Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    It is New Zealand we dont have much of a black market for arms

- - - Updated - - -

I think the idea is that it forces you to buy more ammo has less potential to be used to kill 50 people
    I mean I don't know anyone that does not have at least 200 rounds on hand for each of their chambered rifle sizes.

That is scary
    my dad has at least 5,000 rounds.

Typically he just goes skeet shooting, and goes to a range.

My brother concealed carries damn near always.

I'm over here with my antique ww1 rifle with a lock on the trigger and no bullets

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    The AR-15 is an amazing hunting Rifle, I have one and love it, they are affordable to build and the Ammo is cheap enough. I use mine several times a year when we go hunting. Just used it the other day to take out a Rabid Opossum, The whole Magazine thing is dumb also it just forces you to buy more mags. i have 1 30 round Mag which lasts me about 3-4 weeks in the hunting season. If I had to follow the more strict states and have 10 Round Mags Id just have to have 3 more mags to do the same thing.
    I have never heard this from any of the people I know who hunt they all say it is too clunky compared to a regular hunting rifle some like it because of the magazine capacity that's all.

5+ Year Old Account
    It wasnt the number of rounds I was concerned about
    I was preparing a response based on round count...glad I refreshed before I started typing out the reply. What is the concern, then? The "per rifle" bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Why doyou need extended magazines? Why does anyway?

If you say it last you weeks clearly you don't need a huge one.
    Too lazy to reload, honestly I think some " hunters" kind of miss the point of the whole exercise.

That is scary
    Why is this scary? I burn through nearly 400 Rounds of .223 ammo in a year from our Yearly Prairie Dog hunt and just plunking in my grove. The Shotgun ammo I buy when It's on sale, I rarely use the Shotguns other than to Dispatch the random Coon or other Vermin that my Dogs get a hold of. My barn has become infested with Wood chucks the last few years so I am constantly shooting them. LOL the other night my wife's little Shi-Poo ankle biter grabbed the tail of a Opossum that was easily 3 times his size and pulled it out of one of the out buildings. I didn't want them to get into it and have to deal with the blow back of the loss of her dog so I did grab the 12GA and blast it. That little shit was all proud of himself for like 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    There's a difference "trees" are well defined. "Assault rifle" is not.
    Oh really?

"An assault rifle is a selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. Assault rifles were first used during World War II. Though Western nations were slow to accept the assault rifle concept, by the end of the 20th century they had become the standard weapon in most of the world's armies, replacing full-powered rifles and sub-machine guns in most roles. Examples include the StG 44, AK-47 and the M16 rifle."

Or do you prefer the Oxford dictionary?

"NOUN
    A lightweight rifle developed from the sub-machine gun, which may be set to fire automatically or semi-automatically."

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I have never heard this from any of the people I know who hunt they all say it is too clunky compared to a regular hunting rifle some like it because of the magazine capacity that's all.
    I have a nicer scope on my bolt action, but both it and my AR have relatively the same effective range, about 400 Yards is the Max I can have any consistency. Idk for Coyote Hunting there is nothing better than an AR, although it is pretty fun to find something at 800+ yards and break out the 6.5.

5+ Year Old Account
    No it is the poster
    Oh, gotcha. I couldn't tell from your context. I don't know Schwank (sorry Schwank).

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I don't hunt (I can't stomach the cleaning bit, tbh) but I do own an AR15. Could you be more particular about what they mean by clunky? The only thing I can think of as "clunky" on an AR15 (or AR10 for that matter) would be play between the upper and lower receivers, but I can't imagine it'd be so bad as to scare game.

Because it is you.

The fact you call raccoons "coons" certainly doesnt help
    OK, that is what everyone calls them. so what is the issue?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Oh really?

"An assault rifle is a selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. Assault rifles were first used during World War II. Though Western nations were slow to accept the assault rifle concept, by the end of the 20th century they had become the standard weapon in most of the world's armies, replacing full-powered rifles and sub-machine guns in most roles. Examples include the StG 44, AK-47 and the M16 rifle."

"NOUN
    A lightweight rifle developed from the sub-machine gun, which may be set to fire automatically or semi-automatically."
    I mean if you go with this definition then there are no "Assault Rifles" owned by every day citizens in the US, because you cannot legally own a fully auto gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper0329 View Post
    Oh, gotcha. I couldn't tell from your context. I don't know Schwank (sorry Schwank).

I don't hunt (I can't stomach the cleaning bit, tbh) but I do own an AR15. Could you be more particular about what they mean by clunky? The only thing I can think of as "clunky" on an AR15 (or AR10 for that matter) would be play between the upper and lower receivers, but I can't imagine it'd be so bad as to scare game.
    The play between the upper and lower is mainly dependent on the parts. I have some cheaper lowers that have quite a bit of slop when assembled with my Uppers, but the good ones usually don't have much play at all.

Why is this scary? I burn through nearly 400 Rounds of .223 ammo in a year from our Yearly Prairie Dog hunt and just plunking in my grove. The Shotgun ammo I buy when It's on sale, I rarely use the Shotguns other than to Dispatch the random Coon or other Vermin that my Dogs get a hold of. My barn has become infested with Wood chucks the last few years so I am constantly shooting them. LOL the other night my wife's little Shi-Poo ankle biter grabbed the tail of a Opossum that was easily 3 times his size and pulled it out of one of the out buildings. I didn't want them to get into it and have to deal with the blow back of the loss of her dog so I did grab the 12GA and blast it. That little shit was all proud of himself for like 3 days.
    Biggest redneck on MMOC?

You are going to be in for a shock if you ever travel the world.

I mean if you go with this definition then there are no "Assault Rifles" owned by every day citizens in the US, because you cannot legally own a fully auto gun.
    It says "set to fire automatically or semi-automatically" right there.
    Last edited by Jambalam; 2019-03-21 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalam View Post
    Biggest redneck on MMOC?

I travel all over the world already, guess what most places I have been and people I have talked to especially in the US have the same interests and do the same things I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Oh really?

"NOUN
    By both of those definitions, an ar15 is not an assault rifle. They are not selective fire. They are not automatics.

5+ Year Old Account
    The play between the upper and lower is mainly dependent on the parts. I have some cheaper lowers that have quite a bit of slop when assembled with my Uppers, but the good ones usually don't have much play at all.
    That I've heard; my lower is a SIG M400 and hasn't rattled a bit with either the 20" PSA upper I have now or the old 16" 300BLK it shipped with. But presuming someone is out hunting with an AR, can that slop really be so bad as to scare game?

Honestly don't know; I've never had occasion to deal with a sloppy AR.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    By both of those definitions, an ar15 is not an assault rifle. They are not selective fire. They are not automatics.
    Definitions never stopped anyone before though!

The whole racial slur bit
    I guess I don't call people that because they are not animals? IDK never really understood the whole racial slur term associated with it. Since everyone just calls Raccoons around here coons. If it offends someone then I guess Ill just place them among the Vermin category and not use it anymore, they are just everywhere around here and by far the most common issue people have to deal with in getting into buildings and vehicles and making a huge mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalam View Post
    Biggest redneck on MMOC?

It says "set to fire automatically or semi-automatically" right there.
    Read the full quote. "May be set to fire automatically of semi-automatically". Refer to the "selective fire" part in the first definition as well.

A military m16 can be set between different modes. An ar15 can not.

- - - Updated - - -

That I've heard; my lower is a SIG M400 and hasn't rattled a bit with either the 20" PSA upper I have now or the old 16" 300BLK it shipped with. But presuming someone is out hunting with an AR, can that slop really be so bad as to scare game?

Definitions never stopped anyone before though!
    Ppl that dont know about guns shouldn't try to make laws about guns lol.

Misnomer or wrong use of a term doesn't change the fact that they exist. As far as I know, the media likes to use the term assault weapon to describe guns in the stylings of the semi-fire only version of the AR-15, and that term is made up and doesn't describe any specific type of weapon.

And if it is, legally, not possible for a US citizen to own a full-auto rifle, then yes, there are no assault rifles in legal posession of US citizens.

I guess I don't call people that because they are not animals? IDK never really understood the whole racial slur term associated with it. Since everyone just calls Raccoons around here coons. If it offends someone then I guess Ill just place them among the Vermin category and not use it anymore, they are just everywhere around here and by far the most common issue people have to deal with in getting into buildings and vehicles and making a huge mess.
    Lol we call em coons here too. I wouldnt worry abt her.

I've never had an issue with it, but then again I have all my Rifles setup as mid to long guns. If it's within 50 yards or less I'm going to use a Shotgun. more then 50 Ill use a rifle.

I do like the 80% lowers and machining them myself though I can get them to be matched perfectly to the upper it's going to go on.

Contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly legal for a law-abiding American citizen to own/possess a machine gun (sometimes called a full-auto firearm or automatic weapon).

Of course, there are some restrictions on machine gun ownership/possession for non-government/law enforcement personnel.