Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Healasouhait View Post
    In my opinion it's the best version of Alterac.

    We avoid, both this reinforcement crap and the 24h alterac while still having the opportunity for the 2-3h alterac with massive killings (still have some screenshots of those) which were great.

    Too bad however for the removal of dwarf spines, orc teeth etc...they were great to increase reps.
    IMHO no, it isn't the best version of AV. they could have easily gone with a version between 1.5 and 1.12 that retains the original PvPvE BG experience of AV and still doesn't turn into either a turtle fest or what we see in retail.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    What does that have to do with whether something existed in vanilla or not?
    You're arguing that "people won't do this because they didn't do it in 2004!!"

    Protip: It's not 2004 anymore.


    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    By default he's right - you say no one wants to do something that he obviously wants to do. Someone wants to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Well. If he would like to do an 8 hour battleground then that alone is proof that the claim is false.
    It doesnt matter if the population that wants it is 0,001% or 99,999%. in either case it is disproved.
    Ah, so you're being pedantic. To the ignore list you go, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    LFR saved raiding
    Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    LFR is not really easy. I would say it's a lot harder thant Mythic Dungeons
    get_a_load_of_this_guy_cam.jpg

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by robotusch View Post
    Someone remind me, wasn't there diminishing returns on farming HK's? I have a faint memory of reading that once you killed another played 3 times, you stopped hetting honour/HK's from that player, which was why those who were serious about PvP stayed well clear of AV.
    Back when HK's had diminishing returns any honor gained in a particular day was "Estimated Honor". In the middle of the night it would calculate the true honor gained and if you had farmed HK's off of the same people to the point of 0 honor your honor gained for the day would be lower than the estimated value. The was the case for instanced and world pvp as a whole.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    You're arguing that "people won't do this because they didn't do it in 2004!!"

    Protip: It's not 2004 anymore.





    Ah, so you're being pedantic. To the ignore list you go, then.
    Id argue that you really have no idea what people want. The amount of players that enjoyed the old version of AV and want to relive it could be alot higher than you suspect.
    Claiming that everyone (or even the majority) want a fast on-rails streamlined alterac valley is a very dubious claim.
    "My brother thinks I'm crazy to play the same game for years. He doesn't understand. I plan to play it for the rest of my life."

  5. #45
    Dreadlord Leodric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    973
    Had great memories with the old AV and a well equipped warrior from my guild. I was his pocket healer on my paladin with another priest, zerged through the middle. Great times.

    I wish Blizzard would start with the old AV, if it doesn't work out they can still patch it to the 1.12 version, I see nothing wrong with that.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Id argue that you really have no idea what people want. The amount of players that enjoyed the old version of AV and want to relive it could be alot higher than you suspect.
    Claiming that everyone (or even the majority) want a fast on-rails streamlined alterac valley is a very dubious claim.
    Neither side can prove anything. Just because one side is louder doesn't mean it's the majority. Generally speaking most people only use forums to complain.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Neither side can prove anything. Just because one side is louder doesn't mean it's the majority. Generally speaking most people only use forums to complain.
    im not the one making a claim here. I dont need to prove anything, that burden falls on the person making the dubious claim that noone wants to do an 8 hour Alterac valley.

    Hell, i dont think even i want to do that. But i wouldn't be so foolish as to claim my own opinion is everyones opinion.
    "My brother thinks I'm crazy to play the same game for years. He doesn't understand. I plan to play it for the rest of my life."

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    im not the one making a claim here. I dont need to prove anything, that burden falls on the person making the dubious claim that noone wants to do an 8 hour Alterac valley.

    Hell, i dont think even i want to do that. But i wouldn't be so foolish as to claim my own opinion is everyones opinion.
    There are lots of people doing exactly that when it comes to several different arguments about Classic

  9. #49
    Elemental Lord Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    8,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Healasouhait View Post
    In my opinion it's the best version of Alterac.

    We avoid, both this reinforcement crap and the 24h alterac while still having the opportunity for the 2-3h alterac with massive killings (still have some screenshots of those) which were great.

    Too bad however for the removal of dwarf spines, orc teeth etc...they were great to increase reps.
    This is the positive I see too. We may not have the best but we defiantly do not have the worst either.

    Even back with 1.12 I remember those games still going on for a while. Sure they were not the epic days long AV's we know but you did get still get a good 4 - 6 hour long AV runs from them at most.

    Hell, I have a screenshot of a 3 hour WSG match we had one time. Wish I could find it.. watch this space. :P
    "Hatred and prejudice will never be eradicated. And witch hunts will never be about witches. To have a scapegoat—that's the key" - Geralt of Rivia

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Well, maybe you should look at the reactions on the announcement both in US and EU forum, because YEAH it seems it's 110 % not just like my opinion and the consensus seems already here.
    That's not exactly a scientific measurement. Even if other (vocal) people share your opinion doesn't mean it's a consensus. Regardless, the goal isn't expressly to what everyone's "representation of vanilla" is, which is an ill-defined subjective concept. They're emulating patch 1.12, the logic by which they decided on that content patch has been documented pretty thoroughly. Diverging on a subset of features or content is just so absurd I can't believe anyone even suggested it, but I shouldn't underestimate the classic community I guess.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusBrutus View Post
    That's not exactly a scientific measurement.
    A consensus is not a scientific measurement, so obviously when you ask for a consensus you won't get a scientific measurement.
    What it does seem to me is that you just don't like the facts you got and then look at reason to claim they are invalid.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Private servers are not a reflection of retail. The long epic AV's were about farming HKs, the only currency that mattered in pvp. Marks were floof.
    Winning was more honor per hour than farming was. The Alterac Valley fast push from alliance was where it was at. Bring some rogues and a lock and get to the base, summon everyone else in and win in 10 minutes by split pulling the enforcers.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    IMHO no, it isn't the best version of AV. they could have easily gone with a version between 1.5 and 1.12 that retains the original PvPvE BG experience of AV and still doesn't turn into either a turtle fest or what we see in retail.
    1.5-1.12 was a straight turtlefest. That is all it was.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kersey View Post
    Back when HK's had diminishing returns any honor gained in a particular day was "Estimated Honor". In the middle of the night it would calculate the true honor gained and if you had farmed HK's off of the same people to the point of 0 honor your honor gained for the day would be lower than the estimated value. The was the case for instanced and world pvp as a whole.
    That was why after the changes and the 10-15 minute alliance AV win was invented the PVPers came back to AV.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Leodric View Post
    Had great memories with the old AV and a well equipped warrior from my guild. I was his pocket healer on my paladin with another priest, zerged through the middle. Great times.

    I wish Blizzard would start with the old AV, if it doesn't work out they can still patch it to the 1.12 version, I see nothing wrong with that.
    Development time.......they are not wanting to put in extra dev time on trivial things.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Winning was more honor per hour than farming was. The Alterac Valley fast push from alliance was where it was at. Bring some rogues and a lock and get to the base, summon everyone else in and win in 10 minutes by split pulling the enforcers.
    Ah, someone who never played vanilla I see. You're in for a treat if they implement the real pre-2.0 pvp system!.

    There was no honor for winning, only tokens and iirc a fairly lucrative one time quest for players without raid gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Ah, someone who never played vanilla I see. You're in for a treat if they implement the real pre-2.0 pvp system!.

    There was no honor for winning, only tokens and iirc a fairly lucrative one time quest for players without raid gear.
    No there was honor for taking points and killing bosses......I was a field marshal in vanilla.....and ran numerous AV rush groups.

  15. #55
    The Insane Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    17,454
    This is fine, pre-1.12 AV always devolved into 1 thing and one thing only:
    Everyone being stuck on the Alliance bridge until one side had enough people that got bored and quit for the other to push through.

    1.12 wasn't nearly as zergy as people make it out to be.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    This is fine, pre-1.12 AV always devolved into 1 thing and one thing only:
    Everyone being stuck on the Alliance bridge until one side had enough people that got bored and quit for the other to push through.

    1.12 wasn't nearly as zergy as people make it out to be.
    1.12 was only "Zergy" from the alliance side if they were organized and had multiple rogues, a warlock with a lot of soul shards and a druid to pull the strat off. If not it was a grind it out slugfest.

  17. #57
    The Lightbringer gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Kersey View Post
    What patch did everyone get forced into the same raid?
    I believe that didn't start until BC or the pre-BC patch when earning titles were removed.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Kersey View Post
    What patch did everyone get forced into the same raid?
    Drums of War, a.k.a. 1.12 which also introduced Crossrealm bg's.

  19. #59
    No dorf spines ? :<

  20. #60
    Good decision. I don't want to play 8 hours and go to sleep without any conclusion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •