Thread: [Movie] Us

10+ Year Old Account

[Movie] Us

Us is an upcoming American horror film written, produced and directed by Jordan Peele under the Monkeypaw Productions banner. It stars Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke, Elisabeth Moss, and Tim Heidecker. Jason Blum also produces the film under his Blumhouse Productions banner.

Release date: March 15, 2019 (USA)

Director: Jordan Peele

Distributed by: Universal Pictures

Production company: Blumhouse Productions

Screenplay: Jordan Peele
    The dopest trailer I've seen all year.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

That looks creepy as fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    This and Brightburn have piqued my interest.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Without spoilers, I definitely don't think it's better or equal to Get Out.

The final act really doesn't come together like he hoped, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    Without spoilers, I definitely don't think it's better or equal to Get Out.

The final act really doesn't come together like he hoped, I imagine.
    Yeah, it really loses steam about 2/3 of the way through.

Trying to examine the premise at all causes it to make less and less sense, then you add in a twist and you'd think that would help bring the narrative together but it just kinda falls apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think it was better than Get Out. Get Out is a deeper movie though, most of this one is right there on the surface. There was some nice cinematography and playing on old horror/suspense tropes. Without getting into spoilers, the movie can be split into 3 main parts. The first one feels rushed for obvious reasons if you see the movie - definitly had annoyed. Everything was shown in the trailers. Everything. The choregraphy, score, editing, of the final fight scene was amazing. The [I]twist[/I] was pretty cliche but done well enough. Some pieces come together but it felt pretty. The only thing it really explained is why the lady didn't want to go to the beach. Someone said in the last scene the helicopters were shooting at the line. If so thats a nice little addition to the genre.. Everything in the movie is purposeful if only to add a little depth to a later scene.

8/10.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Yeah, it really loses steam about 2/3 of the way through.

Trying to examine the premise at all causes it to make less and less sense, then you add in a twist and you'd think that would help bring the narrative together but it just kinda falls apart.
    What did make sense?

The clones were part of some underground lab or something. The main purpose was to figure out how to control people. That explains why they mimicked what people were doing above.The details really don't matter except they were abandoned and treated less than human. Whoever ran it assumed that they clones/shadows/whatever had no human agency but turns out the clones did. They way they were treated it what drove them insane.

Non-clone Lupita escaped as a child and ended up 'normal' while her original went insane due to the conditions of the underground facility. The original Lupita wanted the life that was stolen from her back, as well as revenge for the clones. She wanted the world to feel the pain that they went through. Clone Lupita knew that the original would some day try to escape because she of the kind of hell her counterpart was going through. Clone Lupita herself had PTSD from her childhood. They didn't explain how the clones were able to establish their free will (or I missed that line).

A lot of the story is built upon old doppelganger/shadow people folklore with a contemporary twist outside of your normal, "demonic/haunted house" setting. The copies were just like their orignal but from a much darker and twisted reality. They were self aware but had to live out the lives of their 'original'. So like the 'original' Lupita said, she had guy she did not choose attached to her but she couldn't leave him. She ended up have two childen she didn't choose to have with a man she could say she even loved or hated because no one down there had free will.

They never explain why the boy still sorts of hard control over his counterpart.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-03-23 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    What did make sense?

The clones were part of some underground lab or something. The main purpose was to figure out how to control people. That explains why they mimicked what people were doing above.The details really don't matter except they were abandoned and treated less than human. Whoever ran it assumed that they clones/shadows/whatever had no human agency but turns out the clones did. They way they were treated it what drove them insane.
    The logistics to pull it off in the first place, creating underground facilities and cloning literally every person in the United States. Then when they decided to mothball the project they didn't euthanize all the subjects? Even if they didn't believe the shadows would have the agency to escape it seems inevitable that one of the facilities would end up being discovered during construction and cause a huge ethics scandal.

Non-clone Lupita escaped as a child and ended up 'normal' while her original went insane due to the conditions of the underground facility. The original Lupita wanted the life that was stolen from her back, as well as revenge for the clones. She wanted the world to feel the pain that they went through. Clone Lupita knew that the original would some day try to escape because she of the kind of hell her counterpart was going through. Clone Lupita herself had PTSD from her childhood. They didn't explain how the clones were able to establish their free will (or I missed that line).

A lot of the story is built upon old doppelganger/shadow people folklore with a contemporary twist outside of your normal, "demonic/haunted house" setting. The copies were just like their orignal but from a much darker and twisted reality. They were self aware but had to live out the lives of their 'original'. So like the 'original' Lupita said, she had guy she did not choose attached to her but she couldn't leave him. She ended up have two childen she didn't choose to have with a man she could say she even loved or hated because no one down there had free will.

Why would the original Lupita want revenge for the shadows? Seemingly it was the shadows that were responsible for her remaining underground for the next 33 years. Why would the original begin to mimic the shadow when she took up dancing for her therapy? Where the hell did they come up with a matching uniforms for everyone in these facilities when they decided to attack the surface? Why does the original suddenly regain the ability to control the actions of the shadow in the end? If the original Lupita became aware of the actions of her shadow living on the surface, then shouldn't everyone also be somewhat aware of their shadow selves living underground?

They never explain why the boy still sorts of hard control over his counterpart.
    It seems like a thing that comes and goes, I don't think it was so much that they 'broke' the tethering, but they acted as they could when they had free will, or they get extreme OCD to mimic their originals. It raises the question of why we didn't see this exhibited more throughout the movie though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    The logistics to pull it off in the first place, creating underground facilities and cloning literally every person in the United States. Then when they decided to mothball the project they didn't euthanize all the subjects? Even if they didn't believe the shadows would have the agency to escape it seems inevitable that one of the facilities would end up being discovered during construction and cause a huge ethics scandal.

[/spoiler]

Why would the original Lupita want revenge for the shadows? Seemingly it was the shadows that were responsible for her remaining underground for the next 33 years. If the original Lupita became aware of the actions of her shadow living on the surface, then shouldn't everyone also be somewhat aware of their shadow selves living underground?

Original Lupita's shadow trapped her, not the others, so she had no problem with them. I would say she empathized with them. They became 'her people'. She knew what it was liked to be trapped, she knew their pain and their struggles. Like any revenge driven villain, she wanted society to feel the pain of the outcasts/underprivileged.

Peele wanted the audience to see that even though the shadows were a bunch of crazies, they were that way for a reason - kind of justified reason considering what they went through. Doesn't mean they were justified in their actions but you can see what led them to what they'd become.

[QUOTE]Why would the original begin to mimic the shadow when she took up dancing for her therapy? [/QUOTE]

Lupita's character said the purpose of the shadows was to figure out how to control people. I'm fine with assuming that the original Lupita was subject to the same thing that forced the shadows to comply. In my head canon Lupita mustered up enough willpower to overthrow whoever was controlling them down there.

[QUOTE]Where the hell did they come up with a matching uniform for everyone in these facilities when they decided to attack the surface? [/QUOTE]

In a supply closet for whoever tended the place.

[QUOTE]Why does the original suddenly regain the ability to control the actions of the shadow in the end? [/QUOTE]

Did she? Seems like she just knew what [I]herself[/I] would do and was a little arrogant about it (which got her killed). Originals and shadows were essentially the same person but raised under different circumstances. (Wish I could remember peoples names)But the only lady's shadow had the same quirks about her appearance. The boy's shadow was a much as playful trickster as him. Right before he died he was doing the same 'beat' (it wasn't on beat) that boy did in care on the way to the beach. So Original Lupita could predict how her shadow would react to her, and you could see how the shadow was getting frustrated because knew (Shadow Lupita) was doing. Think about it, how do you beat yourself if your clone knows everything you do?

[QUOTE]If the original Lupita became aware of the actions of her shadow living on the surface, then shouldn't everyone also be somewhat aware of their shadow selves living underground?[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. The Lupitas were the only ones who knew about their other half. The people on the surface had no clue and the people below just knew they had no control of themselves. There was nothing that would lead them to believe that there was an [I]other[/I].

It's about how there are black people like Peel who are pretty much just like any middle class person and there are scary black poor people, like gang members. Poor people are dangerous.

This is true about white people too, you have your safe middle class white people and then you have dangerous poor white people.

I think this is what the movie is about in a broad sense.

Good movie, lots to think about. We'll probably see it again.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland