Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How come Seaworld gets a lot of hate but not Rodeos?

I kind of notice a lot of animal rights activists are silent about that.

And as a follow up

What are some animal abuses you notice kind of get a free pass?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Rodeos are a lot less mainstream than Seaworld.

And I would not say they get a free pass as much as media assuming there's not much gain in going after "those hillbillies and their weird entertainment." They would much rather talk about guns, after all.

Also, Rodeo's don't attempt to hold themselves up as the saviors of endangered horses. They are what they are, and everyone knows it.

The threads you make are often best answered with, "Why are you the way you are?" Or maybe, "Do you think your parents/teachers should be held criminally responsible for your education?"

Other answer: They don't get a free pass. The same people who hate seaworld hate rodeos more. The reason seaworld gets more attention is that more people disagree with those people about seaworld than disagree with them about rodeos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Rodeos are a lot less mainstream than Seaworld.

And I would not say they get a free pass as much as media assuming there's not much gain in going after "those hillbillies and their weird entertainment." They would much rather talk about guns, after all.

Also, Rodeo's don't attempt to hold themselves up as the saviors of endangered horses. They are what they are, and everyone knows it.
    Rodeos are pretty popular and family oriented all over the southern part of the U.S and even in Calgary AB, Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The threads you make are often best answered with, "Why are you the way you are?" Or maybe, "Do you think your parents/teachers should be held criminally responsible for your education?"

Other answer: They don't get a free pass. The same people who hate seaworld hate rodeos more. The reason seaworld gets more attention is that more people disagree with those people about seaworld than disagree with them about rodeos.
    Yeah and instead of your silly personal attack maybe you could answer why is one considered worse. Rather than stating the fucking obvious to you.

Dolphins and Whales are more marketable (and likely smarter) than Bulls

Edit: For instance, you are 1000% more likely to find a plushie dolphin/whale than you are a bull (unless you live in Chicago). That makes dolphins and whales more sympathetic and more likely to garner protests if they are perceived to be abused.
    Last edited by Redwyrm; 2019-03-21 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Dolphins and Whales are more marketable (and likely smarter) than Bulls
    What about horses, Rodeos are dicks to horses too. And horses seem to be well liked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rodeos get a shitload of hate, what rock do you live under?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Who knows. This is basically the essence of mallcop. Make clueless statement, get outraged when people roll their eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Assuming your premise was true: Rodeos use domesticated animals. Seaworld uses captive wildlife.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Really because I’ve like seen almost none. I’ve seen a bit about dogs, cats and sometimes horses and sure as shit a lot about dolphins and Sea World. Almost nothing about Rodeos.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Who knows. This is basically the essence of mallcop. Make clueless statement, get outraged when people roll their eyes.

Nobody is getting outraged. It’s just a question one that you tried to sound smart with an answer and came up with both as per usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea what happens at a rodeo I just know it's bad

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    What about horses, Rodeos are dicks to horses too. And horses seem to be well liked.
    I can't explain horses and rodeos. I think the fact that SeaWorld doesn't have a culture/history backing up it's business and treatment of mammals like rodeos do, means they are easier targets for protests. It's a us versus the corporation thing in SeaWorld's case. When it comes to rodeos it's a us versus basically Texas culture.

i think two things come into play when it comes to how humans deem importance in the life of others animals. How cute it is and how large it is. How many folks give a shit about the million of insects killed via pesticides? how many bacteria do we care for? At the end of it all though its kinda mute. Humans are predators, our path to getting here is paved with the bones of those we killed and ate. Caring now about humans treat animals is kinda funny, like watching a mass murdering lecturing on the dangers of harming another.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Horses and cattle are domesticated animals and far less intelligent than either bottlenose dolphins or orcas. In fact dolphins are regarded as second to humans in cognition, possibly understanding concepts that chimpanzees and bonobos can't even master.

Orcas (and elephants for that matter) also possess a highly developed (but not very understood) limbic system, the part of the brain associated with emotions. Seemingly more complex than any primate (including humans). It's very possible that certain cetaceans may possess a "distributed sense of self".

The latter fact is important because most orcas and dolphins in captivity are NOT related, nor are they even a part of the same subspecies or culture, they may not even "speak" the same languages. This, coupled with the relatively crammed and sedentary nature of those large pools, may foster extreme mental illness and psychotic behaviors in orcas, which can be dangerous for human trainers.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-03-21 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    As a non-American, I’ve heard of and actually been to Seaworld (Before finding out about their practices). I’ve never heard of Rodeos.

One is probably bigger and more famous than the other.

I kind of notice a lot of animal rights activists are silent about that.

And as a follow up

Rodeo's get hate too, just not nearly as much as Seaworld, and certainly not by the same mainstream news outlets.

Seaworld sets itself up as a sanctuary and savior of many of their animals, which may be true, but they're also making money off of training them to perform in shows so...may seem a bit hypocritical to some people.

Rodeos don't pretend to be anything but what they are, they're not saving animals, they're not trying to be a sanctuary and they're not nearly as far reaching in viewership/ patrons as Seaworld is.

I don't think any animal abuses get a free pass, as you say, it's just how newsworthy it is. How many hits a site would get for publishing the story. Some random dude in a small town beating the shit out of every animal he can find probably won't make much more than the front page of his local newspaper, if that. A Seaworld employee punching a dolphin in a show would make the news everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I can't explain horses and rodeos. I think the fact that SeaWorld doesn't have a culture/history backing up it's business and treatment of mammals like rodeos do, means they are easier targets for protests. It's a us versus the corporation thing in SeaWorld's case. When it comes to rodeos it's a us versus basically Texas culture.
    Yeah that makes sense. Hear a bit about not eating animals and vegan lifestyles as well. I wonder what other kinds of animal abuse gets missed and why.

There are significantly more Cattle/Horses in the world, the majority of them domesticated, than there are Cetaceans, which have never been domesticated.

Mutilating (clipping ears and tails) dogs and cats so they ""look better"" to some current though abhorrent human social standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really because I’ve like seen almost none. I’ve seen a bit about dogs, cats and sometimes horses and sure as shit a lot about dolphins and Sea World. Almost nothing about Rodeos.
    You must be willfully ignoring it or truly do live under a rock then, because there's a huge amount of backlash every year at big rodeo events. Predominantly due to two staple events - calf roping and chuckwagon racing. Calf roping because it traumatizes young animals and chuckwagon racing because its so dangerous that it constantly kills horses.

Most humane societies across Canada and the US have issued written statements that protest rodeos as a whole or certain rodeo events, and there are always protests outside the big rodeos when they take place, as well as a ton of critical articles and editorials. The Calgary Stampede in particular receives a tremendous amount of negative press every year.

Even many people involved in rodeo think certain events like chuckwagon racing should be banned because it's so dangerous to the animals. No one, competitor or spectator, wants to see horses with bloody shattered limbs having to be put down on the track after a crash. Have you ever heard a horse scream? It's not something you ever forget.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    My Uncle has raised horses and put them rodeos. He had also been bitten, broken bones, stomped feet, and thrown multiple times. To the best of my knowledge, he never mistreated any of them. So that is a gross mischaracterization.

I can't really defend what they do to the cows, and a few rodeos do mistreat the horses by roping them, but most have banned that and never even took part in it.
    Calf roping is still a popular event and it still happens in a lot of places. You're right about the horses though, they're generally not mistreated - it's just that certain events (see above) are so insanely dangerous that horses die on the track at nearly every event.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.