Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

2020 Candidate Andrew Yang Takes a Stand Against Circumcision

(Source)
    A few months ago, Andrew Yang was the longest of long shots to land the Democratic nomination. Now, he’s polling as a fringe contender, thanks in part to some outside-the-box policy proposals that have gained traction in certain corners of the Internet. In a recent interview with the Daily Beast, Yang became the first, and likely only, 2020 candidate to take a stand against circumcision. “I’m highly aligned with the intactivists,” he said. “History will prove them even more correct.”

Not only does Yang, 44, align himself with intactivists, a name for those who oppose circumcision, he wants to incorporate the position into public policy. “From what I’ve seen, the evidence on it being a positive health choice for the infant is quite shaky,” added Yang, who has no plans to ban circumcision, only to “inform parents that it is entirely up to them whether their infant gets circumcised, and that there are costs and benefits either way.”

“The more choice we give parents, and the more we diminish the possible preconceptions or misinformation various parents are receiving, then the better off we’ll be as a society,” he said.

Circumcision has been found to reduce the risk of urinary tract infections in infants and sexually transmitted diseases in men. The practice has been endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics and recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But UTIs in infants are rare and treatable, and intactivists believe there are better ways to reduce the risk of STDs than performing surgery on an infant’s genitals. “I think there’s nothing more inhumane than tying down a baby or a child and amputating a healthy, normal part of his body,” Intact America founder Georganne Chapin told the Daily Beast, adding that she thinks Yang’s campaign slogan, “Humanity First,” is “awesome.”
    I guess this is a good start, but ultimately not enough as many would like it to go. Infant circumcision is largely unnecessary and violates the bodily autonomy of children for no reason other than for the look.

Even in cases of phimosis (which isn't really detectable in infants and young children anyway), circumcision remains a last resort operation relative to less invasive treatments like practicing good hygiene or using medications.

UPDATE: I was unaware that circumcision was added as a banned topic. Moderators feel free to close this thread
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-03-22 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Even in cases of phimosis (which isn't really detectable in infants and young children anyway), circumcision remains a last resort operation relative to less invasive treatments like practicing good hygiene or using medications.
    Phimosis isn't a condition you can avoid with "good hygiene" or medication, though.

Or rather, it has little relation to them.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Been awhile since we had a circumcision thread...

"Intactivist" is a name meant to underscore the importance of keeping the genitals preserved in it`s natural state without the unecessary use of
    surgical intervention?
    If so it comes across abit comedical, as if branding an opposing view with an "ist", though it`s intentions are good.

Circumcision on babies are a breach and violation of a person right of choice, regardless of it`s religious context it`s an abuse
    of a person who is in a vulnerable position, unable to prevent the act from being performed on them.
    Though if they wish to do so when of legal age it`s their choice.

Well hes done. Still he had a good run.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Phimosis isn't a condition you can avoid with "good hygiene" or medication, though.

Or rather, it has little relation to them.
    Not consumable medication, but topical steroid creams can be applied to loosen the foreskin. Good hygiene also can prevent phimosis, as this excerpt taken from Harvard Medical School's site states:
    Phimosis may be prevented by good hygiene. This includes fully pulling back the foreskin, so you can clean under it during bathing.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_...himosis-a-to-z

Unrelated to your comment, but also important to note is that phimosis only really applies to older children and adults. Infants and children under six are supposed to have tight foreskins as it shields the head of the penis from exposure to fecal matter and urine.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-03-22 at 04:09 PM.

What if the circumcision could be done prebirth? When it's just a fetus and doesnt have rights. Would that be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    "Intactivist" is a name meant to underscore the importance of keeping the genitals preserved in it`s natural state without the unecessary use of surgical intervention?
    If so it comes across abit comedical, as if branding an opposing view with an "ist", though it`s intentions are good.
    Intact-ivist. People who think children's genitals should be kept intact. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It is pretty wrong that parents can just mutilate their children on the grounds of finding the circumcised penis more pleasing to look at (What the fuck) or religion.

why is cutting off some of your dick for religious reasons bad but cutting off all your dick because you feel like a women good. why can they both be just something folks do...like tats or piercings or any other type of human augmentations. So many folks looking to be the judges of others...
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Sounds like he's not interested in winning the election.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    What if the circumcision could be done prebirth? When it's just a fetus and doesnt have rights. Would that be ok?
    I don't believe it is surgically possible to circumcise a fetus, so there's that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    why is cutting off some of your dick for religious reasons bad but cutting off all your dick because you feel like a women good.
    You can do whatever you want to your dick.

You can do whatever you want to your dick.
    i don't really think this statement is true..
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Probably because it's a banned topic
    Yeah, just re-read the rules...I put an update asking mods to close this thread, if it's any consolation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Probably because it's a banned topic
    Is it a banned topic? Seriously it makes sense if it falls under religious debate but I didn’t know.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, just re-read the rules...I put an update asking mods to close this thread, if it's any consolation.

Really?! We talk about abortion from time to time. Hell I wouldn’t have known either.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Is it a banned topic? Seriously it makes sense if it falls under religious debate but I didn’t know.

- - - Updated - - -

Really?! We talk about abortion from time to time. Hell I wouldn’t have known either.
    I disagree with the choice of the moderators to ban a lot of topics, but I understand why they do it.

So if circumcision is done in infancy and mutant abilities don't manifest until puberty would Wolverine's foreskin grow back or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    i don't really think this statement is true..
    It's the most ethical answer. You can do whatever you want to your body, but don't think you can do it to others without their consent.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Intact-ivist. People who think children's genitals should be kept intact. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
    It seems redundant, if you want to champion a specific cause you could just be an activist for the prevention of circumcision.
    But it`s not important, the overall message is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    It seems redundant, if you want to champion a specific cause you could just be an activist for the prevention of circumcision.
    But it`s not important, the overall message is good.
    I've always just seen it as the "anti-circumcision movement". Seems like the most straightforward name if you ask me.