China and India are increasing carbon emissions year after year.
    An increasing push towards renewable energy and sustainable resource use in the west helps make the cost of the technologies to do so affordable by developing countries.

No one is going to do this long term, no one wants to sacrifice comfort and convenience. If ppl aren’t carpooling to save money they won’t do it for the climate.
    They will. The question is how bad things have to get prior to that point.

You start shutting off ppls power they r going to freak out. Bet it wouldn’t even be a benefit, ppl will buy generators, crank the A/C before and after u shut off the power, use more energy in general since they “save” power for 4 hours a day.
    Fun fact, did you know AC usage spikes tend to correlate exactly with peak solar energy collection?

It's almost as if people tend to use air conditioning in sunny weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post

Yeah, with the amazing weather we are having that makes kids just love standing outside all day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    *shrug*

Whatever. Even, if all I just said is bullshit, nothing will still happen. So I dont really care.
    While you have nothing to back up any of your claims

10+ Year Old Account

Here's something we could do right now that would have a huge impact on climate change, drive our cars, buses, trucks on alternate days.

If you're license ends in an even number, you drive on even days, don't drive on odd days. If it ends in a odd number, you drive on odd days. Car pooling is fine and is expected.

How about the power company turns the electricity off for 4 hours a day? Like from 5pm to 9pm?

Couldn't really vote as the correct options aren't there for me.

I find myself not as invested as I could but that is due to rental home. Else, I am running an Eco approved car with emission filter. I have powersaving lightbulbs. I have certain electrical devices on timers (to cut down on standby power cost). I try my best to recycle, could be done better but I'm not allowed to have farm animals for the food waste.

Once I get my own house, we'll most likely attach solar panels as well as getting a geothermic well drilled.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Back in my day we used to use every excuse the in the book to skip classes too. Some things stay the same.

Every single con-commercial driver on Earth could stop driving altogether and it would not solve the climate change problem. Nearly all significant climate affecting emissions are made at the commercial level. That doesn't mean you should live carefree and without responsibility, but it does make it hard to see that kind of suggestion as anything but gaslighting that only seeks to take the blame off those responsible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Every single con-commercial driver on Earth could stop driving altogether and it would not solve the climate change problem. Nearly all significant climate affecting emissions are made at the commercial level. That doesn't mean you should live carefree and without responsibility, but it does make it hard to see that kind of suggestion as anything but gaslighting that only seeks to take the blame off those responsible.
    You realize those commercial emissions occur because people buy those products, right?

They aren't producing goods, transporting those goods, etc., for the hell of it. They are doing it because people pay them to do it. Those very same people could just as easily choose to stop paying for those goods. If that were to happen on a large scale, those companies would have no choice but to scale back their production, some might even fail entirely... Both of those things would reduce those dastardly commercial emissions and all it would take is normal people deciding to just not engage in consumerism... But almost no one, not even environmental activists, can be bothered to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    All i'm hearing her say and protest is "We need to do something". Which is what everyone is saying... so I don't really understand why this is getting so much focus. Seems like we focus more on about us wanting to do something rather than actually do something.
    Thats what this whole climate ordeal is. No1 knows if we are the cause. It's likely that we speed it up, but thats not proven nor is the speed increase anywhere determinable.

And if so, it won't work unless the whole world contributes. So far every major industry says fuck it. Basicly we all have no idea how much influence we can have. But hey, at least our political parties and students can use it for moral high ground and ditching school

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Thats what this whole climate ordeal is. No1 knows if we are the cause. It's likely that we speed it up, but thats not proven nor is the speed increase anywhere determinable.
    This kind of silliness should be considered a conspiracy theory at this point. It's on par with flat eartherism.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    The 12 years left sign was a dead give away.
    or "stop climate change now"

lmao, what do you mean now? and how...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    This kind of silliness should be considered a conspiracy theory at this point. It's on par with flat eartherism.
    Proof it. Youd be surprised.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one ever accomplished anything by doing nothing but holding a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Off the bat you couldn't be more wrong. There are so many deniers out there/here.
    Yes, but they literally don't matter. Even Trump, doesn't matter in this. Truth is climate policy is bigger than him. It'd be useful to have him help pressure the developing world and push change in his own agricultural department, but a lot of policy is decided and dictated at the local level. trump can spit rhetoric about coal all he wants, it still isn't coming back. He can 'meme' about needing some global warming when it snows, it doesn't stop green energy developments because the consensus is even if we're wrong about CC, cleaner air is good.

Spinning it as a health issue for respiratory problems at a lower level of government has been very successful thus far actually. Especially in countries with government supported health care where it benefits them financially to change the problem.

I love how people think that peaceful protests and starbucks coffee will be able to stop THE APPOCALYPSE.

Like governments and elites are going to suddenly change their ways because of the children lol.

Those kids protest now but one day they will be sent over seas to get slaughtered in the coming water wars.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    This thread is a great display of why humanity is absolutely fucked.

We have idiots that are in denial of the facts thats the major problem with the world right now. far to many think about making a big buck right now instead of winning long term.

really 99% chance the bridge will collapse and kill you if you drive up on it, yep we got shitload of people willing to do exactly that when it comes to climate change.

Cars contribute jack fucking all in the greater scheme of things. So a srupid idea.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Students around the world slack off and skip class, accomplishing nothing instead of prioritizing their studies so that they can grow up to be someone who can actually contribute to real change.
    I'd rather they skip class for a good reason than to drink bear and party.
    They are also most likely accomplishing quite a bit. These kids will be the voters that decide who will lead this world in only a few years, some in the next elections. Politicians will listen to them or be out of a job.

- - - Updated - - -

Thoes suggestions you have there are rather silly though and are most likely added just to get under peoples skin. Grown up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Proof it. Youd be surprised.
    Thousands of scientists have done as close to proving it as science can do. But we can't abuse how science works to claim it hasn't essentially been proven. Science technically hasn't proven gravity, or the physics that are behind your car, or anything that makes your computer work, either. But we very firmly understand those things and have largely laid them to rest.

I'm not entirely unsympathetic to this view on climate change even if it's wrong. I was raised conservative, so there was a good solid decade and a half where I felt and said the same stuff. Conservatism will let you get as far as "climate change is happening, but it's a mysterious force" before it grabs for the breaks. But climate change isn't nearly so mysterious as conservative ideology insists, and we're decades past the point where it's just calling for ignorance. We pretty firmly understand it, and that's largely because it derives from the same mechanics as those things we also firmly understand, like gravity and physics.
    Last edited by Grapemask; 2019-03-17 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Resistance to such measures doesn't disprove their necessity.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again, prove it. I'm seeing a lot of assertions here.
    Prove what exactly? That they have no idea what they are talking about? Well I don't see them talking about how terrible Asia, Africa and South America regions are with environmental pollution, being that they cause almost all environmental pollution. Nor do I see them talking about how great western countries are for undertaking so many environmental initiatives over the last 30 years to make the west the forefront of environmental conservation.

Its always about 'fuck the rightwing government' and 'gib money to UN'. Here, they wouldn't even know who the hell the PM is unless they are told. We just got a new PM, we didn't vote for him but the ruling party decided he should be PM. He replaces the previous PM who we also did not vote for. He too also replaced a PM who we actually did vote for in a democratic election, but was also replaced by the whims of our government. That's where our democracy is at now. Not that the our majority leftwing party here can talk because they also did the same thing twice as well the last time they were in power.
    Last edited by VanishingAct; 2019-03-17 at 12:51 PM.
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”