Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Is there an official Stadia thread? Is this it? Anyway, here's some stuff about it:

https://n4g.com/news/2399461/focusin...ng-down-sgande

edit:

and...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaks...ios_impacting/
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-02-01 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Is there an official Stadia thread? Is this it? Anyway, here's some news:

https://n4g.com/news/2399461/focusin...ng-down-sgande
    Yep, in a surprise to nobody the Stadia beta test was not a grand success. And now we'll never get all those hot exclusives that were totally going to make the service with the price of admission.

I'm honestly surprised they killed it within just over a year, usually they give their betas longer than that before killing them so it makes me wonder if this was a bigger failure than they're used to and made the decision to cut funding all the easier. Not that they can't afford to waste the money, they totally can, but it seems that this lasted a lot shorter than some of their other public betas.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yep, in a surprise to nobody the Stadia beta test was not a grand success. And now we'll never get all those hot exclusives that were totally going to make the service with the price of admission.

I'm honestly surprised they killed it within just over a year, usually they give their betas longer than that before killing them so it makes me wonder if this was a bigger failure than they're used to and made the decision to cut funding all the easier. Not that they can't afford to waste the money, they totally can, but it seems that this lasted a lot shorter than some of their other public betas.
    It’s possible they didn’t have to talent to make their studio successful.

This is a perfect example of the opposite of love being apathy. If people loved or hated this thing, they would be all over this...but it is like the opposite of click bait.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    It’s possible they didn’t have to talent to make their studio successful.
    Well, they had Jade Raymond, who is one of the bigger names in game dev (but a pretty terrible human being). And with the money they have, they'd have no problems poaching more talent (if they hadn't already) similar to how Amazon was snapping up devs left and right for years (before many of them left).

It seems more that they expected it to do super well because, "Well, we're Google!" and that when it became clear that didn't work they pulled the plug. I actually interviewed with them to work on Stadia in a non-development role a while back. Didn't necessarily want the job (not keen about the work culture/environment, definitely not keen about the product) and even in that interview there were a bunch of red flags when it came to my view of their plans for the service.

They seemed like they were functionally treating it like and already successful, launched product in terms of what they wanted me to do in my position. Not as a new product entering the market that needed to build up momentum and a userbase, but one that would have momentum and a userbase simply by virtue of releasing.

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Just another project that's likely destined for the Google Graveyard.

Without first party studios there will never be games on stadia which actually utilize their cloud. Which makes the entire thing pointless. Their new strategy sounds like they try to make as much money with as little effort as they can before giving it the Coup de grâce. Killing a gaming studio with 100+ people 10 months after founding has to be a new record.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Wow cool another system thats gonna flop in a month to add to the rip pile.
    Anybody want the lottery numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    Google+ could have been good but it entered the market too late. Self-driving cars can't be deemed a failure yet, bit early to tell. Nothing wrong with Google fiber. There is no big competitor on the cloud gaming market, there are some smaller companies (Shadow?) on the market but its open goal for Google.

Also there's one thing failing with delivering a concept and if that concept will be successful, there is definitely a market for cloud gaming, you can quote me on that in 2 years.
    Well at least you have 4 more months to maybe be correct for once
    Last edited by Video Games; 2021-02-02 at 02:37 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    As For me Stadia is interesting platform, cause I could play at free version of Immortal Fenyx Rising from Ubisoft. We'll see

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Anybody want the lottery numbers
    TBF it's not like your prediction was uncommon. If anything most people I know called it that way.

So software licenses. If we buy digital games on Stadia can we trust that our software licenses will be playable in 10 years?

Does this affect your confidence in the Stadia brand? Is Stadia a safe place to invest my money, my library via digital licenses?

If you had recommended Stadia before, would you change your recommendation based on this latest news?

I have a Stadia and it's pretty decent. The thing about it was that they didn't offer anything spectacular or unique to owning the stadia setup plus the sub fee. Yea, cool I could play Assassin's Creed on my 4 year old laptop or Phone but AC games are a dime a dozen. I am not super hot to play Hotline Maimi, Tomb Raider Final Fantasy 15 or another 2D indie platformer I already owned, played or that came out years ago specifically on Stadia.

Who was looking at Stadia, and many of these other streaming services, saying "Oh boy, I was hesitant to try ENTER THE GUNGEON and HELLO NEIGHBOR but now that I can have a BT controller, Nvida Shield, and pay a $10 sub fee to play over the cloud I am gonna jump on it!"

The games libraries are not unique or attention-getting enough to pull mainstream gamers from their Switch/PSN storefronts or exclusive enough PC gamers are tossing their 3080s in the trash.

You have to offer tremendous value (Gamepass) or be particularly exclusive (Switch/PS5) to make any difference in the video games market as a provider.

I don't give a fuck about the cost to play any games- when you are offering that Mile Morales game I can not get elsewhere and it looks better than almost any video game I have ever played you have a product of particular value. PS5 sold.

That is not to say Stadia or Geforce Now (which I like more than Stadia tbh), are bad products or in practice. They just don't have anything to make it "worthwhile" for the majority of game players and enthusiasts. Cool, I can play Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the cloud in my office at work... but I played that like 4 years ago already, and paying $10 for the privilege is not a thing I think most customers would be eager to do.

Reminds me of Jurassic Park quote:

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

Lead dev of Terraria decided not to make the game avalaible on Stadia. Reason? Google algorhitm banned his account for no reason and he wasnt given answer for over 3 weeks.

https://twitter.com/Demilogic/status...61842147692549

Doing business with you is a liability.
    Oof.

Good on them for apparently refunding everything to consumers, that's uncommon. I get it, it's probably a fairly low-ish cost (for Google) PR win and all, but still nice for folks who won't have a very expensive paper weight. But I guess they can display it on their shelves alongside the Ouya.

I'd be fascinated to learn what the loss on this is. Gotta be "small" for Google, but like...R&D, production, marketing, plus paying for timed exclusives or simply handing developers bags of cash for Stadia ports could not have been cheap overall.

A sadly predictable and inevitable end for the hardware, guess it gets added to the Google Graveyard now.

I saw this thread and thought "is stadia even alive?". Heh.

Time to go through all the hype comments here and laugh at dumb posters.

"So you really think Google just spent millions of dollars developing a platform that nobody will use? I think you're being a bit delusional here, sorry." - who's the delusional one now huehuehuehue.

Okay, not many believers even back in 2019.
    Last edited by ldev; 2022-09-29 at 07:05 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

I don't know what to say. I've got nothing to add, but I can't not post about this, so nothing I guess.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Good on them for apparently refunding everything to consumers, that's uncommon. I get it, it's probably a fairly low-ish cost (for Google) PR win and all, but still nice for folks who won't have a very expensive paper weight. But I guess they can display it on their shelves alongside the Ouya.

I'd be fascinated to learn what the loss on this is. Gotta be "small" for Google, but like...R&D, production, marketing, plus paying for timed exclusives or simply handing developers bags of cash for Stadia ports could not have been cheap overall.

A sadly predictable and inevitable end for the hardware, guess it gets added to the Google Graveyard now.
    I am sure that the upfront costs to design, prototype and manufacture the Stadia controllers alone was in the tens of millions. No doubt tens of millions more to develop the software and get the network infrastructure up and running, if not more. I wouldn't be surprised if they sunk a billion bucks into developing Stadia.

Sucks for that RDR2 player that loses 6000 hours of his time...

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I am sure that the upfront costs to design, prototype and manufacture the Stadia controllers alone was in the tens of millions. No doubt tens of millions more to develop the software and get the network infrastructure up and running, if not more. I wouldn't be surprised if they sunk a billion bucks into developing Stadia.
    That's what I'm curious about - because yeah, the investment isn't exactly "small" for something like this; but at the numbers Google deals with - "small for them" I guess?

I thought the same thing about googleglass and other 'innovations' they've pushed through the years that they then turn around and seem to just 'drop' with little thought. I KNOW google isn't dropping things "without thinking about it", but they do seem to be a bit ...impulsive (?) in deciding what major tech to dive all the $$$ into for R&D and advertising and product production - only to 'drop it all' a year or two later.

Its just numbers that are so large as to be almost 'meaningless' to most of us - its hard to fathom a business that can make/break/deal/lose those large amounts and seemingly have 'no negative consequence' on the bottom line from it. (Or at least, not enough negative consequences to make them change the model.)

Just...flabergasting (to my mind) to be a business that does that with millions/billions - but google has shown, time and again, they are perfectly willing to be that business. And shown us consumers, time and again, not to be the first adopters into anything Google is pushing. =D

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Sucks for that RDR2 player that loses 6000 hours of his time...
    Yeah - that really does suck. I feel for all the players. Even with a refund - the odds of any of these platforms transferring over characters/time invested in their games is probably low to zero %. (Certainly not Rockstar, who doesn't give two shits for RDR2/RDRO anymore and is also showing, time and again now, how little they value their vested players overall.)

Just sucks. :/
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.